Why no XBMC skinning software?
I've been itching to make some skins for years now but I'm not a coder I only dabble in photoshop.

Twice I've attempted my own skin and could barely display a button on the screen that did nothing before I gave up.

XBMC has been out for so long and month after month its just the same set of skins I keep seeing in the forum list, I can't believe that no one in the community has attempted to make a skinning program for non-coders.
What would it do that a text editor, graphic editor and a running version of XBMC wont do?
(2012-07-04, 21:31)Hitcher Wrote: What would it do that a text editor, graphic editor and a running version of XBMC wont do?

probably he wants is a WYSIWYG editor.
And a skin by a non coder would probably not run that smooth
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
There have been a couple of attempts in the past but the main issue is so much stuff gets added or changed that it just goes out of date seriously fast and its pretty much a full time job just keeping the program up to date.
It would be a nice thing to have but is it really worth all the work to make it happen.
(2012-07-04, 21:50)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-07-04, 21:31)Hitcher Wrote: What would it do that a text editor, graphic editor and a running version of XBMC wont do?

probably he wants is a WYSIWYG editor.
And a skin by a non coder would probably not run that smooth

Wow, that could not be further from the truth! It is a WELL know fact, that coders are NOT the best designers. Just because someone can code in their sleep, does not mean that their color choices, layout, and artist skills are good. For instance is a Photoshop artist considered to be bad, just because they can not write the code necessary to make the brush tool work?

I myself, am a bit of a coder and Graphics artist combined. I am no expert in either, but I manage. I created the DFX skin, for the CarPC front end Ride Runner. Looking at my counter stats, the skin has been installed just over 23,000 times. I put a bit of "phone home" code in the installer to report when the installer has completed. This of course does not count for when the software was installed without an Internet connection on the CarPC. All this being said, to show that I do know a little bit about creating something, and sharing it.

Skinning for Ride Runner is done with a WYSIWYG editor, and makes it so much easier for someone to create new skins, and alter current ones. Simply by inserting, copying, pasting, and moving objects around in a graphical editor. Ride Runner is also always improving and changing, thus the skin editor has to keep up. In the case of the editor for Ride Runner, there is an objects.txt file that keeps track of the objects for the editor. Adding a new command that the skin editor can use, is as simple as putting the correct syntax into the object.txt file. The editor also has a "Virtual editor" that displays the raw code of the skin, for exact adjustments, tweaks and advanced coding.

So, I for one would love to see a WYSIWYG editor for XBMC. Even if it was rudimentary, just to assist with the layout and position of buttons, icons and labels.

------------------------------------------
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
There was one many years ago -

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/...vBXVxV.php

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no XBMC skinning software?0