Power_on Question
Hi

This question is purely computer question.

Is there a way to power on my PC with my remoteHuh

I have set-up auto Login as my videos are on a smb.

This was fine, but when my computer went to sleep and I had to wake it, I had to login needing the keyboard. (I have 2 HTPC one in the basement and one in the bedroom)

Then I changed XBMC not to go to suspend or sleep, then this Big Blue O on the the side of my ZBox would stay lit all night in the bedroom.

So now I want to be able to turn my ZBox on and off using the remote. Either my Logitech or my MC remote.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
netsrac Wrote:Is there a way to power on my PC with my remote?

Maybe. My Mac Mini and Revo 3610 will turn off then turn on again with the power button on my (Microsoft) remote. However I've seen a few posts hereabouts from people complaining that their PC won't turn back on with the remote. It seems to be down to whether the PC BIOS supports it.

JR
Thanks for the reply, I got one of my HTPC's to kinda work.

In my Bios I can turn on from keyboard or mouse, problem is that when using the Power Button on the remote, it just puts the computer to sleep/stand-by when I want to shut down, then I have the Password problem, as Auto Login does not work from sleep or stand-by.

I have to select power down in the exit menu of XBMC, but I am still working on getting the power button to shut down the PC.
netsrac Wrote:Thanks for the reply, I got one of my HTPC's to kinda work.

In my Bios I can turn on from keyboard or mouse, problem is that when using the Power Button on the remote, it just puts the computer to sleep/stand-by when I want to shut down, then I have the Password problem, as Auto Login does not work from sleep or stand-by.

I have to select power down in the exit menu of XBMC, but I am still working on getting the power button to shut down the PC.

I solved The autologin screen this way:

1- I removed the password from my account
2- Right click on your Desktop and select "Personalize"
3- Click on Screen Saver and Untick "On resume, display login screen"
4- Click on "Change Power settings" on the bottom left of the same window 'html like' link.
5- On the top left of the window Click on "Require a password on wakeup"
6- Select 2nd radio button option "Don't require a password"
7- Save Changes, close window, Close power window and hit "OK" on Screen saver settings.
8- Run netplwiz and on the Users tab Untick "Users must enter a username and a password to use this computer" Click "OK"
9- DONE!

And regarding shutdown from the MCE remote you need to map your MCE remote Power button or any "button" of your choice using this combination 0c,00,00,00,03,81,00 [in this case its for the power button]

It can shutdown the system but it can/cant wakeup your system depending on your BIOS settings and/or hardware capability.

For your system to start from Shutdown obviously your Motherboard should be capable of providing power to the USB ports even after shutdown/Hibernate and not just during Sleep. If your Mobo cant do that then you will not be able to start your PC from shutdown by using the remote.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:I solved The autologin screen this way:

1- I removed the password from my account
2- Right click on your Desktop and select "Personalize"
3- Click on Screen Saver and Untick "On resume, display login screen"
4- Click on "Change Power settings" on the bottom left of the same window 'html like' link.
5- On the top left of the window Click on "Require a password on wakeup"
6- Select 2nd radio button option "Don't require a password"
7- Save Changes, close window, Close power window and hit "OK" on Screen saver settings.
8- Run netplwiz and on the Users tab Untick "Users must enter a username and a password to use this computer" Click "OK"
9- DONE!

And regarding shutdown from the MCE remote you need to map your MCE remote Power button or any "button" of your choice using this combination 0c,00,00,00,03,81,00 [in this case its for the power button]

It can shutdown the system but it can/cant wakeup your system depending on your BIOS settings and/or hardware capability.

For your system to start from Shutdown obviously your Motherboard should be capable of providing power to the USB ports even after shutdown/Hibernate and not just during Sleep. If your Mobo cant do that then you will not be able to start your PC from shutdown by using the remote.

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot create a user on my WHS without a password.

I know you can for go the login password on my HTPC, but all my media is on my server, and it will not allow a user to NOT have a password.

Also what I thought was working is no longer working. I do have in my BIOS the ability to turn on the computer via keyboard or mouse, but it is not working. I believe the problem may stem from not using the PS2 connection. (Who uses PS2 these days anyways)

Thank you for the mapping, I will have to find out how to map though.
It can be done with password as well, I think! Same as my 8th step except you have to enter your password.

check this http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automa...in-screen/

I can help you with the mapping, just tell me your setup?

Cheers,
EG.
I wonder if this could be worked around with a powered hub.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power_on Question0