AppleTV + mythtv, stuttering with 720p playback
So here's what I'm running... mythtv backend server with a quad-core i5 chip, 4gb ram, and a hauppauge hdpvr recording from a directv reciever at 720p with the default settings. The apple tv(gen 1) is running launcher 3.2.1, not sure where to look up the xbmc version but it's whatever the launcher would have downloaded back in NOV or so. Network connection is via ethernet cable.

The basic problem is that the playback stutters, especially during fast motion scenes. The worst one I've seen is watching top gear when they're driving a car around the test track and switching camera angles a lot. It looks like a flip-book more like a video.

I'm guessing the appleTV just doesn't have the grunt to handle what I'm asking it to play. I thought that this device could handle 720p though, so do I maybe need to change something on the mythtv backend like lower the bitrate or increase it or something?

Looking for suggestions/advice/etc. It really looks like the appleTV can almost handle what I want it to do so maybe a tweak or two can fix it?

Halp!
"hauppauge hdpvr recording from a directv reciever at 720p"

That would be h264 encoded and the stock atv1 does not have enough ponies to decode it. With a CrystalHD inside, it would.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of.

Crystal HD? A quick search tells me there's a hardware decoder you can replace the wlan card with and get better playback? From a software perspective is this pretty much plug&play or is there a lot of work that needs done?
Kuhmann Wrote:Yeah that's what I was afraid of.

Crystal HD? A quick search tells me there's a hardware decoder you can replace the wlan card with and get better playback? From a software perspective is this pretty much plug&play or is there a lot of work that needs done?

I find it trivial to do, but then again, I did the port Smile

There are several threads about how to do this. You have two choices, atv(osx) or atv(linux).
Guess I could give a linux install another crack. Last time I tried I couldn't seem to get video to output in a format my TV could understand(older hd set that only can handle 1080i, 480p, and 480i).

Got a new set, maybe it will work....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV + mythtv, stuttering with 720p playback0