Guru needed
Sad 
Finally got round to building a new system but have hit a problem, first problem I installed an IDE drive for testing purposes but it hung on Detecting IDE Devices which I thought was due to a bad drive as it hadn't been used for a while and I new it was set correctly

Today I installed a sata DVD/bluray combo drive but it wasn't detected nor could I open the the drive tray when in bios so I whipped it out and tried it on another machine and also the IDE drive above and both worked

So now I'm starting to think this is a power issue as I also have a sata SSD installed and this is detected fine and I know they use less power than the above

I have the following spec which I thought would be fine on a 450 PSU ?

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400
Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
RAM http://www.corsair.com/twin2x4096-6400c5c.html
SSD http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-...5-ssd.html
Corsair Professional Series HX450 Modular Power Supply

If 450 is enough I'm thinking it might be a problem with the PSU as it makes no sense that a SATA SSD works but SATA DVD/Bluray combo doesn't even on the same SATA connection that and the fact I cant even open the tray anyone else experienced this kind of behavior on a PSU

Any thoughts because I'm stumped Confused
I don't see dedicated gpu so i guess its IGP. If so even as low as 200w should be fine. w.e its not caused by too weak PSU.
If you are not running a huge graphics card then it's not the power supply.

It sounds to me that you are having device conflicts in relation to the OS on that computer. If you have other optical drives or non OS hard drives installed, take them out and try installing your BluRay optical drive and IDE hard drive first and see what happens.

Also make sure that your settings are correct in the bios and/or perhaps update your bios if it is on a older computer.

TC Nod
Its a new build and I've tried with just the DVD/Bluray on its own and nothing else same with HDD which I'm not bothered about as it was only for testing

The only reason I considered it might be a faulty PSU is because I cant even open the drive tray, the SSD works fine on the same SATA port and power that the Bluray was on when I tried it on its own

Only thing I've just notice is the Ram is running with a voltage of 1.952 when its rated at 1.8 that and the Phase LED is at full but AFAIK that's normal at post ?
>>X<<' Wrote:Its a new build and I've tried with just the DVD/Bluray on its own and nothing else same with HDD which I'm not bothered about as it was only for testing

The only reason I considered it might be a faulty PSU is because I cant even open the drive tray, the SSD works fine on the same SATA port and power that the Bluray was on when I tried it on its own

Only thing I've just notice is the Ram is running with a voltage of 1.952 when its rated at 1.8 that and the Phase LED is at full but AFAIK that's normal at post ?

Maybe there is a problem with the 12V power supply line (either on the connector or actually in the PSU) since the sata SSD won't use it (SSD will only use the 5V line), while the DVD will most likely use the 12V line and also the IDE drive.
It would be nice if it was the PSU as its the only thing that has a long warranty as I bought everything a year ago but due to unforeseen circumstances I've only just had the chance to do the build so RMA on anything has gone plus it wasn't exactly a cheap build Confused

It doesn't really fit into anything I've encountered on other builds, SSD works in every SATA port but optical drive doesn't and neither do any IDE devices, I tried another optical drive that's an IDE and that didn't work either :mad:

Maybe its something else that's beyond my understanding Rolleyes
Have you tried resetting the "Boot delay time" or "IDE delay time" to a longer one or give a warm boot?
Thanks for the suggestion but the only thing in the manual that refers to delay is for powering down the system, really I'm more concerned with the optical drive as no drive no OS or at least without more hassle

I've just been looking on the GIGABYTE forum and apparently their mobos have a 3 year warranty from the date of manufacture so if it is the board maybe all is not lost does anybody know if this still stands ?
Best idea would be to sign into there forum and ask some good solid questions. First about your problem and second about the warranty.
As suggested earlier, check for an update to your Bios. Also check Bios settings, IDE, AHCI, etc. Read the manual about populating both stata and IDE devices and what settings should be selected in the Bios. Check for Bios update and read manual is the last resort. Sould be the first, but we make exceptions. Smile
speed32219 Wrote:As suggested earlier, check for an update to your Bios. Also check Bios settings, IDE, AHCI, etc. Read the manual about populating both stata and IDE devices and what settings should be selected in the Bios. Check for Bios update and read manual is the last resort. Sould be the first, but we make exceptions. Smile

I always read the manual first some don't but I do and I must have tried every possible setting for IDE and SATA there's only a couple in any case AFAIK it should be auto detected in IDE mode and AHCI which it did in my other system but I've tried both in this instance

I'm becoming more convinced its a power problem as I just tried the optical drive in my other system with only the power connected and I could open and close the drive tray as soon as I powered on and while in bios this has been the behaviour of every drive I have owned, I don't believe that opening and closing the drive tray is dependant on anything other than power from the PSU ?

I'm going to take the board out the case today and power it up just to rule out a short somewhere although its not doing anything I would normally associate with a short
It sounds like it's almost certainly the power supply to me. DO you have a spare PSU or can you swap the PSU out of some other PC for testing?
Yeah I've got a couple from ages ago but I wouldn't trust them they were very cheap for cheap builds the ones I have being used have to much stuff connected

I'll do an out of case test tomorrow if I get a chance didn't have time today if I get the same result I will contact corsair get their opinion but I'm pretty sure I should be able to open the drive tray at post and in bios with only power connected
look in BIOS for power meter readings on the +12V rails or check the yellow & black wires in a molex connector using a multimeter. Sounds like it's the power supply from what you are describing. Also may want to plug the modular connections into other ports since this may use a different (and hopefully non-defective) voltage rail.
Just an update ripped the PSU out of my other system and everything worked as it should strange as the +12V was reading fine in bios, at least its got a 7 year warranty although I don't think they make a HX450 Modular now Oo

Amount of time I wasted trying different ports and changing SATA modes didn't really want to build three times either Rolleyes

Anyway thanks for the suggestions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Guru needed0