VDR (LinVDR) PVR Addon back-end client (StreamDev or VNSI based) built-into XBMC?
Lightbulb 
hi all,
i would like to know if there are more people who would like to see a possibility to stream live-tv to the xbox using a vdr server with a dvb card installed.

the streamdev plugin for vdr supports the so called vdr-to-vdr streaming which makes it possible to watch live-tv over the network using another vdr(client).
fortunately, the developer describes the protocol used in detail to help building other clients.

http://www.magoa.net/linux/index.php?vie...v-unstable

it is a simple ftp-style protocol with one control and one data connection. the client tells the vdr-server which channel it would like to receive. the vdr-server connects to the previously passed ip and port to stream either ts, pes or ps.

what do you think?

best regards,
boxler
i am really interested in this! i'm planning to build vdr server with 1 or 2 dvb-c cards. it would be very nice to make xbox act as client.
with this plugin you need to have vdr client. so we need to code vdr core to xbmc?
i saw somewhere that mplayer can play vdr streams (dvb://), but can it control vdr server (change chanels, pause, etc.)? that would be the easiest way as xbmc has mplayer core.
do you have vdr server? maybe you could test this quickly with xbox linux install and use original mplayer in there.
dvb-radio uses shoutcast, okay its supported. we only need to change channels.
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
hi,
it is not necessary to port vdr to xbmc.
xbmc should be simply acting as a client to receive the vdr stream.

mplayer should be able to play vdr (pes) streams.

the vdr server can be controlled very easily using the streamdev-plugin and its implemented protocol:

Quote:version: 0.0.2

description:
------------

i call this protocol "vtp", the video transfer protocol. i hope that's not
already claimed by someone;).

this protocol was created for video transfers over a network. it is a text-
based protocol like the ftp, and is used by a client to communicate with a
server providing different types of video data, such as live streams,
recordings or disc media. the basic communication consists of short text
commands sent by the client, answered by numerical codes accompanied by
human-readable messages. all messages should be finished by a full cr/lf
line-ending, which should preferably written as "\015\012", as this is fully
platform-independent. nevertheless, a client or (especially) a server should
also act on "\n" line-endings. the mpeg data is being transmitted over a
separate data connection.

response code summary

code meaning
220 last command ok / connection ready
221 service is closing the connection afterwards
500 the command was not recognized
501 the parameters couldn't be interpreted correctly
550 action not taken, for various reason
551 action not taken, a subsequent connection was unsuccessful
560 this type of media couldn't be served
561 capability not known [new in 0.0.2]

command reference

command: connect to vtp server
responses: 220 - the server is ready
description: upon connection to the server (which usually listens at port
2004), the first thing the client has to expect is a welcome message with
the "220" response code. the client may now send a caps command, to tell
the server it's capabilities.

command: caps <capability>
responses: 220 - this capability is known and will be used from now on.
561 - this capability is unknown, try anotherone
description: this command tells the server to serve media data in a specific
format, like "pes" (for mpeg2-pes) or "ts" (for mpeg2-ts). a client can
do several caps commands until the server accepts one. so a client should
try all formats it can handle, descending from the most preffered one. if
no such command is sent, streaming is defaulted to pes.
[new in 0.0.2]

command: prov <priority> <media>
responses: 220 - media available for receive
501 - the parameters were incorrect
550 - the media couldn't be identified
560 - this server can currently not serve that media
description: with this command, the server is asked if the given media can
be received. the priority is a number between 0 and 100 (in case a media
can not be received by an unlimited number of clients, the server shall
grant higher priorities before lower ones, and it shall also quit streams
with lower permissions if a higher one is requested), or -1 to ask the
server if this media is available at all.
the media is a string defining the wanted media type. this is currently for
free use, it could for example carry a vdr unique channel id, to specify
a tv channel.

command: port <address and port>
responses: 220 - the port command was recognized ok
501 - the argument didn't have six numeric fields
description: the port command tells the server the target of a following
media transmission. the argument has six comma-separated fields, of which
the first four represent the target ip address, in the byte-order as the
dot-notation would be printed. the last two fields represent the target
port, with the high-byte first. to calculate the actual values, you could
use the following:
field(5) = (realport & 0xff00) shr 8
field(6) = realport & 0xff
reversed:
realport = (field(5) shl 8) + field(6)

command: tune <priority> <media>
responses: 220 - data connection was opened successfully
501 - the parameters were incorrect
550 - the media couldn't be identified
551 - the data connection couldn't be established
560 - the media is unavailable
description: this command tells the media server to open a connection to a
remote target specified by the port command before. please look at the prov
command for the meaning of the parameters. the server then opens a data
connection to that target, and begins to send mpeg data. after the
data connection is established, the response code "220" is sent.

command: abrt
responses: 220 - all data connections closed
description: this one should be sent before requesting another media or when
a media isn't needed anymore. it terminates all data connections to this
client.

command: quit
responses: 221 - connection is being closed afterwards
description: this commands terminates the client connection.

so, i would like to have a new menu item in the main menu "live-tv". once you have selected this one, you should be able to switch between the different channels.

vdr itself (not the plugin) offers a service protocol(svdrp), which is also text-based. here you can set recording timers, etc.
Star 
i would love to see this feature in xbmc, in fact i've been waiting on it since i heard it was possible in xbmp.

i want to know if i need a vdr card in my computer, to watch live-tv vdr on it. if so where can i get a list of servers to test it out.

i have a leadtek winfast delux 2k, which i dont think is vdr capable. does any know?
reading must be magical or something, it's how i find all da anwsers!
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
i recently obtained a dvb-t card, now installed in my server. the software that comes with the card (digitv) supports network streaming (unicast & multicast) under windows xp. it too uses a control port (2820)& a data port (2821). i have succesfully played captured streams on xbmc (& xbmp), so i will be trying to get the xbmc to play the live stream. perhaps any development in this area could be made configurable, since there are several dvb options, never mind the various card manufacturers & software variables. i would definately like to be able to control my dvb card from the xbmc.

steve
this seems interesting, for those with vdr setups. but let's get streaming from internet working first (or is it already?)
here is what i posted and it was deleted... why ?
------------------------------------------------
dvb - xns - xbox
------------------------------------------------
here is a small tutorial of how to watch satellite channels from a dvb card on your xbox.

first of all you need a dvb card propertly installed in your computer as well as it works with my theater software
i'll use this site for the things you need: http://multidec.host.sk/en/download_dvbcore.html
of course these files can be found all over the net.

i use this version mytheatre ver. 2.76 but it works with any other.

1.download my theater and make it work so you can see the channels on your pc.
2.download this plugin http://dvbsoft.rvsnet.cz/files/avbroadcaster008a.zip
3.put the .dll file in the plugins subdir of my theater and restart it
4.press ctrl+alt+b and enable xns server
5.configure you xbox to the ip of your pc and port 1400
- for me it worked best with last xbmc cvs build from 12.2.2004
- for streaming other files from pc's hdd use smb !
6.go in your xns in videos in xbmc and you should be able to see one .mpg file with size of 0.1k
7.run it and watch

i want to say my big thanks to the guy that made this plugin for my theater, i was looking long time for something like this and only found tsreader witch is not free and cannot decode channels using yankse plugin...

feature needs in this plugin:
1.to be able to control the channels from the xbox.
2.to be able to stream the whole transponder, so you can watch all the channels on it.
3.may be to become a standalone program using only dvbcore, just for sreaming, not to watch on pc.

if these features come true, the xbox will become partly a dreambox satellite reciever witch will make it even more useful then ever.
-----------------------------------------------------
(cyber4o @ feb. 19 2004,19:53 Wrote:here is what i posted and it was deleted... why ?
not deleted, moved. i moved it to a other forum, link
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ok 10x, there was a period that i couldn't find it with the search option, i guess it was not indexated yet, that's why i thought that it was deleted...

i got some questions, can it be made some sort of remote controll for dvb over xns ? with python for example... ?
(cyber4o @ feb. 20 2004,11:41 Wrote:i got some questions, can it be made some sort of remote controll for dvb over xns ? with python for example... ?
don't think so, not without extending the xns protocol code, as it only has a so many & specific commands it can send with current code
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
in that case we should change the protocol, this plugin also works on rtp and udp, but we need some changes in the plugin as well and i got problems finding and talking with the one that builds it, because he don't have any web representation of his projects...
in the readme he says that the sources should be inside the package but i don't see any!?!
hi,

i was wondering if there are any python scripts available to act as a streamdev client for vdr (cadsoft.de/vdr).

xbmc is great and i do like it a lot but the one thing i'm missing is being a vdr client. (vdr is a dvb app and using the streamdev plugin of vdr one can stream dvb content, get epg, make timers etc).
it is already possible to stream vdr channels. just let the vdr go to "suspend mode" ("pause live tv" in the main menu) and open a .m3u-file (save them from vdr-admin or create them yourself). these files have just the following content: "[url]http://ip_of_your_vdr:3000/x"[/url] where x is the number of the channel. i have created one for every channel i want to stream and named them as the channel, too. so i just play them out of "my movies" and watch tv.
(acid70 @ sep. 24 2004,21:01 Wrote:it is already possible to stream vdr channels. just let the vdr go to "suspend mode" ("pause live tv" in the main menu) and open a .m3u-file (save them from vdr-admin or create them yourself). these files have just the following content: "[url]http://ip_of_your_vdr:3000/x"[/url] where x is the number of the channel. i have created one for every channel i want to stream and named them as the channel, too. so i just play them out of "my movies" and watch tv.

yes, i know that. sorry, i did not make myself clear. i do not just want to stream live tv but act as a "full" streamdev client. so i can watch the recordings, have access to epg and also program timers.
ok, misunderstodd you and you´re right,a full client would be fine. and shouldnt´t be so much work (its allreadey done for dreambox and dbox2) if one knows how to do that Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDR (LinVDR) PVR Addon back-end client (StreamDev or VNSI based) built-into XBMC?1