[AppleTV 2] How to save SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella
Question 
Hi all,

I know this is not strictly related to XBMC, however as many people on this board having been doing this over the last few weeks I am hoping someone has some insight. I've searched, but can't find an answer to this.

I have an untethered JB using greenpois0n rc6. I have also downloaded Tiny Umbrella latest version (both 4.21.07 and 4.21.08 beta) to save my shsh blobs. However, when I run TU, it doesn't seem to detect my ATV. I don't get anything about my ATV appearing in the window, and the buttons are all greyed out.

The screenshots for the latest versions are different from the tutorials on the web - they seem to be a very old version.

I've tried 3 different machines. I tried two different ATVs (used a friends) and I have tried with USB only and USB/power. Nothing. It does show up in utunes when I plug it in, but TU never shows the ATV.

Anyone done this recently using these versions? How did you get on? Anyone suggest any other way of doing this or what my problem might be?
I had to get mine in recovery mode first, then tiny and itunes found it
What platform do you use? Windows / OSX?
You have to enter the ECID from your Apple TV manually. If you are using a Mac, you will find the ECID in the USB section of the System-Profiler.
I'm using Windows. Can anyone else confirm that I need to get it into recovery mode first?

How would I get the ECID on a Windows platform? Would this be in Device Manager properties?

So you're saying it doesn't actually automatically detect a device when it's connected?
win7 x64 recovery mode, tiny found it and did the do.

Lies about putting the ECID in manually, not saying that it doesn't work, just that I didn't have to on win.

Itunes doesn't even see the thing unless its in recovery either, for me.
I'm in Windows XP right now trying to do it, with latest 32 bit Java VM installed. Plugged the ATV into power and usb, itunes came up, closed it down. Started TU - had to stop IIS first, then restarted. Nothing - it doesn't detect it.

I had a look in Device Manager but can't see where I would get ECID from. Any advice?

I just read on a forum that they don't recommend being in recovery mode, just normal mode is better. But right now I'm willing to give it a go. How do I get into recovery mode?
Now I am just plain confused. I put the ATV into DFU mode (recovery??) and ran usbviewer. A website I read said that using usbviewer with ATV DFU mode would show the ECID. I couldn't see it anywhere under the Apple TV (DFU) node.

When I switched back to TU, it suddenly showed the Apple TV under recent devices. It also showed that the device was NOT connected but when I click save SHSH it showed they were being saved and sent to Cydia.

I unplugged the ATV completely and restarted TU, and it still let me save the SHSH blobs! Where was it getting those from? Isn't it supposed to read them from the ATV itself, or are they cached on my PC somewhere?

Confused. Are they really saved or not?
Look for a folder called shsh in windows my docs or users something like that
Not at my pc at the moment sorry
Yeah, I found them locally. My confusion is where they came from in the first place. I moved the folder to a different location, restarted TU and clicked Save SHSH on the Custom Device is had set up with a manual ECID which matched that in my device. Sure enough, it created all new SHSH blobs, but the ATV wasn't even plugged in!

I wouldn't really care... except I want to be sure that it has actually worked and they are real SHSH blobs for this device! Does this process actually read data from the AppleTV, or is it requesting the SHSH blobs from Apple itself for this ECID or something like this, and therefore the device doesn't even need to be plugged in?

In fact, I just made up an ECID and created a custom device with this, and it still created SHSH blobs for them!?!
Lol I'm no expert on this but in my understanding. The prog queries the device ( I presume the same as u to get the ecid) then this is sent to apple with the firmware version to request authorisation to install the firmware (the shsh). Apple will only sign current ones.
Hense saving the shsh, there is then no need to request the auth from apple. You've exhausted my knowledge on this. I hope you find someone who can help more Smile
Good thread. I wish I knew the answers here. I hope you update with your findings and provide a guideline for us all.
Please someone, post a definitive guide to saving SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella, preferably aimed that those who have already jailbroken and do not want to restore any firmware / put into recovery mode (DFU). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
toshiba1 Wrote:Please someone, post a definitive guide to saving SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella, preferably aimed that those who have already jailbroken and do not want to restore any firmware / put into recovery mode (DFU). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you are concerned with restoring firmware, sounds like you are tethered. Why ? JB's are untethered now.
OK I just used TinyUmbrella to backup my shsh blobs on my Apple TV 2. Running Windows 7 64-bit. ATV2 has firmware 4.1.1 (IOS 4.2.1). Allready untethered jailbroken on Greenpois0n rc6 last week which worked great. XBMC installed on it Smile

Here were the exact steps I did. I'm very precise here, forgive me Smile

1. Installed Java JRE from http://www.java.com because tinyumbrella requires it and I hadn't installed until now
2. downloaded tinyumbrella-4.21.11.exe from thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com
3. totally disconnect ATV2 power/hdmi from TV
4. connect power cable to ATV2, waited 20 secs
5. connect micro USB from ATV2 to PC
6. Waited a while for iTunes to come up. Closed iTunes.
7. Ran tinyumbrella-4.21.11.exe - it immediately recognizes ATV2, Single clicked 'Connected Devices->Apple TV' in upper left of app.. shows 'The device is connected' at bottom, and automatically shows info about it at bottom of app (ECID, firmware rev, serial# etc)
8. Clicked 'Save SHSH' button at upper right
9. App shows that various firmware shsh (AppleTV 4.2 (8C150), AppleTV 4.2.1 (8C154), AppleTV 4.3b2 (8F5153d), AppleTV 4.3b3 (8F5166b)) are being saved, progress meter on bottom moving.
10. After about 1 min 50 seconds, progress meter completes.

After it's all done, under the 'Log' tab it shows this text below. SHSH blobs are saved locally to C:\Users\<user>\.shsh folder and also to Cydia servers.

Quote:02/20/2011 21:24:18.713 Caching shsh files...
02/20/2011 21:24:18.721 Found [0] shsh files to cache...
02/20/2011 21:24:18.726 Cached [0] shsh files
02/20/2011 21:24:18.729 You are using the current version of TinyUmbrella.
02/20/2011 21:24:18.732 Loaded History...
02/20/2011 21:24:19.173 Device connected: Apple TV
02/20/2011 21:24:19.184 Loaded History...
02/20/2011 21:25:14.511 Started saving SHSHs for [Apple TV]
02/20/2011 21:25:18.186 You have saved your AppleTV 4.2 (8C150) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version.
02/20/2011 21:25:18.186 You have saved your AppleTV 4.3b2 (8F5153d) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version.
02/20/2011 21:25:21.028 You have saved your AppleTV 4.3b3 (8F5166b) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version.
02/20/2011 21:25:23.209 You have saved your AppleTV 4.2.1 (8C154) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version.
02/20/2011 21:26:06.413 This device isn't eligible for the requested build.
02/20/2011 21:26:06.428 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR AppleTV 4.1 (8M89) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.
02/20/2011 21:26:06.444 Finished saving SHSHs for [Apple TV]
02/20/2011 21:26:06.506 Caching shsh files...
02/20/2011 21:26:06.506 Found [4] shsh files to cache...
02/20/2011 21:26:06.522 Cached [4] shsh files

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV 2] How to save SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella0