Dumb ? about Ipad 2
Now that the 2nd Generation IPad is out, will the current XBMC development work with the new A5 chip or does the dual core chip matter?
The A5 is tasty, esp. for ATV...the A4 seems so yesterday now....1080p for A4...one can still hope!
Engadget says movie output on iPad2 is still only 720p.

The presentation specifically said "Up to 1080p"
Doesnt strictly speaking say for video though now does it. Last I heard still no proper HD moves in the itunes store so... possibly not. Still you can only imagine that a dual core processor '10 times' faster than the A4 would be capable of a little 1080p decoding...

Probably.

Guess we find out on the 11th.
Check out my stationery blog- http://www.tailormadeinvites.co.uk
Ok, to clarify my statement in case you fellers don't want to do the legwork to check out the Engadget source I was referring to.

The iPad 2 will output a mirror display up to 1080p. However, when outputting a movie, it's gonna limit that to 720p. That's what I meant. But we'll find out what's possible and what's not once we get the hardware in the hands of the masses.

Considering that the current GPU can decode 1080p already. The A5 should definitely be able to do the same. I think the limitation of outputting a 1080p movie signal is entirely in software and probably won't happen until Apple see a business case and revenue opportunity for itself. That or until the pressure of the market requires it.
I guess my question is "will the current port work with the new device, or will there be another build supporting the dual core chip?"

BTW, I was hoping that they would announce another AppleTV with the A5 chipset tooLaugh
i'd bet the AppleTV wont get updated with the A5..
Maetrik Wrote:i'd bet the AppleTV wont get updated with the A5..

doubt it, I read somewhere apple considers the appletv a "Hobby product" e.g. something they do for apple enthusiasts. Given the last update to the apple tv was a 3 years after the first. I think it will be a long time before we see a refresh to the apple tv hardware.
teedd Wrote:doubt it, I read somewhere apple considers the appletv a "Hobby product" e.g. something they do for apple enthusiasts. Given the last update to the apple tv was a 3 years after the first. I think it will be a long time before we see a refresh to the apple tv hardware.

from this article: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/exclu...le-tv-and/

One other interesting tidbit: Apple is at work on the second generation of its redesigned Apple TV, which will include that new A5 processor. The CPU is said to be blazingly fast, cranking out 1080p video "like running water."
maratd Wrote:from this article: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/exclu...le-tv-and/

One other interesting tidbit: Apple is at work on the second generation of its redesigned Apple TV, which will include that new A5 processor. The CPU is said to be blazingly fast, cranking out 1080p video "like running water."
Even if Apple is working on an Apple TV that uses the A5 processor, it doesn't necessarily mean it will come out into the marketplace. They could just have some team working on it "just in case". The rationale for using the A5 in an iPhone or iPad is to run apps faster (read: games) or maybe to keep up with the feature creep in subsequent iOS releases.

Currently the AppleTV is much more limited/focused iOS device compared to the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. If the GPU in the current Apple TV can already decode 1080p why would Apple want to refresh the Apple TV with a more expensive processor that the device won't really take advantage of?

Just my two cents.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dumb ? about Ipad 20