Easily Run XBMC in Portable Mode!!
To make it easier to launch XBMC in Portable Mode, Follow this:

Download [Portable Mode].zip
Extract [Portable Mode].exe from it
Place it in the root of your XBMC folder (where XBMC.exe is)
Done!
From now on, to launch XBMC in Portable Mode, just run [Portable Mode].exe!!

File is 100% CLEAN and made by ME!!
Here's it's VirusTotal Report!!
Here's it's Jotti Report!!

FeedBack is welcomed, Enjoy Smile
Question: How is this easier than the user creating a shortcut and tacking on the -p param?

I appreciate you're trying to help, just really unsure of why this makes things much easier for the user. Especially when in general running executables from others should be done with care (this applies just as well to XBMC as it does to any other app).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

because i was trying to teach my friend via the phone
on how to create a shortcut with the -p parameter and since he's not tech-savvy,
he had problems doing so :/

So i thought that he maybe was not the only one...
thats why i created this little portable mode launcher...

File is clean and you can Scan it with your AntiVirus
and you can upload it to VirusTotal or Jotti yourself to triple-check if its really clean,,
and you'll see it is!! Smile

Also makes moving the XBMC folder to where-ever easier for non-tech savvy's
because you dont have to re-create or re-edit the shortcuts path again...
[Portable Mode].exe works everywhere...
Thanks for this Eskro, I used this today after not being able to work where or how to add the "-p".
Nice one!
jmarshall Wrote:Question: How is this easier than the user creating a shortcut and tacking on the -p param?

I appreciate you're trying to help, just really unsure of why this makes things much easier for the user. Especially when in general running executables from others should be done with care (this applies just as well to XBMC as it does to any other app).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Though I'm big believer of everything that makes anything simple and easy, I could not hold back a little Heh, when I read this cause i agree.

Whats the difference between writing: [Portable Mode].exe or XBMC.exe -p

And I'm not counting the small amount but still a hazzle though; to download, unzip, and copy it to the right location.
Making a shortcut in the dir would be 100x faster. I'm not bashing you in anyway, and maybe I'm missing something. So feel free to correct me.

Best Regards tuxen
no need to correct no one,,,

you dont like it, you dont use it
tuxen Wrote:Though I'm big believer of everything that makes anything simple and easy, I could not hold back a little Heh, when I read this cause i agree.

Whats the difference between writing: [Portable Mode].exe or XBMC.exe -p

And I'm not counting the small amount but still a hazzle though; to download, unzip, and copy it to the right location.
Making a shortcut in the dir would be 100x faster. I'm not bashing you in anyway, and maybe I'm missing something. So feel free to correct me.

Best Regards tuxen

I searched portable mode and how to add -p. Whether I was reading it wrong or what I don't know. Being new to Windows none of it made sense to me. This worked a treat.

I tried this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=831249&postcount=9

I don't know what the "Target" field is, none of it looked like that. No quotes, no XBMC.exe....

In the wiki all it says is:
you may run XBMC in portable mode by adding the -p switch to the shortcut used to launch XBMC.

It doesn't say what a -p switch is or how to use it.
I was not trying to correct anyone, I was trying to help saying there's a much more simple way to it. Sorry if anyone took it that way.
I totally agree with you on "don't like it don't use it" and it seems to have been usefull to some. Anyways I think we all should try help each other here and in general.
Hoping not to step on toe's here's another way if you guys feel lost in windows. And im not saying dont use the exe.
You might need " marks around the program file like this "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p if they are not allready there.
In Win7 they are allready there I think. In XP not.

Press F5..
Thanks for that.

For some reason on mine there were no " marks on mine or the XBMC.exe. It was a nightly build I got from elsewhere I was doing it with, maybe that's why.
I noticed that they were there on my win7 machine but not on my winxp @workstation. Weird.

Best Regards tuxen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easily Run XBMC in Portable Mode!!1