• 2(current)
Start XBMC on ATV2 at boot.
Memphiz Wrote:i bet he used the mainmenu plugin thing somehow ... great thing...

Memphiz Wrote:nope ... once and last again ... xbmc is not an application on atv2 it is an addon for the apple frontend and loaded from it ... nothing we know about unix, or linux or macos will help us for getting it launched other then by selecting it from the apple menu.

That was you a couple of days ago. Rolleyes
Now don't go acting like it's an easy thing to do!

Just kidding!! Rofl
davilla Wrote:Ok campers, you ask for it and now you can have it. Thanks to tomcool (with some poking from me), you can boot the atv2 and have it enter into xbmc directly. No more having to right button over and start it

How to install:

apt-get install org.tomcool.xbmc-booter

How to remove:

apt-get remove org.tomcool.xbmc-booter

If you exit XBMC, it will exit back to frontrow. This package is still being propagated to the various repos so give it a few hours to get pushed up.
Fantastic... Awesome!!
Devices using XBMC
iMac | MacBook | MacBook Air | AppleTV2 | iPad | iPhone4
@davilla

it does not exit to frontrow ... because appletv.app gets restarted at xbmc quit it just restarts into xbmc Smile - so you'll never see the apple software again with xbmc-booter installed...
Memphiz Wrote:@davilla

it does not exit to frontrow ... because appletv.app gets restarted at xbmc quit it just restarts into xbmc Smile - so you'll never see the apple software again with xbmc-booter installed...

Opps, forgot about that one Smile
Hmmm .... I'd love it to boot into XBMC but I would also like to be able to drop back to Frontrow too for the occasional Podcast etc. Shame that if you put this mod in that there doesn't appear to be a way to get to Frontrow.

Oh well. I've managed to train the family how it works now so I can just leave it the way it is.
Never booting back to front row would be great, but I would miss the native Netflix app that exists on front row. If someone could figure out how to launch the native netflix app from XBMC, than that last issue would be solved.
Thanks Tomcool. Might use this in the future!

Regards,

SD
ah if only you could sleep the device from within xbmc and still be able to fallback to front row for airplay stuff.
Ah yes, sleep from within XBMC would be great to have now Smile
i used a little workaround for sleep:

- set xbmc to shutdown after 10 minutes of idle-time (falls back to frontrow)
- set frontrow to sleep after 15 minutes of idle-time

this way, you will have sleeping apple tv 2 after 25 minutes.

for me, i now leave my apple tv 2 up and running all the time, as the energy-usage is quite low.
There are 2 problems with that workaround:
- My atv2 seems to reset the sleeptimer to 'Never' after a random period of time...
- When you install the tomcool.xbmc-booter, xmbc quits, and will be automatically restarted Smile
I was under the impression that XBMC resets the sleep timer to 'Never' at boot, but once it successfully closes it returns to the previous setting. The problem being that if XBMC crashes or does not shut down cleanly the setting is left at "Never"
Image Don't even think about my mother!
You guys make things possible, which never ever gonna happen. Are there any explanations how you did this miracle?
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
Stiffler Wrote:I was under the impression that XBMC resets the sleep timer to 'Never' at boot, but once it successfully closes it returns to the previous setting. The problem being that if XBMC crashes or does not shut down cleanly the setting is left at "Never"

Seems a plausible explanation. I had a few crashes due to too heavy loads when testing skins.

Is it possible to disable this behavior? So XBMC doesn't touch the sleep-setting?
Fire69 Wrote:Seems a plausible explanation. I had a few crashes due to too heavy loads when testing skins.

Is it possible to disable this behavior? So XBMC doesn't touch the sleep-setting?

I believe there was a problem with the sleep function interrupting the functionality of xbmc, which is why it gets disabled now on starting xbmc.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start XBMC on ATV2 at boot.1