Stop the Madness! Fix your naming issues first.
Randall Lind Wrote:It would be nice if XBMC programmers would allow & and , in names. It seems titles with test are not liiked by XBMC and I need to remove the , and rename place & with and.

I have a lot of movies that use both the "&" and "," in the titles, don't normally have issues with them scraping. Only time I have seen it to be an issue is when the scraped database and the DVD's titles differ. Maybe I have just been lucky, don't know.
The scrape fine in ember etc but don't show up for me in xbmc under movies or TV Shows until I remove the , and replace & with and.
compcentral Wrote:You can do RSS feeds, but this is an excellent idea. You could also create a custom menu item to point to a smart playlist or a video addon for news/sports for now though.

I would do it in a second if I was a programmer or knew what the heck I was doing Big Grin

What I want is a Sports main tab/page that then shows a list of sports (i.e. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) on the right side and then upon selection it shows the scores on the left side with the team logos, name, score, quarter/period/inning/whatever). That would be awesome.

Then have a news tab/page that shows the top headlines from CNN, Google or someone like that. Maybe a list of a couple of providers.

Yeah, if someone could make that happen, that would be great! Smile
I received a PM telling me that the "House" example I used was wrong. I think this is something that should be shared and answered here, so without author's name it reads:

Quote:Dr. House MD is actually named House MD NOT House... most scrapers will autocorrect this, but you might want to use a different example before some smartass points it out:p

To answer this, and not to be the smartass, the shows name is House with a show Id of 73255. There are 2 other english listings for this show. They are House MD and House M.D., but they each have the same show Id of 73255. If you go to that Id, you get a show called "House".

I retested thetvdb.com scraper with each name, and I delete my database before each test. Here are my results. When I auto scrape House I get it every time. When I tested both House MD and House M.D., I got zero on scrape and zero with auto update at start up. I tried a manual refresh on each and both required that I remove the MD or M.D. for it to scrape.

This brings me back to my point, you need to know what the actual name of the show that is in thetvdb.com.

No need to PM me about something that should be shared. I won't say that my way is perfect, but I will say that everthing that I have written, is the way I do it myself, and it works for me. If you get different results, post up here and let me know.
I go a few levels deeper:

Video > Movies > Genre (Action, Animation, Comedy, etc) > Title > Video_TS
Video > TV > Genre (Action, Animation, Comedy, etc)> Title > Video_TS
Music > FLAC > Genre (Blues, Dance, Indie, Folk, etc)> Artist > Album

This makes things more logical and easy to find when using Upnp devices and when in file list mode.

I also keep genres very simple and limit them to under ten.
This is as good a place as any to ask this..

My problem isn't actually correct naming, but how do I find out which movies failed with the scraper? I've been going through my DVD's and have ripped (to .iso) quite a lot of them already. Checking each one individually doesn't sound like a fun thing to do, so is there an easier way? I had a look at the log, but the format of missing movies (there were some obvious errors) wasn't exactly easy to find with a script either.
Makistos Wrote:This is as good a place as any to ask this..

My problem isn't actually correct naming, but how do I find out which movies failed with the scraper? I've been going through my DVD's and have ripped (to .iso) quite a lot of them already. Checking each one individually doesn't sound like a fun thing to do, so is there an easier way? I had a look at the log, but the format of missing movies (there were some obvious errors) wasn't exactly easy to find with a script either.

I had a similar problem and didn't find an easy way. I had a sixth sense of those that didn't or wouldn't scrap and just checked them manually.

You could print off your list of movies in alphabetical order then tick them off as you go along, laborious I know.
I've been thinking about this in case there isn't any easy way. The easiest way I have thought of is printing the list from the db somehow to a text file and doing likewise to my movie directory and then comparing them side-by-side with a graphical comparison tool.

I'll just have to dig out how to connect to the db with Python and the schema first.
gobbledigook Wrote:my only word of warning is that this can take HOURS!!!

No kidding. I recently calculated that between 2008 and 2009 I spent over 60 hours renaming and sorting media. Thank God for sickbeard.

Quote:You could print off your list of movies in alphabetical order then tick them off as you go along, laborious I know.

That is what I do.

Just go in to file view mode, left arrow to the side menu, and pick stack. Then I page down through my movies and anything without a thumb hasn't been scraped into to my Library yet. That's how I have done it.
getting the naming conventions right can take some time, but the pay off is huge. I have been using ember media manager for my movies and self created tv shows...gets the job done and stream lines the process, tell it where to look and your naming conventions and your set...
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Tight_wad Wrote:Just go in to file view mode, left arrow to the side menu, and pick stack. Then I page down through my movies and anything without a thumb hasn't been scraped into to my Library yet. That's how I have done it.

This is exactly how I do it. I go into File mode and scroll through the list. Anything where the thumbnail is the default XBMC video icon means that it has failed to be scraped.

Usually happens with my foreign language films.
Actually this might work. In pseudo-python etc, since I don't have xbmc available from this comp & can't be bothered to check the syntax for pysqlite right now. This only works for local files, though, I think (and maybe directories mounted with samba or nfs?).

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import os
import pprint
import re

files = []
library_files = select strFilename from file
paths = select strPath from path where strContent = 'tvshow' or strContent = 'movie'

def media_filter(file):
  m = re.search('.+\.(iso|mk4|mkv)$', file)
  if m:
    return True
  else:
    return False

file_dict = dict(zip(library_files, library_files))

unknown_files = filter(lambda x: x not in file_dict, filter(media_filter, sum(map(os.listdir, paths), [])))

print(unknown_files)
I finally found out what caused some problems in certain directories

eg: lost => 6 seasons

I had to rename (file renamer in batch) to S01E01 - S01E02 - ... and now all is well. (instead of the Lost - Season1 - Episode 2)

Also for the different manga anime's etc..
I use the Fanart view mode in Library view for my movies. Is there a way to have a sort of folder view for multiple movie series?

Like an example, all the Halloween movies. It'd be neat to just see a Halloween folder in the list, and when clicked on expands then shows all the movies in the series. As it is now I have to scroll through all the Halloween movies just to get to the next movies, like the 'I' category.

Anyway, could this be done through naming of files? When I try to create subdirectories they all seem to just get added into the main list. I like the display of the Fanart in Library mode, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stop the Madness! Fix your naming issues first.2