What gamepad are you using???
I hope this is posted in the appropriate place... if not, apologies.

I'm about to set up some games on my box, some emulators and some windows games. Do y'all have any recommendations for gamepads? Preferably wireless.

Is response time a problem with wireless gamepads -are there issues with lag?

I've thought about the 360 controller, but the buttons aren't programmable, and I've read somewhere that the d-pad is less responsive for older console games where you want a good d-pad. Logitech appears to have a number of options too.
360 wireless!

all windows games with "live" logo have to support it. Some games just exclusively support that controller and nothing else (without some hacking..). In my opinion its the best controller for windows games if you want to build a gaming htpc and want to play with some friends.

It has no delay, supported by xbmc, up to 4 controller on 1 reciever. You have to buy the special windows reciever to get them working. but you can get them in a bundle.

i got this one with 3 seperate wireless.

Emulators have to be configured to each gamepad so it doesnt matter wich one u got.
Cool, thanks!
DaGround Wrote:360 wireless!

all windows games with "live" logo have to support it. Some games just exclusively support that controller and nothing else (without some hacking..). In my opinion its the best controller for windows games if you want to build a gaming htpc and want to play with some friends.

It has no delay, supported by xbmc, up to 4 controller on 1 reciever. You have to buy the special windows reciever to get them working. but you can get them in a bundle.

i got this one with 3 seperate wireless.

Emulators have to be configured to each gamepad so it doesnt matter wich one u got.

Glad I searched for this as this answers my question as well. I have a follow up question though. Does the reciever work well enough that I could mount it on the back on the pc without any connectivity issues? Or does it have to be mounted in front to "see" the controller? Thanks!
patm95 Wrote:Glad I searched for this as this answers my question as well. I have a follow up question though. Does the reciever work well enough that I could mount it on the back on the pc without any connectivity issues? Or does it have to be mounted in front to "see" the controller? Thanks!

It uses RF signal so it doesn't need line of sight. It definately can be mounted on the back of a PC except for the fact that it has about 3 feet of cable from the usb connection to the receiver. I velcro'd mine to the inside of the tv stand.
I've done some research on this recently from a price/logistics standpoint.

You can charge the 360 wireless controllers from a simple USB -> AC adapter ($1 on ebay) however the PS3 wireless controllers will only charge if they can "talk" to the USB port they are plugged into. This requires more logic on the charger end, so the USB -> AC adapter is out. If you happen to own a cable box with a USB port that's always on anyway you're in good shape. Otherwise you can buy a $15 PS2 controller charging platform (and make sure it's the one that charges from AC) or keep your controllers plugged into a computer that is left on enough to keep them charged. I'm not confident that my HTPC fits that description and it would preclude me from charging my controllers on the couch.

On the other hand: The 360 wireless controllers require a $10 wireless receiver while the PS3 wireless controllers just need a Bluetooth -> USB adapter ($1 on ebay).

I ended up just picking up a pair of wired knock-off PS3 controllers for $10 last week. I'm kind of interested in the new silver wireless 360 controller, but I'm waiting to see if they'll drop a version of it that isn't silver. Releasing the least popular color first has got to be the oldest trick in the book. Tongue
Not Sure Wrote:On the other hand: The 360 wireless controllers require a $10 wireless receiver while the PS3 wireless controllers just need a Bluetooth -> USB adapter ($1 on ebay).
Tongue

Have you tried using the PS3 controller with bluetooth adapter? I kinda looked into it as I have a ps3. It seemed to me that it was somewhat involved to get a ps3 controller working on a pc. I'd be very interested if there was a straightforward way to get a ps3 controller to work on pc. I know my brother said that it worked out of the box on his mac.
From what I have read both PS3 and 360 controllers work fine on Linux, which is what I run on my HTPC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What gamepad are you using???0