Eventghost MCE Remote (360)
Hey everyone. I went ahead and moved to Windows 7 from linux for my htpc not to long ago so I could play around with kxdriver and its fine features........

Anyway, I have set everything up with Eventghost and I must say I'm pretty happy with it and I can see how it will make things easy when I eventually pickup a Harmony remote.

Anyway, My concern is this. There are some things that just don't work the same.... For instance, when I press INFO during a show to get the info, i have to hit back to exit it, why can't I just hit info again?

Things like this just sort've erk me.

I use the 360 remote, but I know that I can just make the minor changes to it that I need to make in order to make it work.

I'm also aware that I could just make a registry hack that will make my 360 remote work like a regular MCE remote, but I wouldn't get the option of tweaking things.

So, I'm basicly asking if anyone has a nice default MCE remote config for XBMC that makes the MCE remote pretty much respond as if it were being ran without EventGhost.

This way I can make my tweaks and such from there.

Sorry to ramble on, burning the midnight oil.
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows

Typically you use EliteGamer360's scripts or the MCERemote add-on to make the remote send the standard Windows Media Center keyboard shortcuts, then modify your userdata\keyboard.xml to personalise the button actions.

JR
Looks pretty good. So I can still use EventGhost to launch things? Just remove the MCE remote plugin and fuss with this?

Curious. Say down the road I plan to pick up a Harmony remote. How easy will this be to convert to that?
One other thing. Does this let the Volume keys work with the software mixer?
The Harmonys have a "Microsoft emulation mode" that makes them appear to the receiver to be a Microsoft handset. So if you get everything working with you 360 remote the Harmony will work in exactly the same way. However you'll have to back out the registry change to the CodeSetNum0 etc values.

By default MCERemote sets the volume buttons to send F10, F9 and F8, which are the standard MCE voulme shorcut keys. I'm not sure what you mean by the "software mixer" but you can try pressing F10, F9 and F8 on the keyboard to see if they work.

JR
Actually, everything Just Worked.

I meant the software volume control within XBMC. This way I could just set my amp to a mid level and use the computer to drive the volume.
phin586 Wrote:This way I could just set my amp to a mid level and use the computer to drive the volume.

The audiophile in me is uneasy about controlling the volume in XBMC as you're reducing the dynamic range. The sound is only 16 bit to start with, and because sound perception is approximately logarithmic if you halve the volume you're seriously reducing the number of bits used for the sound.

I have my HTPC plugged into a HiFi amp, and I always keep the XBMC volume at max and control the volume on my amp, though admittedly this means reaching for a second remote control (though not if you have a Harmony!). Having said that, whether I could really tell the difference on my Motorhead CDs is debatable :-)

JR
The issue with my amp is that i built it myself. I suppose i could look into perhaps putting together some sort of IR volume control, as I have had the desire to implement IR power control.

=)
phin586 Wrote:The issue with my amp is that i built it myself.

When I was 18 (many years ago now :-) I would have done the same, but these days I consider life too short (on the grounds there's not that much of it left :-).

Anyhow, if you're happy with the sound just ignore my ramblings and enjoy your music!

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eventghost MCE Remote (360)0