Trying to decide on a XMBC dedicated machine
Ethereal_Gaz Wrote:Acidpunk, I think we have the same wishlist, except mine's for the bedroom so I was also hoping for silent.

The Ebuyer deals on the 3700 are pretty good so I was considering those at first. Then I saw the shuttle XS35 builds are silent. Only problem is nobody on here seems to be able to give any details on ION running UK stuff.

Think I'll start a thread, there must be someone in the UK running these on ION.

Yeah that's exactly my concern, I don't stream much but when I do it's usually from iPlayer or Veetle or such.

eskro Wrote:Yes, Drivers!!
ATI is not good under Linux as of today...
Tomorrow, we dont now...
But as i said, just dont!!
you've been alerted Smile

Yeah I suppose that is the one negative, However I was able to put a E-350 together with 4GB of DDR3 an Antec ISK-300 case and still not break the bank leaving room for the possibility of an SSD

I'm really starting to wonder whether I should just forgo the iTX formfactor and just build something like a Media Server which is just a Micro Atx form factor in a small black tower with 4-5 drive bays running Linux / XBMC based on low powered chips.

Because at the end of the day the reason Fusion interests me is the 18w power consumption for Graphics + Cpu that's Hundreds of watts lower than my current setup and translates very realistically to cost per week.

If I went down that route there are obviously the CULV Intels or e version AMD's, also to consider.

I know it wouldn't look as pretty as a Dvd / VHS sized HTPC but realistically based on my budget it may be the more realistic option for what I can afford.

I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this
eskro, do you mean drivers under linux?

any disadvantages, other than cost, if xbmc was running on top of windows 7?
Ethereal_Gaz Wrote:Acidpunk, I think we have the same wishlist, except mine's for the bedroom so I was also hoping for silent.

The Ebuyer deals on the 3700 are pretty good so I was considering those at first. Then I saw the shuttle XS35 builds are silent. Only problem is nobody on here seems to be able to give any details on ION running UK stuff.

Think I'll start a thread, there must be someone in the UK running these on ION.

If you want silent then go for the shuttle and a ssd. I've got revo's, zotacs, shuttles, atv's and god knows what else - for me the shuttle is the best of them all. Silent fast and does everything i want.

Other boxes are quiet - but not silent. Can't hear the fan whilst playing content, however if i'm lying in bed at night and the content has finished playing i can hear the fan on my revo very slightly.
prae5 Wrote:If you want silent then go for the shuttle and a ssd. I've got revo's, zotacs, shuttles, atv's and god knows what else - for me the shuttle is the best of them all. Silent fast and does everything i want.

Other boxes are quiet - but not silent. Can't hear the fan whilst playing content, however if i'm lying in bed at night and the content has finished playing i can hear the fan on my revo very slightly.

Silent not so much of a problem for me thankfully, As long as it's not as loud as an Xbox360 I'm ok.

What do you think is the better option build a straight up HTPC or just jump in and build a home server that's small and hidden away in my living room ?
Ethereal_Gaz Wrote:eskro, do you mean drivers under linux?

any disadvantages, other than cost, if xbmc was running on top of windows 7?

i guess many like XBMC Live (linux) because they can get more
of an appliance feeling since once the HTPC is powered'ON,
XBMC boots straight-up instead of having to boot Windows
which then boots XBMC...

Also speed factor since XBMC Live doesn't require alot of CPU power to run
since there's not really a full blown Operating system running behind it...
Meaning, all your htpc's resources are working just for XBMC Live only!
So you can get away with a lower hand htpc and still get a fluid interface...

however, running Windows + XBMC is more heavier on your system,
but for me, thats not a problem because i build my htpc with that in mind....
I have enough power to do everything fluidly!
And thanks to the SSD's, man, things Fly!!

-hope this helps-
Acidpunk, you absolutely want to run Linux?
It's not mandatory, I do have a genuine Windows 7 Pro License that I got from University from my Computer Science course.

So it's not mandatory but I do prefer Linux for the lower memory footprint especially if using an SSD as the SSD has the limited writes.
Acidpunk Wrote:or just jump in and build a home server that's small and hidden away in my living room ?

Yes.

Acidpunk Wrote:So it's not mandatory but I do prefer Linux for the lower memory footprint especially if using an SSD as the SSD has the limited writes.

If you thrashed (say using it as for avid photoshopper's scratch drive) a modern SSD for ten years you MAYBE could get to its limited write limit. That is pretty much a problem of the past, especially since Windows 7 support TRIM to keep the SSD in top condition.

The main reason to use Linux is to have something that is less like a computer, and more like a XBMC appliance....

poofyhairguy Wrote:Yes.

Well on that note I've started having a look around and seeing I could do something silly at a reasonable price point.

poofyhairguy Wrote:If you thrashed (say using it as for avid photoshopper's scratch drive) a modern SSD for ten years you MAYBE could get to its limited write limit. That is pretty much a problem of the past, especially since Windows 7 support TRIM to keep the SSD in top condition.

The main reason to use Linux is to have something that is less like a computer, and more like a XBMC appliance....

Well yeah your probably right on that, And yeah who doesn't want to boot directly into XBMC without feeling like it's just another computer.

Right so here's what I've come up with so far on the Mini Nas / Server / Media centre.

Case : http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pro...=68&g=spec

Motherboard : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-e35m...s-mini-itx

From there any PSU that's cheap quiet and efficient, Ram about 2GB of DDR and a WD Green 2TB drive and add them as needed.

I know this build isn't ideal for XMBC live right now. However I have very little doubt there will be working drivers soon enough so I don't really worry about that so much of course I can always use Windows if I can't get it to work in the mean time and switch when fixes are ready.

What do you think Poofy ?
I love that case and the mobo is 1080p worthy. Get a decent 80 Plus Bronze PSU, like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/380w-ante...atx12v-v23

poofyhairguy Wrote:I love that case and the mobo is 1080p worthy. Get a decent 80 Plus Bronze PSU, like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/380w-ante...atx12v-v23

Exactly what I was looking at, I love Antec products and being Bronze rated would be perfect.

So Here's the rough build fully :

Lian Li PCQ08
Antec Earthwatts 380
Asus/Gigabyte AMD Hudson M1 Fusion
2x2GB Corsair XMS3 Classic
OCZ Onyx 32GB SSD
WD Caviar Green 2TB x1

I mean for now to get started I reckon that's a pretty solid build, there are a few choices people might look at and go hmm though. I'll try to explain them.

Corsair Ram - I always buy Ram with Lifetime Guarantee's, Ram has a nasty habit of failing sometimes not always but if it does being able to get it replaced for free is a great option.

Onyx OCZ - if the SSD is just to boot and hold the OS it doesn't have to be a monster speed drive. Plus the OCZ is pretty cheap.

So yeah I think I've found my build, Just get a small bluetooth Keyboard for it and add Caviar Greens as I fill storage.

if anyone wants to suggest alternate parts to any of the above " bar the case "

I'll definitely consider it, but the case is now mine firmly set dead in stone because it's an HTPC + 6 Sata bay Smile
i use the Loftk Mini WireLess Bluetooth Keyboard...
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Wireless-...B004727NUW

how much is the OCZ Onyx 32GB SSD?
i got the CORSAIR NOVA 32GB!
eskro Wrote:i use the Loftk Mini WireLess Bluetooth Keyboard...
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Wireless-...B004727NUW

how much is the OCZ Onyx 32GB SSD?
i got the CORSAIR NOVA 32GB!

1, Yeah I saw that Keyboard from your build I'll try to find it over here or something very similar

2, I found it for £50 which is the cheapest I've managed to find an SSD so far
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Bluetooth-Key...92ffddc655

http://www.ankaka.com/mini-bluetooth-qwe...47808.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to decide on a XMBC dedicated machine0