New HTPC build - need help with parts!
I'm looking to put together a cheap HTPC and I've narrowed down my choices, but need some help selecting which parts.

I do not plan on doing 3D in the future or anything fancy. This is for a master bedroom and really won't be used for anything other than playing AVI/MKV/MP4/MP3/264/Blu-Ray.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 or AMD Phenom II X2 555?
Asus M4A88T-M or Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H? (or other suggestions!!!)

The reason why I am leaning towards the Athlon II is the power savings. I know the Phenom II may be able to be unlocked, but is it worth the effort and power consumption for what I'm doing?

Or is an AMD Athlon II X3 415E (45w) worth the extra $40 over the x2 versions?

EDIT: In reading this http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1056-page5.html It seems like the X2 250 is a no brainer from price/performance standpoint.

In reading it seems like the onboard ATI 4250 video card will support 1080p and shouldn't have any problems playing. Is this statement true? If not, I would pick up an Ati HD5450 Silence card.

Ok, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Since u seem to want a basic 1080P player overall,
why not go with a ZOTAC ZBOX?

[Barebone] Zotac ZBOXHD-ND01-U $229.99 + $8.50 Shipping + $30 off w/ promo code Z30FEB, ends 2/28
or
[All-in-One] Zotac MAGHD-ND01-U $249.99 + Free Shipping
or
[Custom Build] Best place to start if you are gonna build a system from scratch
'
eskro Wrote:Since u seem to want a basic 1080P player overall,
why not go with a ZOTAC ZBOX?

[Barebone] Zotac ZBOXHD-ND01-U $229.99 + $8.50 Shipping + $30 off w/ promo code Z30FEB, ends 2/28
or
[All-in-One] Zotac MAGHD-ND01-U $249.99 + Free Shipping
or
[Custom Build] Best place to start if you are gonna build a system from scratch
'

Thank you for the advice and I appreciate the suggestions. I think because I've always liked building my own systems (i.e. being able to select my own parts and tweak it) and I like the upgrade path. I'm also considering running 2 HDs in a RAID 1 config to host local media. Right now I'm running a Fujitsu Scaleo WHS to a WDTV Live Plus. I like the idea of having a full blown XBMC box that I can play with! Hope that makes sense.

Money wise, It seems I can build my own box close for cheaper than the Zotac (no knock against it, it looks awesome), but have the ability to do more.

So, anyways, I guess my biggest question is which motherboard is better Big Grin And if the onboard video is enough for general 1080 files.
Go with the AMD X2 250. Solid CPU.
$10 more and you can get a Athlon X3 435 on newegg.com!
Yes, free shipping too if your in USA Tongue
Lucky you!

EDiT by ME
OOPS sorry, deal is over Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC build - need help with parts!0