No idea why... please give me hint
Hello,

I had Transparency working flawless in Windows. It was nicely set under "Movies" page to show the random fanart.

I had to reinstall windows but before I copied the /Program Files/XBMC and User/AppData/Roaming/XBMC folders where basically are all the settings, skins, db, etc.

After windows re-installation, I installed XBMC and then overwrite the folders with previously saved ones. Everything was just fine, including Transparency but under movies it shows the theatre hall (the png img) but no fanart anymore, even if in the settings is set correctly.
I've checked the settings, reloaded the skin but no go.
Then I have uninstalled the skin, then look in the addon folder to make sure was removed, then downloaded again and I noticed that the settings were my settings, not as default. That means that setting are saved in a different location from where the skin is. And by uninstalling it, those setting are not reset.

Please give a hint, what could I do to rest complete the skin and then set it with fanart option to work.

Thanks guys! Smile
skin settings are saved in your userdata folder.

/Program Files/XBMC and User/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/Userdata/guisettings.xml

this file contains both your xbmc settings as well as the settings for all skins you've installed.

you shouldn't have to mess with it though...
all T! settings can be configured in the skin.
check Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Home Movies > Fanart
and Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Home Movies > Options

also have a look if there are any cached fanart images inside
/Program Files/XBMC and User/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/Userdata/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart
(you'll have to scan your movies to the library first)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Hi Ronie Smile

Thank you. I fixed it but need some explanations please. I have done this cut and paste of the folders to avoid scanning the entire library after xbmc re-installation.
So the after second xbmc installation I did not scan the library again (since it takes too long time). I have just copied over the older folders and it seems that at that point I lost this feature.

In User/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/Userdata/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart I have "tbn" files so I guess it OK. Under Movies and Tv Shows, the library looks OK with funart, thumbs, etc. All seems to be fine, no need to rescan.

Then, in the skin settings (Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Home Movies > Fanart) all are as previously set.
But what I did to fix it: under Backgrounds > Home Movies > Fanart I set Custom Backgrounds to the location you specified: ...Userdata/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart and now it all works.
This I do not understand. Why I had to specify the location when as before re-installation I did not Huh
Angi321 Wrote:Hi Ronie Smile

Thank you. I fixed it but need some explanations please. I have done this cut and paste of the folders to avoid scanning the entire library after xbmc re-installation.
So the after second xbmc installation I did not scan the library again (since it takes too long time). I have just copied over the older folders and it seems that at that point I lost this feature.

In User/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/Userdata/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart I have "tbn" files so I guess it OK. Under Movies and Tv Shows, the library looks OK with funart, thumbs, etc. All seems to be fine, no need to rescan.

Then, in the skin settings (Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Home Movies > Fanart) all are as previously set.
But what I did to fix it: under Backgrounds > Home Movies > Fanart I set Custom Backgrounds to the location you specified: ...Userdata/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart and now it all works.
This I do not understand. Why I had to specify the location when as before re-installation I did not Huh

really no clue. this path is hardcoded in the skin,
so there should be no reason to manually specify it.

a debug log might have told you why things didn't work before.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks again Ronie,

If you think about it, you copy a good working XBMC folders, reinstall windows, reinstall XBMC, replace the newly created folders with saved folders, it should be all the same as before, right ?

The only think different that I am thinking it is the registry so some settings that were before were saved in registry because obviously on the new installation were not there. It seems that when selecting a new skin and set it as you wish, xbmc writes some particulars in the registry not only in xmls, don't you think?
Angi321 Wrote:It seems that when selecting a new skin and set it as you wish, xbmc writes some particulars in the registry not only in xmls, don't you think?

as far as i know, it's all in guisettings.xml
but i'm no windows user. ;-)
Thank you very much Ronie. In theory, it should not be different from a platform to another, as you say, it should write only in xml's.
I have recently installed Windows.
I have dual boot on Linux/Maverick and Windows and in Linux I could not make it to work the damned MythTv and implement it in xbmc (it is a long story).

In Wind, the WinTV7 application that comes with the Hauppage tuner card works perfectly so I am looking into implementing it in xbmc somehow.

Thank again for your help. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No idea why... please give me hint0