ATV2 vpn
Hi!
I just wanted to know, if there is a way to setup a VPN on atv2, without using any other hardware. I wanted to watch BBC through xbmc. I know, I can setup a second router with ddwrt running VPN, but I would prefer doing it directly on atv2
Thanks
ya I think there must be a way, iOS supports VPN by default. I hope some one can tackle this issue.
I think you'll find the current solution would be to setup two profiles, one that connects to the local network and another that connects through a proxy.
proxy would not work, it has to be through VPN, I tried to set it up using second router, but my speed goes down big time, so I thought it would be better directly through ATV2
Why would a proxy server based in the UK not work? I'm very willing to try if anyone would like to provide me with a real, fast address Smile

Cheers!!
I would prefer if the process could be manager thru terminal "SSH" to be up or down. i think if we can copy the configuration file from iphone and push it to apple tv it would be possible.

don't you.
mindmo Wrote:I would prefer if the process could be manager thru terminal "SSH" to be up or down. i think if we can copy the configuration file from iphone and push it to apple tv it would be possible.

don't you.

Please try it and let us know if it works. This would be huge if you could get it to work.
I'd like to see a VPN client on ATV2 also, but I do have a nice ATV2 solution working right now with a second router.

This is an ASUS RT-N16 running the PPTP client in the native 1.0.2.3 firmware. I'm getting speedtests to the UK in the 4-5 Mbps range over the VPN, which compares reasonably well to 7 Mbps locally. It's certainly fast enough.
jl2002 Wrote:proxy would not work, it has to be through VPN, I tried to set it up using second router, but my speed goes down big time, so I thought it would be better directly through ATV2

Sorry I was away for a bit. I'm sitting here next to the lovely Lake Champlain in Vermont and thoroughly enjoying Hitchers excellent BBC iPlayer plugin through XBMC 10 Mac and a bit of fighting with getting myself to convince the Beeb thay I'm "really" in the UK.

Happy with all of my success but it's a free proxy server solution, requiring no subscription, and I would like some advice (or education) on how and why what I have works and why I'm struggling to get anything other than localhost to connect following these pretty simple instructions. I'd very much like to streamline what i have and secure it up so let me know what you think.

Thank you Lords of XBMC and please place this in a more appropriate topic if necessary.
this is a great solution

this website is great, http://unblock-us.com/ vpn that works with apple tv 2. ns how it works but you just have change the dns servers on apple tv 2 to the ones they give you and you can access netflix from outsite us, no dd-wrt router needed, no need to have a computer on. This is also great because unlike vpn it just some how masks your location, this means you still get full speeds from your internet connection. i am able to stream hd from netflix on a 4mb line where as with a vpn i would onlu get 1mb speeds. also if your in the uk you can still access iplayer aswell as us websites. I have no idea how this works but it is great solution
bladeds Wrote:this is a great solution

this website is great, http://unblock-us.com/ vpn that works with apple tv 2. ns how it works but you just have change the dns servers on apple tv 2 to the ones they give you and you can access netflix from outsite us, no dd-wrt router needed, no need to have a computer on. This is also great because unlike vpn it just some how masks your location, this means you still get full speeds from your internet connection. i am able to stream hd from netflix on a 4mb line where as with a vpn i would onlu get 1mb speeds. also if your in the uk you can still access iplayer aswell as us websites. I have no idea how this works but it is great solution

This is fantastic! exactly what I've been hoping for. Thanks a million for sharing!
unblock-us.com works great, but it seems to mess up VNC access, apps like XBMC Commander (iPhone app to control XBMC) and the web interface.

Not sure why the DNS settings on the ATV2 would mess up local IP access, but I'm sure it makes sense to somebody who knows more about networking.
update:
problem solved. unblock-us.com did not impact VNC access, it was my error.
No problem is that my BBC iplayer is working rather sporadically and unblock-us.com informed that they don't support JB ATV2.
Would be a great solution if it worked more reliably on JB ATV2

I set up unblock-us.com on the router level and lost VNC access as well. Can't shsh to ATV2 any longer.
Did you also set up your on modem level?
Perhaps reverse lookups are the issue.
http://forum.ivorde.ro/ssh-disable-dns-r...s-t71.html

You could also try putting the atv in your local host file.
Does anyone know how to get in-market MLB.TV games on the the ATV2 using this method?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 vpn0