• 2(current)
[DSCodec]Replacement for DSPlayer
Tiben - had a bit of a play with your build earlier this evening - one or two minor observations:-

1. No VC1 playback - do you need or want debug logs at this time?
  2. Like all xbmc builds at the moment I have to delay sound by around 200ms to achieve perfectly synched playback - only I might add on 24fps material
Otherwise playback seems fine (using MPCVideoDec), if a little high on CPU usage - great start.

System specs

Win7
ATI HD5670

Issue 1 seems to work if I choose to send audio via analogue and not HDMI - sorry assume its still being worked on as part of your audio solution.
steelman1991 Wrote:Tiben - had a bit of a play with your build earlier this evening - one or two minor observations:-

1. No VC1 playback - do you need or want debug logs at this time?
  2. Like all xbmc builds at the moment I have to delay sound by around 200ms to achieve perfectly synched playback - only I might add on 24fps material
Otherwise playback seems fine (using MPCVideoDec), if a little high on CPU usage - great start.

System specs

Win7
ATI HD5670

Issue 1 seems to work if I choose to send audio via analogue and not HDMI - sorry assume its still being worked on as part of your audio solution.

Even if i don't comment about a debug log when someone post one in one my directshow thread be sure i always take a look at them. I always like to see a debug log when someone post a comment about a bug.

for the vc1 ill see if the sample i got work on my nvidia and ati video device if there a problem ill fix it. But if your talking about vc1 in wmv2 and wmv3 codec which i already written in the first thread...
right now the python plugin look like this
you see the current codec when you mouse over the fourcc and all this is based on a xml config like dsplayer instead in this one i wont be stupid enough to use the file extension for selecting the codec you chose.
tiben20: Fantastic to see that you are continuing development here. I'm still using one of the last dsplayer-builds and will be following this thread eagerlyNod

At the moment my dsplayer-build works like a charm for me so I wont switch on my main rig until I see reports saying that HD-bitstreaming and videoplayback is close to or perfect. But I will test this on some other setups just for fun until then.

Your focus on turning XBMC into a complete solution with regards to not only functionality and "bling bling", but also in terms of picture and sound-quality is wonderful and EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl hereWink
I'm gone back to c++ ill do the python part at the end. I found and fixed the high cpu usage ill post a new build when i fixed some other things i wanted to fix.
Ps: love c++ hate python. So much faster to develop with c++
with the new change in the threading process
without the last modification to the threading process
http://dsplayer.passion-xbmc.org/testbui...cc3-dx.exe
last build with the the high cpu usage fixed.
Tiben, what about Reclock? Will you support it?

Also, what about refresh rate adjust? Is you version already compatible with it?

Last question: if I install your version, would I then be able to upgrade to a normal build later? With your version is DVDplayer selectable?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:Tiben, what about Reclock? Will you support it?

Also, what about refresh rate adjust? Is you version already compatible with it?

Last question: if I install your version, would I then be able to upgrade to a normal build later? With your version is DVDplayer selectable?
Don't know about reclock i need to know if its interacting with other filters in the graph because if it does it might be problematic.
for the dvdplayer selectable i didnt do it yet i was thinking about ending the python plugin before integrating the setting in the player. I'm 100x faster for developing in c++ so no matter how the python plugin will write the xml file i will be able to modify the c++ code to that. Since i started writing it i never did a single function that was going to behave the way i thought it was going to.
Forgot to answer the last one
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to update to a normal build there nothing different in the xbmc core. Unless the team changed very recently the database version you shouldn't have any problem.
Hey tiben,

I understand there will only be one player (DVDPlayer), using dscodecs, however was curious if you'll be able to select which version of player to use? So you would have something like 'DVDPlayer' and 'DVDPlayer (dscodec)' under the 'Play Using...' option (similar to dsplayer).

I'm guessing it will either be on or off, so no 'Play Using...' option and no second player version?

Cheers
Hey tiben,

Tested the new build. Just to let you know i still get a high frame rate on a 1080p h.264 DTS-HD clip. However this time on a few occasions the frame rate was hovering around 15fps.

Also getting some blocking on screen when seeking.

Finally, the audio is still pcm (instead of ac3 and dts (dts-hd core) passthrough.

Do you want fresh logs, or will the exisiting from the other day still be ok?

Cheers bud
liquidskin76 Wrote:Hey tiben,

Tested the new build. Just to let you know i still get a high frame rate on a 1080p h.264 DTS-HD clip. However this time on a few occasions the frame rate was hovering around 15fps.

Also getting some blocking on screen when seeking.

Finally, the audio is still pcm (instead of ac3 and dts (dts-hd core) passthrough.

Do you want fresh logs, or will the exisiting from the other day still be ok?

Cheers bud
sample if you could and debug log please
About the audio the directshow audio codec is not being used is there any difference beetween the normal xbmc and this build or you didn't know it wasn't being used?
tiben20 Wrote:sample if you could and debug log please
About the audio the directshow audio codec is not being used is there any difference beetween the normal xbmc and this build or you didn't know it wasn't being used?

I can sort a sample for you, no problem. It won't be until Monday though.

Regarding logs... they are the same as i sent you in a pm. I'll grab you fresh ones and post here.

Regarding audio... yep, i know ffdshow isn't being used. The audio is different to normal dvdplayer. I should get pcm from truehd, and passthrough on ac3 and dts, and passthrough of dts core on dts-hd. Instead with dscodec, i get pcm on everything. I've got the audio settings configurely correctly.

I'll get you logs for playback bugs and all audio types tonight.

Cheers bud Wink

[EDIT:] Is anyone else seeing this behaviour on audio?
@tiben20 - your effort is very much appreciated. please keep going!

I've been familiar with XBMC since having a hacked Xbox! In fact, I hacked my Xbox to get access to XBMC and it served me well till HD really came on! Anyways, I've always dabbled with HTPCs in my network and have really struggled to iterate down to a single solution. With this latest release of XBMC coupled with your DSCodec work, I think I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now: I'm not a coder but I do have several setups here including my home theater which supports 24hz framerates and HD audio codecs. Bottom line is that I'd like to help in some way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do such as preparing/isolating test clips or just being a beta tester and submitting logs and reports.

I'm running the latest of your builds and have successfully gotten video playing with "Directshow" using FFDSHOW. My vid settings at one location (Dell Zino HD 410 w/ 5450 MXM) are:

1) "real full screen"
2) do not adjust refresh (movies are 24hz --> 60hz output to LCD)
3) video sync: Vid clock (drop/dupe)

I'm working mostly with 1080p AVC + 5.1 AC3 movies in M2TS files. These were created for PS3 consumption but I can certainly bring back the DTS-HD or TrueHD tracks and format into any container for testing.

I'm not sure if these are the best settings but I will say that I've been struggling with jutter in HD playback if I don't enable the video sync option. Any comments on this would be welcome. This jutter issue (and looking for a solution) is what got me looking about only to find DSPlayer and now DSCodec versions of XBMC.

I can post some screenshots if needed and/or post some log info. any help would be great. My XBMC seems to keep losing A/V sync if I don't have the vid sync enabled and, if I do, it seems to really struggle to stay locked. If I jump forward +30sec, things go way out of whack and the system takes several seconds to track back to a good sync. I have a clip from the movie "Office Space" in HD that never seems to lock and the vcpu is ~10% and the computer (4 cores) is ~20%.
kartman_canada Wrote:@tiben20 - your effort is very much appreciated. please keep going!

I've been familiar with XBMC since having a hacked Xbox! In fact, I hacked my Xbox to get access to XBMC and it served me well till HD really came on! Anyways, I've always dabbled with HTPCs in my network and have really struggled to iterate down to a single solution. With this latest release of XBMC coupled with your DSCodec work, I think I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now: I'm not a coder but I do have several setups here including my home theater which supports 24hz framerates and HD audio codecs. Bottom line is that I'd like to help in some way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do such as preparing/isolating test clips or just being a beta tester and submitting logs and reports.

I'm running the latest of your builds and have successfully gotten video playing with "Directshow" using FFDSHOW. My vid settings at one location (Dell Zino HD 410 w/ 5450 MXM) are:

1) "real full screen"
2) do not adjust refresh (movies are 24hz --> 60hz output to LCD)
3) video sync: Vid clock (drop/dupe)

I'm working mostly with 1080p AVC + 5.1 AC3 movies in M2TS files. These were created for PS3 consumption but I can certainly bring back the DTS-HD or TrueHD tracks and format into any container for testing.

I'm not sure if these are the best settings but I will say that I've been struggling with jutter in HD playback if I don't enable the video sync option. Any comments on this would be welcome. This jutter issue (and looking for a solution) is what got me looking about only to find DSPlayer and now DSCodec versions of XBMC.

I can post some screenshots if needed and/or post some log info. any help would be great. My XBMC seems to keep losing A/V sync if I don't have the vid sync enabled and, if I do, it seems to really struggle to stay locked. If I jump forward +30sec, things go way out of whack and the system takes several seconds to track back to a good sync. I have a clip from the movie "Office Space" in HD that never seems to lock and the vcpu is ~10% and the computer (4 cores) is ~20%.
I been working on seeking and some stuff related with a/v sync. In the previous build i was able to get the best performance from every single version regarding the handling of fast forward and seeking but for this price you had higher cpu usage which is not really common for people who don't have a core i7 with 8gb of ram like i do.
Ps: i always like to see a debug log when someone post a problem. If your having problem with actual playback like drop frames i need to know the codec not the container. If the video don't wan't to play with directshow i also wan't to know the container and the codec used. i spent a lot of time testing many mpeg-ts containers with many different codecs to be sure they were working with my directshow pipeline. And right now every m2ts i have work so if you find one that don't work a sample would be required so i can fix it in my code.

liquidskin76 Wrote:[EDIT:] Is anyone else seeing this behaviour on audio?
I'm sure it's from some left over when we were testing audio codec. I remember having done some change in the audio renderer when i was writing this part. I'll just look at the diff and revert those change when i got time
tiben20 Wrote:I'm sure it's from some left over when we were testing audio codec. I remember having done some change in the audio renderer when i was writing this part. I'll just look at the diff and revert those change when i got time

great... good man! Wink
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DSCodec]Replacement for DSPlayer5