Win7 SP1 Stuttering on DXVA playback
Seems like this is a common problem with a number of different solutions, and none that seem to work for me. First, the details:
  • The system is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, just installed last week from TechNet ISO with SP1 slipstreamed by Microsoft.
  • CPU is an Intel E5300, again running 64bit
  • 4GB RAM
  • Video card is a ZOTAC nVidia 430 running "266.58_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe" drivers
  • Sound is running through the video card above for HDMI bitstreaming via WASAPI and is working as expected.
  • Video goes from HDMI out to an Onkyo TX-NR1008 to a Mits HC5500
  • XBMC installed from file "xbmc-10.0.exe", Built on Dec 17 2010 (SVN:35647, compiler 1500)
  • Debug log
  • MediaInfo log
  • Screenshot

I just reinstalled this system where I had previously been using 7MC with Media Browser. I also added the 430 video card and a new HDD. The example file used in the logs above is a 720p video which this system should handle easily, and does without problem in MPC-HC. Outside of the drivers, windows updates (yes, Win7SP1 already has some), XBMC, MPC-HC, and a handful of necessary tools there haven't been any other items installed, including any codec packs. I'm really wanting to make the jump to XBMC for the flexible media management and abundance of control options, but if I can't get 720p content (to say nothing of 1080p) to play without terrible stuttering problems then I simply can't use it.

I've run through a number of the various suggestions listed (fullscreen window vs. true fullscreen, v-sync options, etc) without any success. The thing is, the CPU utilization is low, so it doesn't appear to be trying to handle the decoding in software. Also, a number of 1080p titles work just fine. Further, as noted above, all of the tested titles work fine in MPC-HC without any codec packs installed on the system, or any configuration changes made in MPC-HC.
Try changing the desktop theme to a non-Aero theme.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Try changing the desktop theme to a non-Aero theme.

JR
Aero is now disabled, same behavior.
Turns out to be related to this problem which doesn't have an "official" patch yet. Remuxing the problem media resolves the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win7 SP1 Stuttering on DXVA playback0