• 2(current)
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive??
@Subliminal Aura --> Get away from my thread!!

and for the others, AHCI insures you get best performance out of your SSD,
yes TRIM works in IDE mode, but whats the point,
all should use AHCI for best possible performance...

@Subliminal Aura --> Get away from my thread!!
numb7rs Wrote:I forgot to activate AHCI before installing Ubuntu. Is it worth reinstalling to reap the benefits?

no, only some Windows OS have problems if you change after the Installation to AHCI Mode, with linux you can switch between AHCI and IDE mode after installing the system.
greetings, Stephan

sraue Wrote:no, only some Windows OS have problems if you change after the Installation to AHCI Mode, with linux you can switch between AHCI and IDE mode after installing the system.

In my experience, the computer doesn't even find the drive if its in AHCI mode without an active partition (might need to reword this sentence). I install the OS as IDE and when the installation is complete, I just switch it to AHCI and it boots normally. I have no clue why this happens (this has happened to me at least 5 times with different hardware).
Eskro we are talking about TRIM not performance. Try to stay on subject.

Here you say ....

eskro Wrote:yes because if your SSD supports 'TRIM' feature,
you must use AHCI in order for it to work!!

Then you change your mind ...

eskro Wrote:yes TRIM works in IDE mode, but whats the point,

So now you agree that AHCI has nothing to do with TRIM ?

You're wrong Eskro like most of the wrong advice you hand out on these forums. This is the point and I'm pointing this out to you so you can learn from it. If you're too immature to take help when you need it then may I suggest that you at least learn how to read properly and more importantly learn your subject matter before advising others.

Peace out
So, no need to reinstall?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:So, no need to reinstall?

no if you use linux, only switch to ahci in bios, under some windows OS you will get a bluescreen after a change, but in linux you can safely do this.
greetings, Stephan

numb7rs Wrote:So, no need to reinstall?

Exactly... As long as TRIM is working then why waste all that time and effort reinstalling ?

However AHCI *is* preferred - we all know that - so it all comes down to how much time you can spare Wink

As mentioned - linux is straight forward but if you're using windows it starts getting tricky. Backup / restore processes may or may not work.
Subliminal Aura Wrote:If you're too immature to take help when you need it then may I suggest

oh my god!! Looks who'S the immature here!!
Arent you the one who enjoys calling me an PoofyHairGuy "SSD Fanboys"??
right here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=770193&postcount=8

arent you the one who also said me and Poofy hold hand in hand
in your post right here? --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=758...stcount=31

and that im Poofy's sidekick too?

here your still laughing at me --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=770...stcount=14

here you call me a Kid --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=759...stcount=37

here your saying i give silly advices --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=758...stcount=28

Your the F***** Baby you St*** F****!!!!!!!

Get out of my thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eskro Wrote:oh my god!! Looks who'S the immature here!!
Arent you the one who enjoys calling me an PoofyHairGuy --> SSD Fanboys??
and arent you the one who also said me and Poofy hold hand in hand??
and that im Poofy's sidekick too?

Your the F***** Baby you St*** F****!!!!!!!

Classic !!!

I'm printing that out and framing it !

Thanks Wink
yeah and print that too --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=771...stcount=23
So basically i can buy a 30GB ramdisk (the smallest SSD available atm) for 0$ and not even have to use an aditional HDD that makes noise (the SSD is dead silent since it has no moving parts) ? That`s news to me....
** a surprise is waiting Subliminal Aura **
'
@eskro:
Your information is indeed incorrect regarding AHCI and TRIM, TRIM is part of the ATA standard and can be executed on any ATA compatible controller, even pre AHCI and it IS useful with IDE as it saves your controller from extra unnecessary work and SSD wear.

Also quite a lot of SSD disks do not support TRIM from factory, you have not informed people that most SSD disks can have their firmware updated with later versions that include TRIM support. I have a 60GB OCZ Vertex II that did not have TRIM from factory and needed a firmware update.

Switching from non AHCI to AHCI does NOT cause windows boot problems unless you have not installed your motherboard/sata drivers AND your running pre Windows Vista. Windows XP does not support AHCI from factory.

I believe your confusing the booting issue with switching between ACPI and non ACPI as Windows installs a kernel depending on the supported hardware that implements a different HAL (Hardware abstraction layer).

Your behavior towards Subliminal Aura is highly childish when all he was doing was asking you to please explain where this information came from and how AHCI and TRIM are linked.

You do NOT own a forum thread, forum threads are in the public domain, and if you cant deal with the responses you get from other users in a fair manner, perhaps a public forum board is not the place for you to be posting.

You do NOT have the right to shout at another user to "Get out of my thread", if you have an issue with the user, contact a forum mod.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
gnif Wrote:Your behavior towards Subliminal Aura is highly childish

whats more childish then calling people names?

havent you read my post here gnif??

it links to all the stupidities he said on me
and even on the Hardware Guru named PoofyHairGuy,,,
just read it --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=771...stcount=23

this explains it all, he's the child in here, period!

someone with only ~112 posts shouldnt go by and blast users like me and PoofyHairGuy that have been in here longer then him
and we created tutorials on how to shop for your HTPC and we both have +1450 posts so, Subliminal Aura needs to respect users, not blast them,,,,

i even received PMs from other users telling me whats wrong with Subliminal Aura!!

all of this is now documented and all infos are gathered and in an hand of the MODS,
things should go back to normal very shortly....

before saying im the child gnif, try to get as much information as you can,
you'll soon know, like many knows already, that Subliminal Aura hasnt been respectful to us
from the start and those proofs are now been looked at...

** a surprise is waiting Subliminal Aura **
'
@esko: I AM a forum admin, I HAVE looked into this matter, and I HAVE replied to your PM, you have just shown your childish behavior yet again by replying to this thread instead of waiting for my reply, so I will make my reply public.

Forum members DO NOT get seniority by post count, or classified a noob or not, for all you know he may have been a reader and user of XBMC for 10 years and have more experience then you have.

I have ~200 posts, I am a forum admin, does that mean you should be a forum super admin, because you can spam useless crap faster. You are this --> <-- close to having your account suspended.

If you cant cope with being indirectly called a "fanboi" then you need to get over it and leave this forum. I hate windows, I am an avid Linux user, you could call me a "linux fanboi", which I would be proud to admit, I wouldn't try to use it as an excuse to go postal on your ass, what a weak argument.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive??4