update to latest linux os for xbmc
I am currently running ubuntu 10.04 and my setup is running xbmc ontop of a full ubuntu desktop.

Wanted to check other users setup on lucid or natty and if xbmc is running ok on these.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Runs fine on Maverick. Can't get VAAPI to work right with my AMD 3400 though.
I'd like to know this as well - to include are you running an ION chipset and if so is HDMI audio passthru for 5.1 surround sound with AC3 or DTS working for you? I have tried this on 10.10 on two different pieces of ION hardware with ZERO luck. I'm in the process of dropping back to 9.10 as I type this. <sigh> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93217

Right now, IMO, HDMI sound with passthru on ION sure doesn't seem to be working Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
bump
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I am running 3 xbmc systems, all nvidia ION but from different manufacturer's. I just reinstalled every one with Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat (10.10) and AC3 / DTS does passthrough HDMI. I only have one setup that this works on and no way of telling if it works on the other two becuase they both downmix to stereo and use the TV speakers. The setup that seems to be working is this:

Zotac Mag-HD (ION)
Onkyo 607
Sony NX810
Logitech 890

The sound always played through the Onkyo with the TV speakers disabled, I also use the Onkyo as an HDMI switcher. Wired as follows:

Zotac >> HDMI >> Onkyo
XBox 360 >> HDMI >> Onkyo
PS3 >> HDMI >> Onkyo
DishTV STB >> HDMI >> Onkyo
Wii >> Composite >> Onkyo

Onkyo >> HDMI >> Sony

I pretty much followed this guide (minimal XBMCbuntu) to install everything separately except rearranged the steps to suit some testing requirements as follows:

1. Minimal 10.10 including OpenSSH and Samba Servers
  2. Installed python-software-properties & pkg-config
  3. Added ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa (alsa), ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates (nvidia), ppa:team-xbmc/ppa (release), ppa:team-xbmc/unstable (nightly builds)
  4. Updated apt-get
  5. Installed nvidia-current
  6. Installed alsa-base, alsa-utils, linux-sound-base
  7. Ran alsamixer, unmuted everything then stored the results
  8. Installed nfs-common (I use NFS to mount a raid array on each box in the exact same directory)
  9. Installed xbmc, xinit, x11-xserver-utils
  10. Created xorg.conf using nvidia-xconfig
  11. Tested xbmc
  12. Blacklisted lirc_mceusb
  13. Installed lirc and configured for Windows Media Center Remote
  14. Followed this guide to set up alsa, [LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25
    • Only used the alsa configuration part and ignored the rest
  15. Set up fstab to automount my raid array
  16. Ran the script from the following thread to properly set up 23.97 and 59.94 Hz scan rates, [LINUX] HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware
  17. Set up /etc/network/interfaces for static IP
  18. Rebooted
  19. When xbmc launched, added sources
  20. Stopped xbmc and configured for MySQL as well as created a symbolic link to Thumbnails on the raid array
  21. Changed sound configuration to HDMI and HDMI Passthrough and told xbmc that I do have a DTS and AC3 capable receiver and everything was working.

I am not sure if all this information really helps you out but I didn't want to add a reply that simply said it was working for me without a description of how I installed it. Please note that I have three installations and this was the third one I did so by this time I had streamlined the process somewhat. The first one had GRUB2 issues (my fault), the second install had remote issues (I use two Logitech 880 and an 890 on each install respectively) hence the blacklisting of lirc_mceusb. By the time I got to this box I knew I needed to do more configuration with alsa, and so far I have navigation sounds as well as multi-channel sound from every mkv I have, re-encode everything for space reasons and mux in DTS, AC3, AAC, TrueHD, DTS-MA, FLAC, depending on the source. Note that DTS-MA currently only plays the core DTS track and TrueHD also only plays the core AC3 track from xbmc. I do not have any multi-channel FLAC music files so I haven't and can't test if the mapping is correct.
Thank you Waldo!

Very detailed - I will be trying out your suggestiosn ASAP - MUCH appreciated!

Edit: Oh and so far Minimal keeps dorking up GRUB2 by blasting my USB instead of setting up the drive. I'll figger it out :-)

Edit2: Okay, I'm a moron. /dev/sdb is the HDD when booting from a stick. I'm actually installing Ubuntu 64bit server but this is about the same as minimal from what I can tell. I didn't understand why you installed python utils at first but DUH this is what you need to get apt-add-repository working Smile Seriously man, you did a terrific job of documenting what you did. If I deviate it will only be because I install from GIT but you really have laid this out well for me and others - thank you! Hopefully it works out and I will be sure to document gotcha's I find. Curious - why not install Ubuntu Desktop? Would this have dragged along all the crap we don't want?

Edit3: Installing the Gnome desktop environment brings along Pulse - d'oh! Are you using a graphic environment? I will attempt to purge this puppy :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Thank you Waldo!

Very detailed - I will be trying out your suggestiosn ASAP - MUCH appreciated!

Edit: Oh and so far Minimal keeps dorking up GRUB2 by blasting my USB instead of setting up the drive. I'll figger it out :-)

Edit2: Okay, I'm a moron. /dev/sdb is the HDD when booting from a stick. I'm actually installing Ubuntu 64bit server but this is about the same as minimal from what I can tell. I didn't understand why you installed python utils at first but DUH this is what you need to get apt-add-repository working Smile Seriously man, you did a terrific job of documenting what you did. If I deviate it will only be because I install from GIT but you really have laid this out well for me and others - thank you! Hopefully it works out and I will be sure to document gotcha's I find. Curious - why not install Ubuntu Desktop? Would this have dragged along all the crap we don't want?

Edit3: Installing the Gnome desktop environment brings along Pulse - d'oh! Are you using a graphic environment? I will attempt to purge this puppy :-)

I guess I could have been a bit more descriptive in my explanations, I really wasn't trying to write a tutorial just show what I did.

Yeah, the /dev/sdb caught me before and reared it's ugly head on my first upgraded box. It is just a stupid mistake and I shouldn't have made it, took me about 20 minutes to figure out what happened and how to fix it without reinstalling the OS. The next two boxes installed without GRUB issues since I remembered the correct drive spec.

add-apt-repository is so much easier than all the keyring shit since it's just a one liner.

Didn't need Ubuntu Desktop and since each box only had 2GB RAM no need for x64 versions either. These three boxes are dedicated to xbmc only I am not even running bit-torrent or newsreaders or anything else on these boxes. I have another linux box with hardware raid, 4GB ram, Ububtu Server x64, MySQL, also runs any other services linux is good at as well as being my media server. PulseAudio works with the correct configuration but why add to the complexity?

Happy to help.

Note - The reason for blacklisting lirc_mceusb was to solve an issue with double button presses and slow response from the remote. I might not have this 100% correct but I think the problem is that there is a mceusb kernal driver that loads by default without lirc. I did test this by doing the minimal install then after xbmc was installed and before lirc was installed I tested the remote and most, but not all keys worked. When you then install lirc you end up with two modules competing for the key presses from the remote. The issue will then manifest itself as either very slow or jerky response from the remote or double button presses. I found the answer within the comments of XBMCFreak's latest 10.10 v3 post, and the fix works.

As to why I just don't use something like XBMCFreak's distro: He is trying to do too much with the box and there are no options during installation not to install all the extra crap. It is too much work to purge all the extraneous stuff after the fact and thus saves no time in the long run. But if you are looking for a single xbmc instance solution, his is a good way to go.
No problem man, I wasn't looking for a tutorial and while you didn't lay out every single command and explain everything you did a pretty damned good job of laying out the plan that you followed. Truthfully that's really all that was needed, I don't mind doing the work to fill in any blanks.

i did use the correct commands for adding the repo from the commandline, one of the nicer things in the later distro I gotta say! I appreciate that you documented the ALSA and NVIDIA PPA all in one place! You also did the legwork on finding a working ALSA config in another thread - I've spent much time here and hadn't spotted that one. I cannot cofirm the channel remap is perfect but since aplay with 6channel sound would rumble my sub when I thought it should be hitting a rear speaker previously I'm betting it's right! I can confirm it's working fine on my Zotax. Yes, thanks to your work putting this together from other sources I am on a 10.10 box, with compiled from source XBMC, playing proper surround sound! Again, thank you!

This box is normally an appliance and used to be an XBMFreak box. But I really like to run the up to date code and see new features. When the HDD died in my primary box that I used to do this with the Ubuntu nightmare began. I still have a spare "appliance" box sitting now but I'll get this one fixed up good and then do the one that had the HDD die. My boxes also have only 2gigs and don't run much although I'll admit the "spare" was actually supposed to be an Asterisk PBX! My sig has my server config - unRAID has served me well and continues to do so via SMB.

I am however interested in your MySQL configuration. Can you explain here, or perhaps in another thread if appropriate, how you are using that? I'm also interested in how you've saved space for thumbnails etc.? I use .NFO files stored with my media so I'm not sure how you've differed. I use Ember (the older one) to create those files. Still looking for something easy that can directly edit the database XBMC uses so I'm wondering if you've somehow centralized thatHuh

Anyway, I wanted to at least let folks know that what you posted works WELL for 10.10. I did differ by using the server install but honestly I think this is much the same as minimal. I also used 64bit as I was curious, it seems to work fine. I am also running the Gnome-desktop but before launching it the first time I purged Pulseaudio. It's worked fine in the past, not so this time! I am using less than 10gigs of space on this box, I could do this all from a USB stick if I wanted. I have yet to implent the "fixes" you linked for perfect playback but of course I'm interested in trying it. If I kill things I'll start over - I'm getting better at this and learn each time which is kind of the point for me. Much appreciate the help, it's always interesting to learn about how others have set things up and I have enjoyed learning while fixing this issue thanks to your help Smile
A couple of things about MySQL that everyone should remember, It really is for people with multiple boxes that want to share one DB. I have seen no advantage over SQLite with just one xbmc instance. The second is that all your xbmc installations must have the same source location. In my case I map my raid array to /home/xbmc/library. Every box is mapped the same. I use NFS since it is usually faster than Samba, I am not sharing anything from a Windows box, I do share to a Windows box and NFS works fine for that.

I basically set up MySQL using the guide that lifehacker put out here: How to Synchronize Your XBMC Media Center Between Every Room in the House

This only solves part of the problem with multiple installations, thumbnails are another issue altogether with it's own solution. Basically I took an existing Thumbnails directory from /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/ and copied it to my raid array mounted on /media/library/ on it's own box. Note that I then mount server:/media/library/ to xbmc:/home/xbmc/library/. Inside that folder I have a Movies, Music, Television, Videos, among a few other folders as well as a Thumbnails folder. So every xbmc box ends up with a copy of the exact same Thumbnails folder in exactly the same location. The last step is to create a symbolic link from /home/xbmc/library/Thumbnails/ to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/, easily accomplished with this command:

ln -s /home/xbmc/library/Thumbnails/ /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/
This creates a new Thumbnails which is really a shortcut to the one mounted from the raid array. Note that you can't do this while xbmc is running since the real Thumbnails exists and if you delete it xbmc will just recreate it before you could ever create the link.

From this point you can simply update one instance of xbmc and every one has the same info. The reason you must do this after defining sources is that I have found that if every xbmc does not know what the sources are in advance the "Info" does not work. It will play the movies/music/TV/videos just fine, but it does not actually know what the content is supposed to be.

Depending on the speed of your network as well as your raid setup there may or may not be a slight delay displaying thumbnails or starting up content. In my case, every box is on a 1 Gb network (hardwired), and my array is pretty fast since it is a real hardware raid not fakeraid or software based. Still I put the drives to sleep after an hour of inactivity so the first access can take from 5-10 seconds before any of the thumbnails show up but after that the delay is so slight to be almost unnoticeable. The first bit of content can take up to about 30 second to start but after that it isn't much slower than running from a slow local HDD. This would go away if I ever choose to reconfigure and not spin down the drives.

So step by step it might look like this:

1. xbmc installed and configured to use the correct source directories
  2. stop xbmc
  3. Edit /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml to include MySQL configuration
  4. Delete /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Thumnails
  5. Symbolic link the network Thumbnails directory
  6. Restart xbmc

I also use ember and have it set up to only update one of my xbmc boxes, since you and I both have our media on raid arrays all the .nfo, .jpg, .png and .tbn as well as trailer files stay with the movies. I save space by reencoding the movie itself and don't really worry too much about the trailers or the other files since they are so small. My library consists (at the moment) of 600 movies (with about 575 HD movies) and over 10,000 mp3/ape/flac music files and just over 300 TV episodes. I am only using about 55% of my 9TB Raid-5 array. If I ever get hard up for space, I could always dump all the .nfo and .tbn files since they have already been read into the db and thumbnails created, you could always export the db if you wanted them back without rescraping in embermm, I also use an older version of embermm with Rogue's scrapper.

Just as a point of reference, my current setup uses just over 1.7 GB of HDD for Ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC, but I do not have the overhead and storage requirements to compile from source, choosing to use the nightly builds instead. At some point I will likely replace all the drives in the three xbmc boxes with some small SSD's, less power and less heat, quieter too!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
update to latest linux os for xbmc1