[WINDOWS] Vdr plugin not working on Windows
Hello

I just started with XBMC with PVR and i got it running without greater Problems on Linux.

I only have problems under Windows.

I pulled the las Git from git://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git and compiled it under Visual Studio 2010. There were no problems compiling it.

But when i activate the vdr-streamdev plugin, xbmc shutdowns immediately.

I debuged the whole thing and ended with an error when the socket for the connection to the vdr is created ( vtptransceiver.cpp, line 150).
On this line the socket should be set in nonblocking mode with a macro. In this macro (pvrclient-vdr_os_windows.h, line 316) is a call to _get_os_handle with the socket pointer. This call just fails.

I am a familiar with C++ but i do not really know what is happening here and why it fails. I think this is also the reason for the error in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93871

I hope there is a developer who could help me with this problem. If there are more details needed just drop me a message.

with reagards

Joniw
first, use vnsi instead of streamdev. streamdev is deprecated (at least that's what the vdr users are telling me)

secondly, you're using a development version, which could be buggy. however, the problem you're describing is probably related to the fact that there's no streamdev maintainer anymore. if nobody steps up to maintain it, I'll probably remove it from the tree soon.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
The vnsi version is not yet Windows/VC compatible and not included in the VS2010 solution.
So, that is not yet an option without fixing the compilation of the VSNI version under Windows.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Hello

At first thank you for your fast responses. I will try to fix the streamdev addopn as it seems to be the easier part compared to get the vnsi addon to work.

I digged a little deeper into the code and it seems that the conversion from a operating system handle to a CRT file descriptor does not work.

For the moment i replaced all conversions so that the addon only uses the operating system handles.

Now i have the Problem that the addon begins to load, but i have an infinite loop in the initialization of the PVR_Manager because the streamdev plugin does not find the server (i am just testing here without the server) and as a result the initialization of the pvr addons is done again and again and never stops.

Normally i think the manager should stop trying to start the addons on a given point or disable the addon (seems to work on linux though).

Do you have any ideas what the error is or how the disconnect is normally handled?

with regards

Joniw
@joniw:
the infinite loop problem has been fixed. "git pull" to get the fix.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

Thank you dushmaniac. Now i am able to start xbmc but everey two seconds i get a popup sysing that the streamdev could not be loaded.

Perhaps the PVR Manager should be disabled if it could not load at least one client. Or a possibility to disable a specific pvrclient.

Is there any reason, why we try to load the pvrclients over an over again?

with regards

Joniw
ah right, didn't think about that popup.

you can enable/disable clients via system->addons->pvr clients
the ones that are marked as enabled will be loaded (over and over until they are all loaded).

main reason is that backends aren't always fully operational on system startup.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

The problem is you can't nearly get into the dialog because the popup comes again and again.

To debug the streamdev plugin i just added a variable which limits the number of tries in the Process() of the thread to one.

Perhaps you should think about an option to disable the popups in the pvr addons or perhaps the manager should catch all messages and than display one error message to the user.
what I said, I didn't think about that popup when I changed that part of the code (less than 24 hrs ago).

I'll remove the popup there.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

hmm the pvrmanager shouldn't be displaying any popup there. could you pastebin a full debug log please. easier to find the bugger that way Smile
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

The pvrmanager does not display a popup. But the streamdev plugin informs the user, that it has lost connection. The pvrmanager than tries to start the streamdev client again which in turn initiates another popup and so on.

To get back to the xbmc menu i have to click yes or not in popup window. If i wait longer than the around 2 seconds the poup appears again so i have to click very fast^^

The real problem there is that on every start, a plugin can initiate a popup in xbmc. Because the pvermanager tries to start a plugin on every turn of the process() procedure, there can be a lot of them.

I have posted the log under http://pastebin.com/TPYL9rR8. As you can see the streamdev client can't find the vdr host and ends which initiates the popup in xbmc (I think its handled in the mentioned addon status handler).
right, it shouldn't do that indeed Smile

little problem: there's no streamdev maintainer and the vdr users say that you should use vnsi instead.

as I said a couple of days ago, I'll probably remove streamdev from the tree in favor of vnsi. having two addons for the same backend mainly confuses people.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

The problem is that the vnsi addon does not work on windows (until now). The problem also addresses all addons which are failing because they all can send suche a popup to xbmc. As a workaround i will restrict the tries to start the addon in the process() procedure.

If i get the streamdev addon to work i will contact you, perhabs you can add a patch to the repository.

If i have any idea about the loading of the addons i will drop you a message or post here.

Thanks for help!

[Edit:] Perhaps it is possible to add a configurable delay for the startup for every addon. This should fix errors when the backends are not ready yet.
if you are editing something, then remove the popup and don't limit the number of retries or add delays. it's working as intended now (except for that popup).
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

Ok but how should an addon react if it cannot connect? Just start up and do nothing?

When i am fixing it i will do it the right way (as it seems there is much to fix in streamdev)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Vdr plugin not working on Windows0