Using XBMC to access media server through the internet
Okay where has this discussion gone in the last three months? the AIR VIDEO suggestion, where you use that app to "airplay" your videos to your Apple TV 2 will not work, if you have a Verizon Iphone (runs version 4.2.8 and not 4.3 as required). But might work for IPAD users running 4.3

I also saw someone mention a VPN connection with Hichachi application on both server and client, but that is a dead end as Apple TV 2 has no VPN client. At least not yet.

Is there now a VPN client for XBMC on Apple TV 2?

Or should we all just buy IPADs (or ITOUCH) and use AIR VIDEO and 4.3 to "airplay" to the Apple TV 2? if that will work.
I am also looking for something like the Plex Media Server but for XBMC. I use PC and not Mac and Plex also does not support playing out of rar-archives (which is a must for me).

Today I simply use Expandrive (FTP drive previously) to map my fileserver over SSH. I connect it as a drive in Win 7 automatically on boot and XBMC treats it as a local drive.

I am able to play 720p mkv over the internet flawlessly but 1080p sometimes stops to buffer.

I have a 200Mbit down and 10Mbit up where the client is and the file server is 100Mbit both ways. These are very common speeds where I live and not something for the future as hinted above.

I would like to be able to set the buffer size of XBMC, this way 1080p would also be playing flawless. This shouldn't be difficult to implement?
korvgryta Wrote:200Mbit down and 10Mbit up
I would like to be able to set the buffer size of XBMC, this way 1080p would also be playing flawless. This shouldn't be difficult to implement?

where are you living !!! Huh 200Mbit down and 10Mbit Shocked

I also want to know if it's possible to change how much xbmc should buffer before it starts the file ?

Thanks for any tips
castortray Wrote:I also want to know if it's possible to change how much xbmc should buffer before it starts the file ?

I researched this as well and I found some old threads where the devs basically said, "if you need to modify the buffers/cache, then the problem is elsewhere."

Which makes sense. The problem is the network.

I've used webdav over https to sorta accomplish this task. Everything plays fine except for 1080p videos (they're just too big). Increasing the buffer would be nice so that videos can be paused while the file downloads to avoid buffers, but apparently it doesn't work that way in XBMC. And since this isn't inline with the goals of the project I doubt they'll add that in.

I used webdav because it's built into xbmc. https so everything is encrypted. I can also lock it down with some simple authentication. A simple url like the one below will work when adding a source on an ATV2:

Code:
https://username:password@server:port/archive

Oh yeah, someone mentioned that the metadata wasn't being pulled in. At first all the clients would lock up on the scraping since it took so damn long. I spent a long time cleaning up the archive by adding in the images and .nfo files for everything. Now it's much cleaner and "library mode" is actually useful.
ajayrockrock Wrote:"if you need to modify the buffers/cache, then the problem is elsewhere."

Which makes sense. The problem is the network.

Everything plays fine except for 1080p videos (they're just too big).

that's true Sad
how many mbit you have for "upload" ?
castortray Wrote:that's true Sad
how many mbit you have for "upload" ?

I have 20 mbit up. (I'm lucky enough to live in an area with verizon fios).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using XBMC to access media server through the internet0