GT210 Bit Streaming
I understand from reading another post the GT210 can not do Bit Streaming, in reality what will this mean for me in a Linux setup?

I currently transcode media via PS3 Media server to my PS3 then sound via optical to my amp and video over HDMI.

Will I notice any difference in the sound?

Kimbie
No. Currently there is no HDMI bitstreaming on Linux or Live. Even with the GT430. You are not missing out on anything for the time being.
bmcclure937 Wrote:No. Currently there is no HDMI bitstreaming on Linux or Live. Even with the GT430. You are not missing out on anything for the time being.

Cool that's fine then

Thanks

Kimbie
1. Linux (and a GT210) CAN pass along 8 channel PCM, so if you are dying for HD audio just decode the tracks beforehand using this method:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198879

2. But with that said, I have NEVER met a person that can tell a difference between a DTS core track and real DTS-HD.

i also agree,,,
Maybe if i was an audiophile i would really care about HD-Audio,
but i know my ears cant notice any difference like Poofy said...

Like when ripping blurays,
i plan to keep %100 of image quality while only keeping the normal Dolby or DTS audio,,,
i wont go for the HD audio....
MKV will end up in a smaller size and to me, it would be just as perfect as the real Disc!
Most of the media on my machine is only DD or DTS at the most so thanks for the info.

If it were not so late I would put the card in to give it a test, but I will probably do it anyway lol

Kimbie
I'm satisfied by full bitrate DTS tracks

I can tell the difference between max bitrate AC3 vs DTS. It really is significant.

Just my 2c Smile
bmcclure937 Wrote:No. Currently there is no HDMI bitstreaming on Linux or Live. Even with the GT430. You are not missing out on anything for the time being.

That's not true.

HD Audio bitstreaming is possible on linux provided you use a recent version of ALSA and ffmpeg.

True-HD and E-AC3 bitstreaming has been working for several months ; DTS-HD is officially more recent but has been working for over 4 months now thanks to Anssi Hannula work.

For DTS-HD MA; you need a GT4xx card ; some GT2xx works, but it's not officially supported by nvidia.
Cool. Thanks for the update. Hopefully we see this implemented soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GT210 Bit Streaming0