[AppleTV2] SMB Help
Hey everyone... new member to the forum, although I do fondly remember my life being changed for the better years ago when I installed XBMC on the original XBox..Smile

Typical story... realized what Atv2 was capable of with Xbmc.... began ripping my DVD collection... finally last week I went out and purchased the Atv2.

I immediately jailbroke it with greenpoison running on Windows 7. Followed the instructions and installed XBMC (not entirely sure what version it is, but... did this last Wednesday).

Ever since then, I have truly been struggling to get to my files via SMB. I have been reading help threads in this forum everyday since about last Wednesday night before deciding to post. I see SMB help threads pop up frequently, and honestly... following what I have read so far has not changed anything.

So here is what I have done so far....
- Browse for new share, Windows network (SMB)
- it detects "WORKGROUP"... I click on it
- it detects my computer "DJANGO".... I click on it
- It prompts me with "Lock preferences for smb://DJANGO/", followed by a Username and Password to enter. It automatically has the username filled in (my profile's name, David).

Absolutely no password I enter works here and I cannot continue

So after reading threads here (this Windows 7 laptop is a recent gift, never used this OS before)........

I essentially went through all the settings and made every folder I wish to share... shareable. I even went a little further and made sure the entire drive itself was shared.

Still, I cannot manage to get through this password. Honestly, with Win7 being fairly new to me, I'm not entirely sure WHAT password it's asking for, as I made certain to select any and all instances of "Share with Everyone" style prompts.

Thanks for the time!!
you might try searching for workgroup in the search program and files on the start menu, hit enter you will come to system properties click on change network id then click home computer and you will be prompted for a restart, follow that prompt. You may also want to make sure you have Everyone listed in the group or user name field of your shared folder. Also check to see if you have anything related to windows live installed sometimes those programs muck things up pretty well.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Did you try with "add network location" instead?

protocol SMB
type DJANGO as server name
enter name and password
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:Did you try with "add network location" instead?

protocol SMB
type DJANGO as server name
enter name and password

Thanks for the response...

I did actually try that a few days ago without success, just forgot to mention it

However, I just tried again with your suggestion.

After entering all that, XBMC clearly took a moment or two to process, but then reverted me back to the "Lock preferences for smb://Django/" screen again, still asking for Username (autofilled as David) and password.

As kind of an aside to this, I must say that when stuck here, I've really tried every password I use. Heck, in frustration I tried out every password I have commonly used for the past 10 years, so.... I have no idea what password this is asking for, or for the matter if that is the problem to begin with.
have you tried the 'Everyone' user? .. it only worked for me when I did the following below in Win7:

a) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate file permissions (right click Properties->Security tab->'Edit' button.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions)

b) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate share permissions (right click Properties->Sharing tab->'Advanced Sharing'->'Permissions'->'Add'.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

Well I had to do these steps for my setup. Hope this works for anyone out there.
toshiba1 Wrote:have you tried the 'Everyone' user? .. it only worked for me when I did the following below in Win7:

a) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate file permissions (right click Properties->Security tab->'Edit' button.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions)

b) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate share permissions (right click Properties->Sharing tab->'Advanced Sharing'->'Permissions'->'Add'.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

Well I had to do these steps for my setup. Hope this works for anyone out there.

and... slow clap for you! Big Grin

Your suggestion seems to have fixed the problem, but then also in combination with the suggestion above!

What's wild is that I definitely feel like I have seen you post that, and thought that I had followed those steps.... but I was probably just in the middle of trying different things and got confused.

thanks to you both!
glad its working for you
glad everything is working for you
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
I am having the exact same issues and have been working on this for 2 weeks as well. again, reading and trying every solution i've come across. in the above solutions, the one thing I have not done was to uninstall Live messenger. I did exit it, but not uninstall it.

Can anyone think of a thread or link, or video I should look at, or offer any suggestions. I guess I could uninstall Live M. Please please help. I love my atv gen 1, and would love to access my videos'... thanks
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95821

see if this helps, rickdude
oh, you're running an atv1... you're in the wrong forums
Thanks Oni
i set up a xbox user, tweaked the permissions, used that to login and it was "working" for maybe 6 seconds, then got "error timed out" so I think i am getting closer. i have a named workgroup. should the smb set to the named work group, or workgroup or homegroup.
OniFactor Wrote:oh, you're running an atv1... you're in the wrong forums

hmmm, could i trouble you for the right forum?
I ahve an atv2 as well, but since i recently updated the apple firmware, GP won't let me get into it.

really bumbed about my two atv gen 1's. sell em or find the right settings. i think i am so close.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] SMB Help0