• 4(current)
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive??
Laserray Wrote:Also question on Page File, MS says NOT to disable, and I have read pro and con??

As far as i can tell,
disabling page file is a good thing for your SSD...
it was listed in my first post but i had to remove it...

Why?
Well, its only because it can cause some issues...
Some apps require page file in order to work correctly...
even if you have 4G of ram. u can still have issues...
its just not worth it because of that..

peace
[quote=Laserray]I

So the Vertex II needs a firmware upgrade and it will do TRIM?
QUOTE]

Have just bought one and apparently supports TRIM out of the Box (even mentions as much on the packaging, although not had a look ont eh command line - need to get that sorted), but I know from reading around other people that got one earlier were talking about firmware upgrades to get it going, so I guess it depends on timing.....
eskro... maybe you could add that osx link to your first post... that way there is one place people can look for all ssd stuff.. theres tons of info out there, and linking and reading through it all takes some time, as im sure you found out.

and if you want add this one i did for linux:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=691...tcount=149

link or cut and paste... as you like...
not a bad idea, but eventually Tongue
I'm running mine off of a 4GB CF card with a SATA adapter, and I have indexing and the page file disabled with Windows XP.

It's fast, and I haven't had an "Windows is out of virtual memory" errors...

-Wes
your right waldo22....
but certain parts the OS or Apps might be written to expect a Page-File...
If so, issues can occur... and thats a fact...

So maybe i can add the 'Disable Page-File' in my list in my first post but,
i'd have to specify that

--> i dont suggest users to do this if system has less than 4GB of ram
--> and even so, issues can still occur with certain apps that need Page-File to work correctly
Quote:but certain parts the OS or Apps might be written to expect a Page-File...
AFAIK there is no smth like direct access to page-file - but there are some apps that request a lot of virtual memory and depends on its code it may:
1) just use os virtual memory (ram + hdd [if enabled]) - so in this case such app will just faill
2) create some temp file on hdd and use it as ram

So if you don't use such app and windown works correct - there is no reason to have it enabled
Before installing Windows 7 is it only the AHCI I should change in the BIOS?

Any reason why I shouldn't use this to set up my SSD drive?
http://www.elpamsoft.com/Downloads.aspx?...%20Tweaker
T800 Wrote:Before installing Windows 7 is it only the AHCI I should change in the BIOS?

Any reason why I shouldn't use this to set up my SSD drive?
http://www.elpamsoft.com/Downloads.aspx?...%20Tweaker

If it does what it says then it may be worth it. On the other hand most of the features are only unlocked with the pay version. Google is your friend here. I just installed my SSD a few days ago and put a fresh copy of windows on it. It probably took me 15 min to do all of this manually (this includes the time spent Googleing).
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
nemek Wrote:AFAIK there is no smth like direct access to page-file - but there are some apps that request a lot of virtual memory and depends on its code it may:
1) just use os virtual memory (ram + hdd [if enabled]) - so in this case such app will just faill
2) create some temp file on hdd and use it as ram

So if you don't use such app and windown works correct - there is no reason to have it enabled

I disabled the page file last night, and I have to agree. I see less disk activity.

I am now playing with imRAMdisk, and XBMC with some interesting results.
Runs better not in portable mode (Huh)
Transparency has never run so flawless. Wink
I have an Intel 80g SSD running Windows 7 Pro with an ASUS Rampage Extreme II mobo. Originally installed the OS normally, which means that the contoller is set to IDE in the BIOS. When I tried to change over to ACHI in the BIOS I would BSOD on boot, until I read to make this change in the registry:

1. Startup "Regedit".
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services.
3. Open msahci.
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify.
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok".
6. Exit "Regedit".
7. Reboot your rig and enter the BIOS (hold "Delete" key during Boot).

Now in your BIOS you can select ACHI instead of IDE under the settings labeled "Hardware Management", "Integrated Peripherals" or something similar.

When you boot back into windows 7, the OS will now recognize AHCI and install the proper devices. Now the system will prompt for one more reboot and, voila .. enjoy the improved SSD performance.

Oh, and, BTW, I would add "Update SSD to latest firmware." to one of the first steps to take. And also add turn off pre-fetch to improve SSD performance.
Harro Wrote:another item to disable is "Defender". Other wise it will auto scan all drives for malware futhering the drive to become active at inactive times.

Question - Why is this a problem with SSDs if it's not with disks, and won't your anti-virus program do the same thing?
Zon2020, its just to tone down disk activity as much as possible...
your SSD wont die if you leave DEFENDER service running Tongue
I'm curious. I realize SSDs that use flash memory have a limited number of writes over the life of the drive, but in a real world consumer application like an HTPC, has anyone actually reached that useful life? How big an issue is reducing disk writes and how concerned should one be about preserving longevity of a current generation consumer SSD, or is the drive likely to outlive the useful life of the HTPC regardless of how it is abused?
You normally don't write on the SSD you are using in an HTPC. You install the OS and that's it. From that point on it's normally read only
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive??4