[AppleTV2] Wrong colors
Tusin Wrote:Do .mp4's run though Videotoolbox?

They may not have done with original XBMC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92371&page=3

Looks like it was fixed recently. Should be okay in 10.0-6 and later.

Can you run the mp4 files through native ATV2 interface?
Do they look better when XBMC is not involved. That's the key question.
Tusin Wrote:Do .mp4's run though Videotoolbox?

mp4 is a container, just like mkv. what's inside that container could be anything the container supports.

mpeg4, part2 uses ffmpeg for decode and yuv2rgb.neon.S to color convert from yv12 to argb.

mpeg4, part 10 (h264) used VideoToolBox and VideoToolBox directly outputs argb.

what's in your .mp4 file ? (hint google mediainfo)
Below is what MediaInfo kicked out on my calibration video/s. It looks like it is h.264

So if I am understanding this correct. "SD" content (say Xvid), looks like it gets displayed using rec. 601.

But anything that passes through "Videotoolbox" gets encoded with Rec. 709. But these are just color spaces.

Is XBMC in control of the luminance range that is displayed? I read on the PC side it is setup to output 0-255 (PC Levels). But also on the PC you generally have options to change the range through the graphics card option.

I am going to connect my ATV1 to test if selecting a different output range (like what I want, which would be YPbPr, or possible RGB High), changes the output in XBMC.

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 15mn 0s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 683 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 16.5 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.5 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Writing library : x264 core 67 r1145M d2e1e1c
Tusin Wrote:Below is what MediaInfo kicked out on my calibration video/s. It looks like it is h.264

So if I am understanding this correct. "SD" content (say Xvid), looks like it gets displayed using rec. 601.

But anything that passes through "Videotoolbox" gets encoded with Rec. 709. But these are just color spaces.

If gets a little more complicated with VideoToolBox, since it does have ffmpeg demuxer 'extradata' and knows how to parse SPS/PPS. If those contain color space info, then VideoToolBox might setup the color space conversion to be either 601 or 709 depending on how the video was encoded.
I see this is still an unsoved problem on the latest builds, will this color space be handled correctly sometime?
Same issue here.. most of the divx the colors are way off and Simpsons seems to be the worst on the yellows and whites.
Color output is fine on the old xbox. Confused
same here since first version on atv2 Sad
crowba Wrote:same here since first version on atv2 Sad

same here too the colors on xvid content are weird

For me this ist one of the two reasons I didn't sold my HTPC yet.
The other one is that the ATV2 can't change refresh rate and therefore most of the movies aren't played smooth. But I realize that this doesn't depends on XBMC only. (Hopefully apple will release a new fw with that feature soon).

But this port is only half year old and I remember that the linux port wasn't near perfect either at this age.
I still belive it was a very good 99$ investment I just love to have XBMC on this tiny thing Big Grin
Can this problem be fixed. It is a problem for me, because all my TV shows are xvid and movies are h262 in a mkv container. So i can not really solve the bug by playing with the color options of my tv. One of the video formats will look strange.
Seems this problem is not fixable atm ?! Dunno why but its ugly with alot of movies, series.
Any update on this issue?

I've recently been archiving some SD recordings from my Humax PVR and playing them back on my ATV2 running XBMC. My favourite program is Fireman Sam and notice all the yellows have a green tinge.

These same video files play fine on my other HTPC running XBMC live. They also play fine via DNLA on my Viera Panny telly.
I'm having the same issue with SD files. During most playback, it's subtle, but it is very noticeable when yellows appear on the screen. Hoping for a fix at some point, or a workaround. Thanks, Devs!
I will run some color patterns through my ATV2 and then through a known good source, will taking readings with my colorimeter and will provide results. That will at least tell us how far off the colors are off (if at all).
Tusin Wrote:I will run some color patterns through my ATV2 and then through a known good source, will taking readings with my colorimeter and will provide results. That will at least tell us how far off the colors are off (if at all).

Well thats what i call a great idea!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi, any progress on the color problems with xvid files? It is still an issue in Eden Beta. Watching a xvid encoded Simpson episode clearly shows that the characters has a more green color than they should. Would a debug log or a screen captures help identify the problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Wrong colors0