How to start with XBMC ATV2
Guys, if you don't mind, a few questions so don't do something stupid:

- What's recommended JB tool ATM? Greenpoison with wifi fix?
- How do I restore original FW in case something goes wrong?
- Do I have to do backup it before JB? How?

Thanks.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Yeah, Greenpoison is probably your best bet for now. I'm not sure about any of the other tools but they all pretty much do the same thing. I'm still on a tethered seasonpass JB cos I've had no need to restart the ATV2.

You restore your original FW in iTunes. I think it is the only option when you connect the ATV2. No backup is necessary.
So I don't need this "TinyUmbrella" thingy? That's for phones?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I've personally never bothered but it could be useful if you have to restore original firmware in the future and apple has released a new revision that doesn't allow the JB.
Hidd3nFury Wrote:I've personally never bothered but it could be useful if you have to restore original firmware in the future and apple has released a new revision that doesn't allow the JB.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it.

Would you happen to know what should I do for TUmbrella to recognize ATV2? It doesn't get listed on left.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it.

Would you happen to know what should I do for TUmbrella to recognize ATV2? It doesn't get listed on left.

need to manually do it. http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/10/how-t...v-2g-ecid/

EDIT: you (everyone) should always get/save their shsh blobs. Once Apple rolls out a new version then they stop signing the ipsw related to that version. Without the shsh blob, there is no way to re-install that version.
No longer need to manually save SHSH Blobs - Tinyumbrella does this automatically and upload's it to Saurik's server (as well as saves a copy on your computer).

Connect your Apple TV to your computer via micro-USB and follow these instructions http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9189 . Note that this tutorial was written this past November. The current software will automatically upload your SHSH/Unit ID info to Cydia for safekeeping.
If my AppleTV is already J/B'd can the blobs be saved or do I have to restore and start again?

What about if I have two AppleTV's? Do I need to do it for each one?
Yes, you can just save the blobs, no need to restore or anything.

Yep, you have to do both, since every machine has different blobs ofcourse Smile
T800 Wrote:If my AppleTV is already J/B'd can the blobs be saved or do I have to restore and start again?

What about if I have two AppleTV's? Do I need to do it for each one?

Use Tinyumbrella to save shsh blobs, it's the only app that can do it. Each ATV2 is unique so that's why you need to save shsh blobs in the first place. Do each.
OK, here's a 10 steps recapitulation for newcomers:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

0. Attach ATV2 to your Mac with USB cable.

1. Put your Apple TV 2 into DFU mode as explained here . I'll need it for both TinyUmbrella and greenpoison JB

2. Verify that in System profiler and copy your's ECID so you can enter it in TinyUmbrella (TU)

3. Open TU (I used ver 4.21.11). If you device was detected automatically, goto next step. If not, click on Manual ECID and paste your number. Set iDevice to AppleTV if not already set. Name it as you like.

4. Select your device from the left list and click on Save SHSH in upper right corner. In my case, TU reported "This device is NOT connected", but created SHSHs in home/.shsh without a problem

5. Run greenpoison ver. 6_1 or better (WiFi fixed in 6_1) and click Yes, confirming you are wanting to JB your AppleTV

6. As you are already in DFU mode and USB is connected, just press Jailbreak button and wait for greenpoison to finish.

7. Confirm JB once done. This will close greenpoison App. WAIT at least 40 sec so ATV2 is updated properly.

8. You're done. Attach to power and TV.

9. I chose inject SW from new greenpoison menu and installed Cydia. ATV rebooted.

10. Next I opened Install SW from nitoTV menu and chosen XBMC Cool
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:OK, here's a 10 steps recapitulation for newcomers:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

0. Attach ATV2 to your Mac with USB cable.

10. Next I opened Install SW from nitoTV menu and chosen XBMC Cool
Step 11: Wifi Fix -- Either remove then reinstall nitoTV from SSH or install OpenSSH from the nitoTV menu. (More info on my blog)
joshua.lyon Wrote:Step 11: Wifi Fix -- Either remove then reinstall nitoTV from SSH or install OpenSSH from the nitoTV menu. (More info on my blog)

Yes. This is optional as it's NOT required for greenpoison 6_1 (or newer).
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Is step 2, 3 and 4 really necessary with the latest TU?
I connected my atv2 and TU recognized it and let me save the blobs without having to manually enter the ECID and such.
Fire69 Wrote:Is step 2, 3 and 4 really necessary with the latest TU?
I connected my atv2 and TU recognized it and let me save the blobs without having to manually enter the ECID and such.

Of course not, if it gets recognized. That, unfortunately, wasn't my case.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to start with XBMC ATV21