Philips 21:9 TV and XBMC
Did you find the time to put the above together?

Thanks
t2ffn Wrote:Did you find the time to put the above together?

Thanks

I'll upload some tomorrow Wink
Hi t2ffn,

My son came home from school this evening with a 40 C° Fever, and since he's only 3 years old he needs special care. I'll try and do the video later tonight, otherwise it'll be tomorrow night.

Sorry for the delay ...
Regards
Auri.
Dont worry about it, take care of your little one. Xbmc, TVs etc are just a hobby, looking after your family is more important Smile
Meh I have icehockey tonight, and realisticly I don't see myself doing this in the next couple of days as I have to go abroad again for work on thursday and friday.

Sorry for the "excuses" and delays, I'll make time this weekend, I promise.

Rather be honest about it then post an excuse every day. I can imagine you wanna make a decision to buy this TV or not and if you're waiting on my video then again I'm sorry.

I'll upload a video on saturday.

Regards
Auri
Auri, no worries fella, I'm in no 'rush' as it were, was just very interested asthe TV is so reasonable in price now. I may be taking the plunge to see about mortgages so the new TV might have to wait... time will tell I guess

Cheers
Hi t2ffn,

I'm writing from my phone and English is not my native langage so i'll make it quick.
I've had the 21:9 platinium / Mac mini / xbmc combo for 3 months and it has brought my home cinema experience to another level. This Is Just Amazing. Forget about the 16:9 stretching, as long as there's no other standard Tv on your 21:9's side,you won't see the différence. About the black smearing, it's true for the previous model,not the
Platinium which has a much brighter and vivid image as well. The picture processing and quality has also been improved a lot (I had the previous one which was more a prototype/demonstrator than a Tv meant to be saled) The sound is very good, nothing to complain about on this side.
And to finish, about gaming, i don't know for the X box but sony has updated his PS3 for it to support natively the 21:9 in several games including CoD!

My conclusion Is:go for it, but only for the platinium, the price makes a HUGE différence, and 3D Is the best i've seen so far.

Cheers
I'm also very interested in replacing my current 50inch Rear Projection Tv come may / june and have looked at this model.

A lot of people have advised me against it because of the weird aspect ratio but Price wise it's a steal at £999. I was considering the 50inch Samsung 3D plasma for the same price up until I saw this.

I just wanna know how it will handle 4:3 Star Trek shows as well as current 720/1080p Content available online
Babal Wrote:My conclusion Is:go for it, but only for the platinium, the price makes a HUGE différence, and 3D Is the best i've seen so far.

Cheers

Thanks for the info and insights, but there is a massive price difference between the '1st gen' and the current model, somewhere in the £3k region... Shocked
t2ffn Wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice and pictures.

I showed the girlfriend the pictures of this tv vs a 42" http://www.techau.tv/blog/wp-content/upl...mage27.png and got a big Shocked My kinda chick Wink

So, I will look forward to your pics/vid, to help me decide between 50" plsma or this.

Ona side note, some other q's / concerns you may be able to comment on from your 1st hand experience:

Black smearing - seen some complaints that showed it was pretty bad for smearing blacks in dark scenes.

24p judder - the set doesn't support 24p - this doesn't mean much to me though? You see much motion judder?

Gaming - do you use an Xbox 360 on this? Do you lose much screen on Smart Fit?

Picture quality - how do you rate it with good quality source (720/1080p)?

Sound quality - some say brilliant, some say weak?

Set noise - complaints on the net about high pitched noises the set makes? Like an old CRT? That does annoy me, got one in the bedroom! I swear that noise irritates me 90% of the time I watch the TV in there!

Sorry for all the questions, but this could be the replacement for my current plasma, which is more than due for a change! (Its not even 1080p!! Shocked)

Thanks

Hi t2ffn,

Today I tried to record it on on my SD cam and tbh it's crap as hell, I don't even want to upload it cause it will do no justice to the actualy TV at all. My Panasonic SD camera is "OK-ish" outside with enough sunlight, but indoors it's crap. Also the imense light the TV produces is overwelming for the camera lens to film it directly in front.

So I'll try and answer your questions and make footage with screenshots in XBMC (as far as that is possible to prove anything)

Black smearing - TBH I have never noticed any black smearing. Correction ... I have seen it once or twice but that was because of the bad quality of the video not cause the TV could not properly handle the black. So I would answer this as "NOT AN ISSUE"

24p judder - I don't know what 24p means, I have read about it here and there but don't know what it actually does. To answer motion judder, again I have never noticed this, even if it would be there, I have never seen it, I watch all NFL games on ESPN every sunday and monday and when the QB throws a Hail Mary from one side to the other, I see no judder when the camera moves really fast, same with high speed movies like fast and the furious where you see cars flashing by so fast, I see no problems there.

Gaming - I have an XBOX 360 connected and I must admit you will loose parts of your screen when you use the smartfit (other option is the 16:9 with black bars left and right) Unlike XBMC, there is no option in XBOX360 games to change resolution, so I acknoledge this as an ISSUE, but tbh, I play madden, guitar hero and rockband on it and you can fit the screen just right on the smartfit tbh. (keep in mind, while smartfit is active you can steer up, down, right, left with the remote control to adjust the smartfit so it see more of the top or bottom or left or right with adjustments on the oposite side ofc where you then will see less :p if that makes sence)

Picture quality - you mean actual photo's ? or stills ? or movies ?
Anyways in general 720p is ok but uses smartfit also so you'll loose some if you don't want the black bars. 1080p hands down there is no better TV in the world except the new version of the 21:9 cinema that came out !

Everyone who visits me and they watch a 1080p movie is just shocked how awesome that is, keep in mind I bought this one last year for 4000 euro's (yeah I know I should have waited one more year for the newer 3D version :p)

Sound quality - Sound quality is good enough imho. Obviously its not the same as the high end home cinema speaker sets from the big brands and also it does not do Dolby Digital and DDS but it can do virtual surround and plain old stereo and for me that is good enough, you can crank it up really load without any problems or sound quality loss, it's got 2 tweeters and 2 subwoofers and it sounds amazing for me atleast.

Set noise - Again never noticed this. Granted this TV sits in my study where it is connected to my PC which DOES make some fan and high pitch noice I never noticed the TV giving me noise like that, but again I cannot tell you for sure since my PC is like on 24/7 :p

I hope my answers will been helpfull to you

Check the specs on the tv here :
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/...ss_eng.pdf
t2ffn Wrote:Thanks for the info and insights, but there is a massive price difference between the '1st gen' and the current model, somewhere in the £3k region... Shocked

Hey t2ffn, have you eventually bought it? Trust me, behind the screen, the processing has made a huge step forward, the difference is worth the price.

By the way, i can make you some pics, if your still interested, just precise what you want.

Cheers,

Big Grin

PS: PM me if you answer, i'll post here
Hello,

I'm really interested in this TV but I'm watching all my movies using XBMC or my PS3 and as I'm french and watches all my movies in english, the subtitles are usually displayed in the black bars.

How does the TV handles that? Does it move the subtitles?

Can anyone show a picture because if this screen doesn't show the subs properly, i won't buy it actually because movies 2:35 with subtitles are 80% of what i'm watching.

Thanks
I have just upgraded my philips 47pfl9703 to the 58pfl9956t and wonder how you are setting up the htpc on this screen. do you set it up as 1920:8xx to avoid clipping\stretching or just do full hd and lets the tv do the work?
Currently addicted to Night. Watch this teaser and join the forum.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs from the ClearLOGO site and forum
Try my changes to the Night skin if u like how they looks
i tried a fix to get 2560:1080 resolution on htpc and xbmc but i failed. think i might have changed some more settings cause the picture looks kinda funny, whats ur format on the following ar? mine are like this now.
2.35:1 cinema 21:9
1.85:1 wide screen
1.78:1 wide screen
with pc mode off
Currently addicted to Night. Watch this teaser and join the forum.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs from the ClearLOGO site and forum
Try my changes to the Night skin if u like how they looks
you can read more about it here:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/s...dea3077e97

seems someone got it working doing this:

1: Set your TV to Unscaled
2: Go to TV settings, and put PC mode ON
3: Make a custom resolution on your PC; 2560x1080 Progressive at 50Hz
4: See the picture displayed on your TV. Its a 16:9 aspect ratio, with in the middle a 21:9 picture (so you have a black bar in the top and the bottom of your 16:9 screen.
5: Set you TV settings to Widescreen.
6: To play Full screen movies: In you media player (i use Media player classic home cinema) go to aspect ratio and set Auto-fill.
7: Enjoy.

I haven't tried it yet as i don't even have built my htpc yet ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140720 )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips 21:9 TV and XBMC0