Keymap for Apple remote with big step (download link)
Thanks man, great keymap, very useful.
Shoesy Wrote:I have two in my bathroom.

Snob....
Question 
Ok...

N00b on the mapping thing here Smile

Just dumb question:

I have an ATV2, and so far I find it very useful the way it is, the only thing I'll change it's this:

Press PLAY for x seconds = Info Bar (while playing)

How can I add that to the map (and consequently to the custom map)

Thanks in advance Smile
Kaiserlein Wrote:Hey guys,
you can download the file here:

https://public.me.com/minius/de/

just put the file in: /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/system/keymaps/
while overwriting the original one.

In case you don't like it that way, be sure to save the original file somewhere on your computer.

Also be sure when doing this, you are not in XBMC and restart lowtide afterwards (or: Killall AppleTV).

Greets.

When I click on the above url apple.com tells me my browser is not supported. I think they mean my OS is not supported since I have ff 3.6.13, but I am running on Ubuntu Linux. Is there some other place you could post the file?

Thanks.
chuckkay Wrote:Apple TV 1G has the ability to add more remote buttons from another remote so you don't have to rely on the press and hold method.

After adding the custom remote buttons in the apple tv settings screen xbmc translates those key presses to Button ID 70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77 & 78

I hope to be able to do the same for ATV2, as I just bought 5 of them, 1 for every room in my house.

I haven't received my ATV2 yet but have saved the forum link from when I did this for my ATV1 used with a Harmony Remote.

It might help in figuring out how to map the newly learned keys into XBMC.
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
vtwin0001 Wrote:Ok...

Press PLAY for x seconds = Info Bar (while playing)

How can I add that to the map (and consequently to the custom map)

Thanks in advance Smile
If you're talking about the Play/Pause button on aluminum Apple remote, then it's not possible. The only two button that holding it down sends a BRevent id are the center/select button and the menu button.
Thanks for clarifying this to me, dazex Smile
I've been trying to configure some additional buttons. My ATV2 has learned the playback controls from an old dvd remote and they work in the Movie section of ATV. But when I try to configure them in XBMC I'm having problems. I've changed the keymap so that holding down Menu in fullscreen playback brings up the Info panel which is great, but if I assign key "72" in the same place as "stop" all I get is a brief pause in the sound in XBMC playback.

I know the remote customisation isn't fully implemented in this build but could I flag this up - or could someone explain what I'm doing wrong!

The line I added is:

<button id="72">Stop</button>

Otherwise, superb job guys! I'm sacking my PS3 for this.
littlealex,
What remote are you using? Harmony?
I hope I'm not being too much of a noob here Smile

I grabbed the remote for a Toshiba TV/DVD combi from the bedroom to use and then hopefully port across to my trusty old Pronto. The ATV learned the Tosh remote's commands fine and when I played a cinema trailer in the ATV Movies section it stopped when I pressed the stop button. I then altered the joystick plist file by SSH which has successfully altered the Apple Remote behaviour in Fullscreen video - so the down arrow brings up the Info bar for example. I added the stop button as number 72 (as shown in my post above) at the end of the fullscreen video list but it does nothing - though the sound does dip when pressed so the ATV is noticing it.

To be honest, I've found a workaround which suits me - I've changed the behaviour of "Menu" in playback so it brings up the OSD forcing me to choose "stop". I'm doing this because the resume function in XBMC is a little flaky at the moment (there's a thread about that elsewhere) and it's too tempting to just hit Menu to stop watching which often doesn't leave a bookmark.

Loving the XBMC ATV combo here though!
xml is working fine, thx. but is there a way to change the bigstep to 5min instead of 10?
littlealex Wrote:I've been trying to configure some additional buttons. My ATV2 has learned the playback controls from an old dvd remote and they work in the Movie section of ATV. But when I try to configure them in XBMC I'm having problems. I've changed the keymap so that holding down Menu in fullscreen playback brings up the Info panel which is great, but if I assign key "72" in the same place as "stop" all I get is a brief pause in the sound in XBMC playback.

I know the remote customisation isn't fully implemented in this build but could I flag this up - or could someone explain what I'm doing wrong!

The line I added is:

<button id="72">Stop</button>
This is exactly what is happening on mine also. I'm not sure if the button ids of the additional keys are incorrect, because the Apple TV *is* picking them up, but not working as per the actions defined in the joystick file.
On the topic of keymaps, I noticed you couldn't scroll down or up on a cbz file in pictures. I tried to add a custom keymap as such below:

Added to:

/User/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml

<<keymap>
<SlideShow>
<joystick name="AppleRemote">
<button id="1">ZoomIn</button>
<button id="2">ZoomOut</button>
<button id="3">PreviousPicture</button>
<button id="4">NextPicture</button>
<button id="5">ScrollDown</button>
<button id="6">PreviousMenu</button>
<button id="7"></button>
<button id="8"></button>
<button id="10"></button>
<button id="11"></button>
<button id="12">ScrollUp</button>
<button id="13"></button>
</joystick>
</SlideShow>
</keymap>

It didn't seem to make any change to the functioning, any ideas on what I did wrong? Should it be in a different directory like a profile directory as mentioned above?
If you press a button and it beeps, but doesn't do anything. It means that ATV recognized the command, but that command hasn't been mapped in XBMC source code to the appropriate BREvent ID. Therefore, editing the joystick.AppleRemote.xml won't do you any good.

If you install BTStack, you'll get the BREvent ID outputted to /var/log/syslog when you run the tail command.

Code:
tail /var/log/syslog

The following example is the syslog output when pressing the "Menu" button on the remote:

Code:
Feb 24 23:37:50 Apple-TV AppleTV[150]: dispatchEvent with event:Value : 0/0x0  action : 1       Ret : NO        AllowRet : YES  Dictionary : (null)     Originator : 1  TStmp = 106938.769165

You see where it says action: 1? That is the BREvent ID which in the XBMCController.m source file, maps to Button id=6 in the joystick.AppleRemote.xml.

So, for the developers to be able to help, you need to give us the syslog output for the button you're pressing on your remote like I did in this post here.

BTW, as illustrated in the linked to thread. I discovered 9 buttons, + 4gestures that we were able to modify XBMCController source code to add. So for those with Harmony remotes, they'll have more buttons to map to action shortly. What's keeping us from rolling out the new addition is, one...the devs are busy cleaning up the ATV2 branch in preparation for merging to back to the Main branch. And 2, we are awaiting tomcool to update his SMFramework that conflicts with two of the ATV2 BREvent ID. Until that happens, the update won't get pushed out for public consumption.

Hope that info helps.
johny_dogg Wrote:It didn't seem to make any change to the functioning, any ideas on what I did wrong? Should it be in a different directory like a profile directory as mentioned above?

Where are you getting the xbmc command "ScrollDown" and "ScrollUp?"

From what I see, those are analog commands mapped to the analog sticks on gamepad. So it may not work the way you intend.

Have you tried the "PageDown" and "PageUp" commands to see if that works out better for your purpose?

-dazex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keymap for Apple remote with big step (download link)0