Black screen when playing video in full screen mode
Hi everybody,

I've a really strange problem with playing videos in full screen mode. I hope someone can help me.

Everything is fine when running XBMC in window mode. But the problem appears when switching to full screen mode. In full screen mode I getting a problem when playing a video: the screen will become completely black and the video is not shown.
But it is running because I can here the sound. Also the OSD works fine (the PLAY, STOP, etc. buttons appear on screen).
When switching back to window mode (using ALT+Enter) the video will become visible in the window.
But when switching back to full screen (again ALT-Enter) the screen becomes black again.

My setup:
- Fresh install of Windows XP SP 3 (with all patches and updates)
- XBMC 10.0 (latest stable build from Dec 2010)
- Video card: ATI 6850 with 1GB and latest drivers
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
- Mainboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO (the onboard video-card is disabled in BIOS)
- iMon IR remote (iMon software is installed and configured for use with XBMC)

The PC is connected by HDMI to my Samsung Plasma TV (Samsung 50PS7790) and the resolution is set to 1980x1020 60Hz (I've also tried 50Hz but this makes no difference).

I've tried to connect the PC with a DVI-2-HMDI cable, but again, the result is the same.

The type of video doesn't matter. I've tried MPG, AVI, MOV and videos which are streamed over the internet (using a video-plugin). I've tried videos with SD and HD content.

If I a play the same video with an external standalone-player (like Windows Media Player of VLC) everything works fine. With these players it is no problem to watch the videos in full screen mode.

I've really no idea what the cause for my problem could be.

I hope, someone can help me.
Do you have dxva2 checked off under video settings? If so try unchecking it. If that works, try update your video card drivers.
Thank your for that tip.

I've switch this setting for "Auto" to "Software" and now it works fine.
But of course the CPU load is much higher now.

The video card drivers are already up-to-date.

Do have an idea which part of my setup causes this problem?
Is it
- Windows XP?
- ATI 6850 HD?
- or something else?

I'm wondering if it will work correctly if I upgrade to Windows VISTA or Windows 7. Or would it be helpful to switch to a Nvidia video card?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen when playing video in full screen mode0