Using XBMC to access media server through the internet
Crooksy
How can it be accessed by apple tv 2? Through the internet?
Nucleus Wrote:Crooksy
How can it be accessed by apple tv 2? Through the internet?

It has a nice web browser interface plus there are apps out there for Android and for Apple devices (I use "iSub" for example).

What's cool about the iSub app is that it allows you to toggle "jukebox" mode which lets you use the iPhone/Ipod Touch/iPad as a remote control and play the files through your receiver at home rather than streamed to the device. There is also an Adobe Air desktop interface called "SubAir".

You can also setup multiple accounts and let your friends and family access your media files.
yes, but i have apple tv 2
Nucleus Wrote:yes, but i have apple tv 2

So are you trying to share the same library over different networks using an Apple TV 2?

That's a big task if that's the case.
Yeah, I agree. Once you need to transcode for bandwidth, you are FAR beyond XBMC's features. I would use Air Video to do the job:

http://lifehacker.com/#!5704812/stream-a...n-required

Just make sure the server is powerful enough to do the transcoding on the fly (like it better have a quad core).

Nucleus Wrote:that would mean that I need a computer on the client site also, instead of just the Apple TV 2.

I would suggest a DD-WRT router as the client. DD-WRT has OpenVPN built in.

Obviously you will need really fast internet connections on both ends. I can't understand under what circumstances you would want to do this, but at the same time would be a fun project to see if you could get it working well.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ope...wo_Routers
In the meantime, If you want to easily access and stream a huge range of TV shows and movies, I'd highly recommend you check out the IceFilms plug-in.

I just got it all working and I'm seriously impressed and it's also supposed to work really well for Apple TV.
take a look at subsonic.org

It is primarliy for music but they have recently introduced movies but its still a little bit of a wip
Justcop Wrote:take a look at subsonic.org

It is primarliy for music but they have recently introduced movies but its still a little bit of a wip

I recommended Subsonic a few posts ago Cool
crooksy Wrote:I recommended Subsonic a few posts ago Cool

I too use subsonic (and AirVideo for iPhone/iPad viewing), but the OP has an AppleTV so this is out of the question unless they have another computer/server.

Actually... wait. Where are your media files stored? The last time I checked, the AppleTV 2 doesn't have a builtin hard drive.
Hmmm... is subsonic open source? It has an API that sounds like it would be really easy to use to create a plugin for xbmc (like plexbmc, but this has a method of transcoding and streaming over a web interface).

Could be an interesting tool.
branlr Wrote:Hmmm... is subsonic open source? It has an API that sounds like it would be really easy to use to create a plugin for xbmc (like plexbmc, but this has a method of transcoding and streaming over a web interface).

Could be an interesting tool.

Yep it's open source, I'd have your babies if you created a subsonic plugin Eek

This would allow for a very quick and easy multi room setup.
crooksy Wrote:Yep it's open source, I'd have your babies if you created a subsonic plugin Eek

This would allow for a very quick and easy multi room setup.

LOL well this is beyond me, but some python-ing mofo around here should look into this!

Yeah, it'd be great if xbmc could use this, because it also has it's own already-awesome webgui and ipod/iphone/android/win7phone apps, so only one plugin would be running to give you access to all of your media, everywhere.

The only down side I see to this is that, ideally, it'd be great if you could access your plugins through this interface, though that's a lot to ask maybe.
branlr Wrote:LOL well this is beyond me, but some python-ing mofo around here should look into this!

Yeah, it'd be great if xbmc could use this, because it also has it's own already-awesome webgui and ipod/iphone/android/win7phone apps, so only one plugin would be running to give you access to all of your media, everywhere.

The only down side I see to this is that, ideally, it'd be great if you could access your plugins through this interface, though that's a lot to ask maybe.

That's funny just noticed you live in Chicago - I do too, Laugh
crooksy Wrote:That's funny just noticed you live in Chicago - I do too, Laugh

Haha, maybe we should like, be best friends or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using XBMC to access media server through the internet0