Wait for hard drive spin up
This is something that I probably should know, but perhaps I'm being dense:

Problem: Hard Drives on remote machine sleep, taking a moment to spin up when serving video. Causes XBMC to completely crash on ATV2 when drive isn't ready. Doesn't seem to be a problem on Windows7 computer. Easily reproducible behavior, and video plays fine on restart and play.

Solution: I would be acceptable to me to add a short delay (lets say 5 sec) for any video to play. This would give time for the drive to spin up, or in other cases, might potentially let a device like the ATV2 to start a buffer for the video.

Do we currently have a method to do this? I thought maybe in advancedsettings, but not seeing anything there.

If not, would this make sense, since we are seeing more and more distributed solutions?
XBMC shouldn't crash if the SMB server doesn't respond. At worst it should just report an error connecting. This sounds like a bug in the ATV2 code.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:XBMC shouldn't crash if the SMB server doesn't respond. At worst it should just report an error connecting. This sounds like a bug in the ATV2 code.

JR

That's what I was thinking as well. Although, I'm not using SMB, I'm using WebDAV - so it could be a bug in that code as well. Unfortunately the ATV2 code is super unstable for me lately, I'm going to give it a few nighties and try again.

And before anyone asks, the debug log shows nothing when it happens, just... stops.
What are you using for your WebDAV server?
Ned Scott Wrote:What are you using for your WebDAV server?

Windows7
Hmm, I'm surprised that webdav behaves differently on different platforms. With SMB I wouldn't be surprised at a difference because it's a native implementation of Windows. However I'd guess (I don't know that bit of code) that webdav is implemented in the same way on all systems.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wait for hard drive spin up0