MCE Remote and XBMC not working right
Ok, so I got an MCE Remote on amazon (CE Compass) and it works great, but the yellow button and the 4 buttons under the colored buttons do not function correctly.

I want to remap the buttons to do things. I followed the directions on here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78179
Replaced keyboard.xml, ran the reg file and restarted.

But simply put, they do not work! Everytime I press the yellow button I get "MCEKeyPress My TV". I went through and used Showkey and found they key combination (Control+Shift+t). I then looked through the Keyboard.xml and found <t mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(MCEKeypress, My TV, 3)</t>. I've replaced the notifications part with fullscreen and tried other functions that never worked. No matter what I do, it keeps saying "MCEKeyPress"! I'm also at a bit of a loss because I've changed that text to "test" and even went as far as deleting every reference to MCEKeyPress My TV and it still shows up! I've gone through and found various keyboard.xml and remote.xml files and tried to make changes.

I also tried the MCERemote add-on and it didn't do anything either.

I went and regedit and clean house. I then re-added the reg file, no go.

So, what am I missing here? I didn't have any problems getting the start button working to launch XBMC! Now it's just remapping that yellow button and the 4 buttons under them!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here are my modified Media Center shortcuts, hopefully your remote works the same as mine!

on the keyboard.xml

<!-- ****************************************************** -->
<!-- MS Media Center keyboard shortcuts sent by MCE remotes -->
<!-- See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb189249.aspx -->
<p mod="ctrl,shift">Play</p> <!-- Play -->
<s mod="ctrl,shift">Stop</s> <!-- Stop -->
<p mod="ctrl">Pause</p> <!-- Pause -->
<f mod="ctrl,shift">FastForward</f> <!-- Fwd -->
<b mod="ctrl,shift">Rewind</b> <!-- Rew -->
<f mod="ctrl">SkipNext</f> <!-- Skip -->
<b mod="ctrl">SkipPrevious</b> <!-- Replay -->
<d mod="ctrl">Info</d> <!-- MCE Details -->
<f10>VolumeUp</f10> <!-- MCE Vol up -->
<f9>VolumeDown</f9> <!-- MCE Vol down -->
<f8>Mute</f8> <!-- MCE mute -->
<g mod="ctrl">Info</g> <!-- MCE Guide -->
<m mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(MusicLibrary,Albums)</m> <!-- MCE music -->
<i mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(pictures)</i> <!-- MCE pictures -->
<e mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(VideoLibrary,MovieTitles)</e> <!-- MCE videos -->
<o mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(favourites)</o> <!-- MCE record TV -->
<t mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(VideoLibrary,Plugins)</t> <!-- MCE live TV -->
<r mod="ctrl">FullScreen</r> <!-- MCE rec -->
<t mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(VideoLibrary,TvShowTitles)</t> <!-- MCE my TV -->
<m mod="ctrl,shift">PlayDVD</m> <!-- MCE DVD menu -->
</keyboard>
</global>

Obviously you can change the functions but this is how I have mine set up.

Good luck!
@likelinus: you shouldn't tamper with the keyboard.xml in C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps as it's easy to break all the key mappings. Instead create a new keyboard.xml in %appdaa%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps, where %appdata% is an environment variable that points to different folders in different versions of Windows.

You can download a keymap editor from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ which I assume is where you got Showkey from. This will automatically save your keyboard.xml into the correct folder.

Note that your custom keyboard.xml need only contain the keys you want to add or change. Anything in your custom keyboard.xml will override or add to the settings in the system keyboard.xml.

The .reg file and MCERemote add-on only do anything useful if your remote uses the eHome driver. To see if this is the case look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows

JR
likelinus Wrote:Ok, so I got an MCE Remote on amazon (CE Compass) and it works great, but the yellow button and the 4 buttons under the colored buttons do not function correctly.

I want to remap the buttons to do things. I followed the directions on here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78179
Replaced keyboard.xml, ran the reg file and restarted.

But simply put, they do not work! Everytime I press the yellow button I get "MCEKeyPress My TV". I went through and used Showkey and found they key combination (Control+Shift+t). I then looked through the Keyboard.xml and found <t mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(MCEKeypress, My TV, 3)</t>. I've replaced the notifications part with fullscreen and tried other functions that never worked. No matter what I do, it keeps saying "MCEKeyPress"! I'm also at a bit of a loss because I've changed that text to "test" and even went as far as deleting every reference to MCEKeyPress My TV and it still shows up! I've gone through and found various keyboard.xml and remote.xml files and tried to make changes.

I also tried the MCERemote add-on and it didn't do anything either.

I went and regedit and clean house. I then re-added the reg file, no go.

So, what am I missing here? I didn't have any problems getting the start button working to launch XBMC! Now it's just remapping that yellow button and the 4 buttons under them!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simply put your remote is not Windows certified but called compatible! Meaning it does not use the "eHome" driver, insteas its just identified as a "Hid Consumer device" or a similar term which is intel technology rather than Microsoft's own tech.

So what ever you do by reg patching it just wont work! Thats why my reg setup is not working for you.

Like my friend JR said use the "userdata/keymaps" folder and create a new Keyboard.xml file with the modifications you want in it.

Or simply just put my keyboard.xml there and use showkey to find what your non working butons send and change the keyboard.xml as such.

Cheers,
EG.
Thanks guys. I will check into this when I get home and let you know if I can get it working correctly. I really appreciate the help!!
JR and EG, THANK YOU!!!! This worked exactly. When I used KeyMapEditor I was able to create the custom keyboard.xml in my user appdata directory. I think what I was doing wrong all along was I was editing the keyboard file within the userdata and system\keymaps folders from within Programfiles(x86). By editing only the one in my appdata folder, it appears to have worked.

Big thanks to you both!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote and XBMC not working right0