[MediaPortal] Developers - How are schedules going to work?
The Power Scheduler plugin that comes packed with Mediaportals server works to "wake up" the PC but the option to put the computer to sleep AFTER recording is somewhat... nonexistent and only works if Mediaportal is in idle for a certain amount of time...

Then i thought, this could potentially be a major hurdle to integrate for ALL back-ends... not just MediaPortal.

My Question to the developers:

What are your plans to tackle this issue "globally" for all back-ends etc...?

Will XBMC have it's own power options built in and simply use it's own timers/alarms to wake the computer and put to sleep after recordings etc, and just let the backend handle the schedules for when to start and stop recording??

This would seem like the logical way...
Otherwise you'll have one hell of a lot of confused/frustrated users and will have to come up with countless workarounds for different back-ends...

then the question is raised, if XBMC has it's own Power-scheduler built in, and you set it to say:
Wake 5 mins before program starts
but also set the backend to start recording 5 mins before the program starts...
in the time it takes for the computer to start and the tvservice to kick in... will the backend have missed its "5 minute" window and simply not start??

RATHER, to solve that issue... you would have to have XBMC wake the computer say 5mins before the RECORDING is scheduled to start, giving the computer that 5min timeframe to resume and start the tv service in time for the recording to begin...

How it would work:
Lets say we set the backend to start a half hour recording from 7:00PM - 7:30PM at the following intervals:
2mins Before program starts
5mins After Program finishes

XBMC TV Power Settings Would then Be Set:
Wake computer 5mins before Scheduled Recordings:
In this case the computer would wake up at - 6:53PM, then the backend would begin to record at it's 2min interval at 6:58PM

Put computer to sleep 1min after Scheduled Recordings:
In this case the computer would stop recording at 7:35PM and XBMC's Power Settings would send the computer to sleep at - 7:36PM

Would this be the best way?

I'm sorry if this is all confusing, i just had to ask.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear the developers thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Loggio.
if a moderator could please change the tittle of this thread from [MediaPortal] to [ALL]

Thanks in advance.

Loggio.
I've submitted request in trac also.
Anyone??
hmm didn't read this one before, sorry Smile

so basically, you're talking about sending a wake on lan signal to the backend at a given time before a recording starts? sounds like a nice feature.

there are some higher prio things to do first, but you can keep that one around on trac as feature request and someone will likely pick it up later.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Until a solution is developed for this i´m using the GMPS for windows http://gmps.sourceforge.net/ It can do all of the above with mediaportal and 4therecord, wake/sleep, recording, and epg handling.
@Dushmanic

Not really talking about 'wake on lan' so to speak, more of an intelligent way for the front end to work with all back-ends flawlessly.

1: you set the backend to begin recording 5 mins before a program starts and leave it.
2: you set "xbmc's power settings" to wake the computer 2 mins before the ^above^ scheduled time (in order to avoid conflicts and errors) allowing the computer to be fully resumed before the backend starts it's scheduled recording.

essentially you would do the same for putting the computer to sleep.

The reason i say this is because, not all backends have the best POWER options... and there will be countless issues with "wake up to record, then go back to sleep after record" options not working as they should with different backends.

BUT, almost all backends have the option to start recording a certain time before and after the scheduled program, so you don't miss anything.

So XBMC needs it's own "universal" wake and sleep timers, to avoid these issues. And just leave the start and finish times to the backends plugin.

hope this makes more sense.
Hi !

Great to see others caring about the same Smile

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11234
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96218
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92325

is all the same. (Seen this request for Myth, Mediaportal and VDR backend)

PVR is all about recording. So it needs:
- to set wakeup for next timer
- to block shutdown/suspend of xbmc if backend is busy recording
- to get the next timer from backend

The point of this thread is, that this is common requirement for all backends, and maybe should be handled within xbmc (i would add if backend is running on the same machine as xbmc). I second this. XBMC is interfacing with upower etc and is not possible to intercept that from backend, so to have a serious integration, "something" is needed here Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MediaPortal] Developers - How are schedules going to work?0