ATV2/XBMC Tweaks
The purpose of this thread is to keep a repository of quick tweaks and hacks to make the ATV2 more enjoyable.

Using Linux or Mac Terminal (or for Windows use Putty) ssh into AppleTV.
Code:
ssh root@appletvip
default password = alpine

You should probably change the default password first
Code:
passwd root
To Fix Time Zone (Apple TV GUI provides no way to adjust time or time zone), this will make the time show correctly within XBMC.
Code:
rm /var/db/timezone/localtime
Create link to correct zoneinfo file for your timezone, To find appropriate zoneinfo file “ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/”
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Detroit /var/db/timezone/localtime
Substitute America/Detroit for your timezone, note file names are case sensitive.

Check Time is correct
Code:
date

Block Updates, this adds entries to the /etc/hosts file which redirects requests to apples update servers to localhost which in turn reports nothing which as a result blocks updates:

Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com >> /etc/hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com >> /etc/hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net >> /etc/hosts

Optional Extras...

Install nano to edit files via ssh
Code:
apt-get install nano

Storing Media Locally:
You can store media locally, use sftp or winscp to copy media files to /var/mobile/Media/, then simply add a source within XBMC to the same directory, you have approx 6.4gb to fill up with music and videos, Feel free to create your own directory structure, ie Videos folder for Videos.

Uninstall nitoTV, if you don't want or don't use nitoTV it can be easily removed
Code:
apt-get -y --force-yes remove com.nito.nitotv
what's the point of uninstalling NitoTV? I can't imagine that would have a significant impact on running XBMC. I don't believe there are any background processes from NitoTV that are being ran at the same time.
Ummm so it's not on the AppleTV anymore... I don't use it, or it's features and don't want it in my menu, simple.

And before you suggest it I don't want to use tools or edit files to hide or move the menu entry.

The question has been asked quite a few times... so I included it.

You know asking someone to explain themselves over an optional procedure just wastes my time and your time, I had my own valid reasons to remove it.
bircoe Wrote:Ummm so it's not on the AppleTV anymore... I don't use it, or it's features and don't want it in my menu, simple.

And before you suggest it I don't want to use tools or edit files to hide or move the menu entry.

The question has been asked quite a few times... so I included it.

You know asking someone to explain themselves over an optional procedure just wastes my time and your time, I had my own valid reasons to remove it.

Actually I was asking because I thought maybe it did have some background process and/or affected something that could have some processing impact on the ATV2 that I didn't know about. I was under the impression that the tweaks listed were to improve performance.

EDIT: It was also the only tweak you listed that wasn't explained. All the other ones had a small blurb. Sorry man, I'm not a mind reader.
Fair enough... will add a blurb.
Enable AC3 and DTS Output fix is not needed anymore, the gui switches have been enabled since
Awesome, I hadn't actually tested since reading that tweak a few weeks ago.
if you uninstall nito tv wont you lose the ability to block apple updates?
Not if you manually edit /etc/hosts.
Hi Bumpaneer

Can you may explain what to do in: "/etc/hosts" exactly to disable auto update from ATV2?

I've installed nitoTV and an add-in (just for this reason). (May this could/should be added to the Apple TV2 FAQ as well)

Thank you!
chuckkay Wrote:if you uninstall nito tv wont you lose the ability to block apple updates?

Or install this tiny tool:

apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone
did that work? I had marked to not to receive updates for apple tv. But I got it anyway yesterday!
I know the answer to doing this... This post describes how to do it.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=746...stcount=29
Here's a quick way to block updates via SSH:

Code:
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

The ATV2 in my lounge room has not bugged me about updates yet... And it won't as the "hosts" points the apple update server at localhost (127.0.0.1).

I don't like the idea of installing a package as DarkVamp suggested to do something so simple.

The more you get in and do stuff manually the more you learn!
DarkVamp Wrote:Or install this tiny tool:

apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone

That tiny tool didn't add the newline character at the end of /etc/hosts nor did it add the 2 appldnld entries from the following:
Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com >> /etc/hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com >> /etc/hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net >> /etc/hosts

Looks like it works though. My atv2 hasn't prompted for any updates and normally it would've by now. It's nice to have a single command to resolve the issue but it'd also be nice to know exactly what changes that package makes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2/XBMC Tweaks1