MCE Remote & EventGhost Dissconnecting
I have been using xbmc for a while and love it, however I have just set up a HTPC for my parents, and I am having a problem with the mce romote and eventghost.
Evey time a start the PC I have to rerun EG as administrator, just so it can start registering clicks on the remote, I have EG setup to launch at windows startup, however like I said I have to manually restart EG so I can use the remote control.

and then after a varying amount of time the remote just stops responding in XBMC, so I go to back to see what is wrong and event goes displays:

system.idle
System.unidle

and again I have to restart the system, and as my parents are not very computer literate and I am off to university soon I need to get this sorted.

Thanks in advance
cgh246, if this is for your parents, you should seriously try to configure everything without eventghost. there are some really good, easy to follow guides right here on this forum that will get you setup in no time.

from previous / past experiences, eventghost was a big old pain in the butt for me. it would run at startup, sometimes it wouldn't. kids and wife would constantly get frustrated.
using an htpc and xbmc can sometimes be frustrating for even the most advanced users. i'd try to keep it as simple as possible.
@ cgh246: Can you please tell me what kind of MCE remote your parents will be using so that I can give you the best advise accordingly.

If the remote is Microsoft WMC Certified i.e. "RC6" then you will not need to use Eventghost at all :-)

See this Wiki for information about remotes.

Cheers,
EG.
moosenoz Wrote:cgh246, if this is for your parents, you should seriously try to configure everything without eventghost. there are some really good, easy to follow guides right here on this forum that will get you setup in no time.

from previous / past experiences, eventghost was a big old pain in the butt for me. it would run at startup, sometimes it wouldn't. kids and wife would constantly get frustrated.
using an htpc and xbmc can sometimes be frustrating for even the most advanced users. i'd try to keep it as simple as possible.

hey thanks for the quick response, I would love not to use EG, however when I 1st used the remote with out any configuration there was so much i couldn't do in XBMC, could you point me towards some of these guides as I cant seem to find them.

And @ elitegamer360 I believe I am using the remote shown in the 3rd picture (Microsoft with Teletext) however is doesn't have any Microsoft branding.
cgh246 Wrote:...
And @ elitegamer360 I believe I am using the remote shown in the 3rd picture (Microsoft with Teletext) however is doesn't have any Microsoft branding.

I believe that your remote should be using the eHome driver therefore it will be very easy to setup.

Now you can use my MCE custom configuration setup, tutorial on my site very easy to follow and will let you launch XBMC and bring it to focus etc.... See my site/thread for details. :-)

Or you can use jhsrennie's XBMC MCE Remote Addon, it can be downloaded from within XBMC addons section.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:I believe that your remote should be using the eHome driver therefore it will be very easy to setup.

Now you can use my MCE custom configuration setup, tutorial on my site very easy to follow and will let you launch XBMC and bring it to focus etc.... See my site/thread for details. :-)

Or you can use jhsrennie's XBMC MCE Remote Addon, it can be downloaded from within XBMC addons section.

Cheers,
EG.

Hi thanks for the input, it just so happens that a few hours ago I stumbled upon a thread which led me to your website, And the remote is now working great. Thanks Smile however I am not quite sure how to change some of the settings i.e. when i press the power button on the remote, I would like to the system to go to sleep, and the same to wake it up.

also don't think I should post this here, however i have just installed a XFX HD 5450 gpu into the PC, I chose this card because of the reviews and the ability to have the audio over HDMI (previously using on-board DVI to HDMI adapter)

And I now have visible static lines on the tv, you can especially see these lines when viewing the movie poster in XBMC, I have installed the latest drivers ect.

I have reseated the gpu and restarted the PC it works fine for about 10 mins then back to static lines, any ideas.
cgh246 Wrote:Hi thanks for the input, it just so happens that a few hours ago I stumbled upon a thread which led me to your website, And the remote is now working great. Thanks Smile however I am not quite sure how to change some of the settings i.e.e when i press the power button the remote, I would like to the system to go to sleep, and the same to wake it up.

No probs.

Look on page 32, Post 317 in my thread for detailed instructions on how to do it :-)

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:No probs.

Look on page 32, Post 317 in my thread for detailed instructions on how to do it :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Cool thank you so much. so do have any idea about my GPU issue, or know where is best to ask a bout it?
cgh246 Wrote:Cool thank you so much. so do have any idea about my GPU issue, or know where is best to ask a bout it?

You are welcome :-)

And regarding your GPU card I googled it and looks like it has a HDMI port, now I am not realy sure what is causing this, but I would advise you to try the actual HDMI port on your GPU and I think you will not have issues compared to the DVI to HDMI convertor.

If you want you can continue on this thread or make a new one in the XBMC for Windows Specific Support or XBMC General Help and Support.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:You are welcome :-)

And regarding your GPU card I googled it and looks like it has a HDMI port, now I am not realy sure what is causing this, but I would advise you to try the actual HDMI port on your GPU and I think you will not have issues compared to the DVI to HDMI convertor.

If you want you can continue on this thread or make a new one in the XBMC for Windows Specific Support or XBMC General Help and Support.

Cheers,
EG.

Ah that is the thing, I am using the HDMI port, I just installed the card today, and before I was using the motherboards on board DVI which went to a HDMI adapter. So not sure really what to do here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote & EventGhost Dissconnecting0