xbmc on android???
so is xbmc coming to Android due to all this honeycombs tablets coming to market?
thanx
I believe the general stance on this question is, "Maybe." There's no denying that there is interest in Android, both from users and from the team, but a lot of coding would have to happen for an XBMC for Android port to exist.
Donations might help, without hardware it will never happen. That being said, there will never be guarantees but it is an interesting platform and sufficient developers with hardware might make it happen.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Donations might help, without hardware it will never happen. That being said, there will never be guarantees but it is an interesting platform and sufficient developers with hardware might make it happen.

what platforms do you want? i have a samsung fascinate a thunderbolt and am planning on getting a HTC flyer and i also planned on getting a samsung i/o tab

i can give up a few of those devices although id like to continue to develop for the flyer

if none of those will suffice lmk i have an array of old android stuff layin round

gtalk - [email protected]
I honestly don't see android being a huge problem. So far I've complied binutils and coreutils for Android. There is a cross compiler available. Just start with all of the pre requisites and go from there.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:I honestly don't see android being a huge problem. So far I've complied binutils and coreutils for Android. There is a cross compiler available. Just start with all of the pre requisites and go from there.

try fontconfig and then you will see the issues.
Lol, fontconfig will never work nor should it be needed (patches for making that optional would be nice). Provide a script to crosscompile smb., MySQL and python and you'd be my hero. Those have been a real pain.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I think xbmc on android will be more interesting when google merges the Google TV, Tablet and Phone versions later this year.

The little Google TV boxes that are starting to appear might make nice xbmc boxes (similar to Apple TV 2).

Ben
I have a Android tablet since a few days.(HTC Flyer)
I'm very impressed about the performance and handling of this device.
Would be awesome to use xbmc on this device .-)
For surfing the net on the living room couch it is imho the the best device I ever
used.

Regards Hans
Just out of curiosity, would XBMC on Android be an appropriate use for the NDK (Native Dev Kit)? I can't imagine re-writing the code in Java!
teaguecl Wrote:Just out of curiosity, would XBMC on Android be an appropriate use for the NDK (Native Dev Kit)? I can't imagine re-writing the code in Java!

xbmc has 7 million lines of code in git currently so no, rewrite to java is not an option.

As explained in other threads, while android is linux its a very limited version which causes porting problems, as those parts which aren't available needs to be worked around or needs to be removed.

davilla Wrote:try fontconfig and then you will see the issues.

Can i ask what is the main tasks to port it.
Is is essentially making a Surfaceflinger/SurfaceComposerClient.h of the windowing/Winsystem interface to replace X11/Xlib.h?

Looking at http://www.android-x86.org/ and it forums they have ffmpeg working on http://groups.google.com/group/android-x...bc30895833 already.

BTW: Did you see https://github.com/vault for fontconfig port

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc on android???0