[ATV2] HOW-TO position XBMC button in first spot on ATV menu
what is the full path to this? whats before applications, and whats before that etc....

/Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances/Movies.frappliance/Info.plist
... that is the absolute path.
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
there is nothing before that. "Applications" is in the first level of folders of the file system.
just for info, this is the complete path on my ATV for the file you mentioned above:

sftp://192.168.23.80//Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances/Movies.frappliance/Info.plist
Me German. Me not speach English very ok. ;)
there's nothing before Applications, just switch to / and you'll see it
just added an info in the first post. whenever you are updating XBMC, it' rewriting the info.plist file, so you have to set the order number to the desired value again!
is there a way to hide items completely? like computers.. i dont need it at all
Can someone tell me how to edit a file on ATV2? I'm using putty to ssh. I've tried nano, pico, vi and edit but all are unrecognised. Do i have to install one of these?

It's probably my complete lack of iOS knowledge (I only started learning linux for my new PogoPlug last week) so please bear with me. I've been googling for the last two hours and have drawn a complete blank.
you can install 'nano' or 'vim' via 'apt-get'. ('apt-get install nano').
But you cannot edit .plist files with any of these.
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
Hi Coastal. I'd recommend collecting the file from the ATV2 with SFTP. I don't know what OS you're on but google for SFTP clients. In windows I use WinSCP

Then you will need a plist editor for your OS Windows Plist Editor

I feel your Linux pain!
Image Don't even think about my mother!
Thanks chaps - that's a big help. Smile
Maetrik Wrote:is there a way to hide items completely? like computers.. i dont need it at all

Yes, just go into the appliances folder and rename the folder the app you want to hide. So if you want to hide 'computers' rename to frappliance.computers.old. Rrstart lowide in nitotv and it will be gone.
EvilMonkey Wrote:hello, i know that this is not exactly an XBMC thing, but i think there might be others who want the thing i just achieved for their ATV as well. i was getting annoyed bei XBMC being the fourth button on th ATV menu. i have an ATV2 with just nitoTV installed and XBMC. so XBMC will be positioned after Movies, nitTV and Internet. since i only have the ATV2 for XBMC, i wanted to optimize where XBMC is in the menu. Overflow was not an option for me, since i still would not be having XBMC in the first spot of the ATV menu. if you want to do this, you only need to edit two files! connect to your ATV either using SSH or like me, using a ftp client through a SFTP connection (use root as user). WATCH OUT! STEP 2 HAS TO BE REDONE EVERYTIME YOU ARE UPDATEING XBMC! 1st file to edit: /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances/Movies.frappliance/Info.plist look for those lines Code: <key>FRAppliancePreferedOrderValue</key> <real>0.0</real> and change the value in between real-tag to 2.0 - save file and close. 2nd file to edit: /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/Info.plist look for those lines Code: <key>FRAppliancePreferedOrderValue</key> <integer>2</integer> and change the value in between integer-tag to 0 - save file and close. after that yuo can simply reboot your ATV2 using nitoTV and after that you should be greeted with XBMC in first place of the menu. you can of course change the values and therefore the position of all menu options to your liking. XBMC in first was just the one i was looking for. hopefully this little "hack" is useful to others. l8r.

Thanks! Do you know how i would rename the top 'xbmc' label to 'my media'? Would make it more family friendly.
I found how to change the name of other apps (e.g. I have changed 'movies' to 'rentals') but cant figure out how to do it for xbmc.

I also have installed the couchsurfer pro app, which appears as 'browser'. I'd like to move this so that it appears under 'internet' alongside youtube etc. Any ides?
coastal Wrote:Can someone tell me how to edit a file on ATV2? I'm using putty to ssh. I've tried nano, pico, vi and edit but all are unrecognised. Do i have to install one of these?

It's probably my complete lack of iOS knowledge (I only started learning linux for my new PogoPlug last week) so please bear with me. I've been googling for the last two hours and have drawn a complete blank.

yes, you have to install an editor first. i'd recommend using your ftp-client and setting up a SFTP connection with your apple tv. that way you can edit the files with your local editor. that's how i do it.
sdesign Wrote:I found how to change the name of other apps (e.g. I have changed 'movies' to 'rentals') but cant figure out how to do it for xbmc.

I also have installed the couchsurfer pro app, which appears as 'browser'. I'd like to move this so that it appears under 'internet' alongside youtube etc. Any ides?

creating sub-menus seemed to be way more work and might get overwritten as soon as you install a newer version of XBMC and all other apps, since they seem to rewrite the info.plist.

i'd recommend to keep tinkering with those files to a minimum for now. but i will look into it and let you know what i find out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] HOW-TO position XBMC button in first spot on ATV menu0