[WINDOWS] - underscan during video playback, windows7 and xbmc10
Question 
Just recently reinstalled windows and imported my Xbmc setting back to the new installation. Went smooth, every thumbnail back in place etc, library also intact.

My setup has always had some problem with underscan. That I solved by using ATI control panel to slide overscan back to 0% which fills the image to the edges of my tv. This happened after the reinstallation of Windows 7 but was fixed shortly after.

While in Xbmc using video calibration it matches to the screen edges perfectly. Browsing menus is perfect. But when playing a video (tvshow, movie, anime) the display is affected by underscan again.

Using button "m" and using the video calibration from within the playing movie I cannot use the built in overscan to maximize the screen. It stops about 10% off the edge where it starts to disappear instead of expand.
It looks to be the same amount of underscan as Windows had before I used ati control panel to fix the window size.

Manually using underscan in ati control panel to shrink the window is also affecting xbmc menu area.
Having "perfect" overscan in windows and xbmc menu but not during video playback in Xbmc.

My rig:

cpu: Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz (both cores activated)
ram: 8GB DDR2 800MHz (4x2)
gpu: ati Radeon HD4350 Catalyst 11.2
snd: onboard from gpu over HDMI
XBMC: version 10.0
skin: alaska revisited
Debug log
MediaInfo
tv: Toshiba 42X3000 LCD
amp: Yamaha YSP-4000

Please advice, grateful for any help.
My only suggestion would be to be sure you don't have "auto" aspect ratio or akin on your display. When xbmc starts playback it might be resetting hdmi etc and display maybe getting its guess wrong. Be sure to set to forced 16:9. Sorry I can't think of anything else if you already have it this way.
Okay. Seems it was my bad all along.

Code:
Video -> playback -> Adjust display refresh rate to match video - OFF

When activated is just looked bork, black borders around the video output.
That solved it. Don't know what to say Smile

Thanks for your input TheSwissKnife, that got me to go through all settings again.
Apparently, XBMC was changing the resolution/refresh rate to a combination for which you had not adjusted the overscan. Unfortunately, overscan isn't a universal adjustment in CCC, you have to change it for every single resolution/framerate.
minimoe Wrote:Apparently, XBMC was changing the resolution/refresh rate to a combination for which you had not adjusted the overscan. Unfortunately, overscan isn't a universal adjustment in CCC, you have to change it for every single resolution/framerate.

Nailed it! Just as you said.
Went super after I changed between all available refresh rates followed by a "0% overscan" setting for each mode.

Went back to xbmc and enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video".

Thanks all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] - underscan during video playback, windows7 and xbmc100