Stream media stored on iPad to XBMC ATV2
Hey there,

Ive looked all over the net for an answer but no one seems to have one.

I have a brand new ATV2 with XBMC loaded and working.

I also have XMBC loaded on my iPad... I also have media stored directly onto the iPad root file system (/root//user/Documents folder).

Is there ANY way I can stream that media stored on my iPad to my ATV2 XBMC via wifi?
Basically the same way you would share iTunes videos over Airplay.

I would like to be able to carry my ATV2 and iPad (with media) to a friends place and plug it into his TV and watch the movies.

I have explored UPnP but cant get my head around it.

I have also tried using iFile to start a webserver but XBMC on the ATV2 doesnt like it.

Are there any other methods you guys are using or discovered?

Cheers
Update: I have SSH'd into the ATV2 and transfering a test .mkv 720p video to test. Over wifi the connection is only going 1.4mb/sec.

Is there any way I can use the USB connection to transfer directly on to the ATV2?
Update 2: Ive figured out a long a way around it.

Install Goodreader and start a wifi server to transfer files into the app.

In XBMC on the ATV2, go to Add Network Location, add Web Directroy Service (HTTP), enter the bonjour address that goodreader gives you.

To watch things tho I have to either transfer them thru iFunbox on to the iPad into the Goodreader Documents folder (found in the Home/applications/ directory)... or if they are already on the ipad then just use ifile to move them into the goodreader docs folder.

Then on the ATV2, click the new video source and BANG.. the videos are there and play sweet as!

I hope XMBC devs add a better way of streaming soon tho Big Grin
Maybe share that directory with samba or nfs on the ipad and add that source to the sources list on the atv2.
Check out this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94140

You can even use this to share videos on an SD card this way.
Yikes, talk about complicated! Thing is, you've got an iPad and an ATV2 and Apple already created AirPlay to let you sling streaming video about between the two with a minimum of fuss. At this point I'd be seriously questioning how badly I need everything to be in whatever format you're running and just convert those files to mp4 with Handbrake.
Actually, using xDrive took about 5 minutes to set up. Since I have nearly 1000 movies and over 100 TV series, converting all that into mp4 would take slightly longer. (not to mention the other drawbacks) =)
Yeh, I want to avoid converting stuff at all costs! Isnt that the point of having XBMC??

Last night we watched 3 movies and several 720p tv shows on the ATV2 via the iPad using the method above. It actually works REALLY REALLY well! Not one bit of buffering! And the iPad charged faster than the ATV2 could use its power! Which was a concern of mine.

This morning I was having a look thru the XBMC application addons and came across "MuiltiRoomAudio"... which seems like it could strea audio & video directly from XBMC but the plugin wouldnt load Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream media stored on iPad to XBMC ATV20