Visualization missing
kevin71246 Wrote:I appreciate the response Keith. So you're saying there are no plans for the XBMC crew to get this running?
I'm can't speak for everyone, but currently the guy doing majority of this port is uninterested in it, so, like most open source projects, if there's the person dev'ing doesn't have a need, the incentive to make it work is very low, esp when there's tons of other stuff.
kevin,
see this link:
http://devcry.blogspot.com/2009/01/porti...phone.html

specifically: Hurdle #3: The limitations of OpenGL ES

You will most likely need to recode huge swaths of visualizations in order even attempt it. I would start with just downloading the source, picking the easiest visualizer and seeing how many times the functions you see in this list that opengl has and ES does not and get a general idea how much you need to re-factor, then figure out what type of hacks on the code you need to perform in order to get the ES-only commands working. Smile To do the 1st part you don't even need the build enviro setup, but obviously to start hacking you do.

Another idea is to find a opengles screensaver and port it into xbmc, so you have a functional 'framework' to shoe-horn the old opengl code into.

Good luck!
I agree with Kevin71246 and other members that would like to see music visualizations on the AppleTV. It was one of the deciding factors for me (being a former DJ) to switch to XBMC instead of just using the AppleTV console. I am eternally grateful to Davilla and the rest of the devs for creating the ultimate home theatre experience IMO. But since hardware seems to be changing with ARM processing and all, maybe we should look into moving away from the current visualizers/ screensavers and start thinking of newer one that support OpenGL ES.

Here's my thinking. Nerd

Some of us have probably downloaded some sort of visualization for their Apple or Android devices. Would it be possible to ask these developers if it would be possible to port their visualizations over to XBMC? That way, our current developers could work on their existing tasks without worrying how to convert the current visualiztions (although I love Project M) and users who were bored with current visualizations (which is the vibe I get from Davilla's comments) get newer eye candy. I think this would help to convert more people to XBMC. What is the consensus regarding this ideal?
My friend has visualization working on his ATV2 on confluence skin.

It wasn't working for him before, then he tried some other skins and visualization worked in one and he went back to confluence and it worked on there too.

It was the second one OpenGL something with the multicolored bars, wireframe and filled bars.
I got it also works in release pre-11.0
I have XBMX Pre-11.0 and not currently working, is there a patch or something I need?
Real version number from xbmc.log is the only thing we pay attention to. we constantly have to ask for xbmc.log... why oh why is it always missing from posts? I just don't get it.

From now on, if someone posts asking questions or help and they do not include a pastebin URL to their xbmc.log... I will pass that post by and ignore it. Sorry but you have to give to get.
Personally I would love to see more audio visualization being included. Maybe some nice retro VU meters to start with. I wish the skin developers would take more care about some eye candy to make the audio fullscreen enjoyable! Personally I don't have a clue if this could be possible?
Check out september version pre-11.0 with mediastream redux and you will find there 2 visualizations avaiable - opengl spectrum and waveform.
kslt Wrote:Check out september version pre-11.0 with mediastream redux and you will find there 2 visualizations avaiable - opengl spectrum and waveform.

Nice effort to start with. Reminds me of of my 286 PC from 20 years ago ;-)
Spectrum and waveform were added to the nightlies sometime in early September. Waveform is very slow and doesn't work well in my opinion. Spectrum on the other hand works very well (though I think it too was slow initially, but is better now) for me and is something I'm willing to live with until some others get ported.
I believe the comment was made once by Keith that we need more OpenGLES (or was it just OpenGL in general?) experts to help bring more visualizations over to iOS. My suggestion would be to find some of your favorite iOS apps, contact their developers, and tell them XBMC is looking for help. The help is a two way street too, since XBMC's iOS devs have done some amazing things when it comes to pushing iOS to its limits.
I don't know if this helps at all I am no developer. Anyway I was looking around after reading this thread and found a post on xda-developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935249 where a person found a ported version of ProjectM on his motorola android phone. There is a developer doing some work on it there who mentioned he had ported ProjectM to iphone. However, I can't find any info on this project.

I actually got the projectm loaded on my android phone and working. Does this info help at all? I thought it might since this is a arm platform and using OpenGL ES right? I emailed the developer but haven't heard anything back regarding where his iphone projectM might be located. Here is the developer's website but I don't see any info about the IOS projectM port on it http://www.aaronlindsay.com/.
morde Wrote:I don't know if this helps at all I am no developer. Anyway I was looking around after reading this thread and found a post on xda-developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935249 where a person found a ported version of ProjectM on his motorola android phone. There is a developer doing some work on it there who mentioned he had ported ProjectM to iphone. However, I can't find any info on this project.

I actually got the projectm loaded on my android phone and working. Does this info help at all? I thought it might since this is a arm platform and using OpenGL ES right? I emailed the developer but haven't heard anything back regarding where his iphone projectM might be located. Here is the developer's website but I don't see any info about the IOS projectM port on it http://www.aaronlindsay.com/.

Sounds like a lead worth looking into. Let us know if you hear anything from the developer.
I contacted the developer of the OpenGL ES port of Project M. He gave sent me a link to his source code and said the Project M developers have completed a OpenGL ES 2.0 version that is even better than his.
Here is a link to his code and what he wrote:

I don't have anything plug-and-play that I can hand you, but the latest OpenGL ES 1.1 portion of it can be found at https://github.com/AerialX/projectM-android (nothing there is platform-specific, it should be fine on iOS as long as you set up an OpenGL framebuffer, context, etc).
You might also want to contact the projectM developers, who've completed a much better OpenGL ES 2.0 port a few months ago.

- Aaron

Hopefully the developer working on this port will add this in to the code base.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Visualization missing0