Running internet explorer on XBMC
Guys Hi,

i need your help please.

I followed the instructions described here, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68858 and it worked in creating a menu called internet.
However, the command <onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe)</onclick> does not work because it says it can not find c:\program. It seems it can not read the spaces between the word program and files. Although i have tried putting it between [] or "", it still doesnt work. How can i make this work?

any ideas?
Hi,

I use this
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...d+launcher
to get Firefox running

and installed this (for Confluence)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82065

where all the other skins are located.
I have Firefox now in the home menu, starting with no probs
You could try:

<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\Firefox.exe)</onclick>

Every long filename has an 8 letter abbreviated form like "Progra~1" for "Program Files". You can use "dir /X C:\" and "dir /X C:\Progra~1" to check the short filenames are correct.

JR
Jhsrennie,

once again thank you. The good news, it works! the bad news! when i close (x button) internet explorer, the xbmc does not pop up again, but i remain in windows 7 desktop. How can i resolve this?

also, with the above system.exec command i can put any program i like, right? For instance i want to put item id (unique) for dvb viewer so the usb digital tv stick works "through" xbmc. I can do this, right?
dfalir Wrote:Guys Hi,

i need your help please.

I followed the instructions described here, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68858 and it worked in creating a menu called internet.
However, the command <onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe)</onclick> does not work because it says it can not find c:\program. It seems it can not read the spaces between the word program and files. Although i have tried putting it between [] or "", it still doesnt work. How can i make this work?

any ideas?

Your title says internet explorer and you are trying to run firefox. Do you even have firefox installed?
dfalir Wrote:Jhsrennie,

once again thank you. The good news, it works! the bad news! when i close (x button) internet explorer, the xbmc does not pop up again, but i remain in windows 7 desktop. How can i resolve this?

also, with the above system.exec command i can put any program i like, right? For instance i want to put item id (unique) for dvb viewer so the usb digital tv stick works "through" xbmc. I can do this, right?

By default XBMC uses a DirectX mode that is very fast but which won't share the display, and as soon as any other app gets the focus it forces XBMC to minimise. Hence the effect you're seeing. There are two ways round this:

1. in System settings, System, Video output enable "Use a full screen window rather than true fullscreen". This uses a slower DirectX mode that will share the display, so XBMC won't b minimised when Firefox/IE starts. However depending on your system you may notice the slowdown in video rendering.

2. write a Python script to launch Firefox/IE along the lines of:

Code:
import sys
import subprocess

if (__name__ == "__main__"):
    child = subprocess.Popen("C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\Firefox.exe")
    rc = child.wait()
    child = subprocess.Popen("C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe")

sys.modules.clear()

this waits for the launched exe to finish, then it runs XBMC again. If you launch XBMC when XBMC is already running it sets the focus back to the running instance of XBMC. The net effect is that XBMC gets the focus again after Firefox has closed. Run this script instead of running C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\Firefox.exe directly.

JR
Thank you for all your replies. YEs, obviously i had internet explorer, and needles to say i changes the source pathes and mozilla.exe to iexplore exe and the according path. JS I am sorry i was stupid i had forgotten a secong onclick command after the <onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\Fir efox.exe)</onclick> (as i said this was progr~1\inter~1 iexplore.exe). Your advice worked fine.

Bottom line, i am very very happy with XBMC. Everything i want i add it in the main menu by the item commands, and it runs just fine. I have put internet explorer, my DVB so i can watch (and record) TV on my projector, and now i will also put mame. LOVE the XBMC!! :-)

One more thing please. I also changed the command in dialog box from suspend to hibernate, because in the suspend command the HTPC never shuts down. So far so good. But i have the same problem as many others have. Once the system resumes, i have a black screen. If i press alt tab, then i see for example my computer, but i can not see again the screen of XBMC unless i shut it down through alt+cntrl+del and then re run it. I am useing HDMI connection. Is there something i can do, so when my computer resumes from hibernation, to work fine with xbmc?

JS, your "lights" please! :-)
Can anybody help with this plz?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running internet explorer on XBMC0