with Time Capsule without AFP
Hi, Guys!

My biggest headache working with time capsule and xbmc on atv2 is AFP, i presume. As it is poorly supported on xbmc - i makes my xbmc crash always. Is SMB best solution? Or... maybe I should try to sell my time capsule and buy smth else? Thank you.
My AirPort Extreme Basestation (which is basically a TC without an internal HDD) worked fine when I used it over SMB. Some people had issues with TCs and APEBs for both AFP and SMB, so best to just try it and see.
When I use SMB it is always buffering... if i'm trying to watch 6 and more gb movie - it is nearly impossible...
I already noted earlier that the problem of buffering is present on all models of the TimeCapsule except for the first generation. The version of a firmware of a AppleTV2 and of a TimeCapsule don't give any effect.

I repeat that the AppleTV without buffering works only with the first generation of the TimeCapsule!
so... seems to be there is no way out...
Friends!

do you know if Frodo brought us improvements in AFP protocol?
it didn't
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-10-13, 13:00)antah Wrote: When I use SMB it is always buffering... if i'm trying to watch 6 and more gb movie - it is nearly impossible...

I had the same issue when I tried attaching a USB HD to my dual band Airport Extreme base station. I even tried hooking my Mac-Mini directly to the base station via ethernet. Same issue with excessive buffering.
(2013-02-04, 22:09)antah Wrote: Friends!

do you know if Frodo brought us improvements in AFP protocol?

Everytime I played a movie using the AFP client in XBMC, the AFP client would crash one me. This is why I am using samba at the moment. According to what I have been told, the AFP client may be reworked for XBMC 13.0.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
it's a pity.. i have to use firecore's mediaplayer for movies (AFP working perfectly on it) and run xbmc only when i need it for different plugins (iptv that i use a lot)... or i have to buy new NAS which supports better SMB then time capsule...
Friends,

I don't want to raise another post. Is there any progress done on AFP compatibility? Thanks in advance!
nope
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
It sounds like Apple itself is also going to phase out AFP in upcoming Mac OS X versions. Thankfully, improved SMB and NFS support in OS X means that there probably won't be any issue if AFP is dead on all fronts.
I would love to keep on using SMB, but i got time capsule and it doesn't work smooth there.. looks like i'm stuck with useless, but expensive piece of hardware..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
with Time Capsule without AFP0