How come music fanart doesn't work like movie fanart?
Question 
I am running 3 different stations of XBMC in my house, all networked via a 1GB wired network, it all works great.

What I don't get is how come when I drop a piece of fanart in a movie folder it shows up on all three stations but when I do the same thing with music artist fanart it only shows up on the one station I put it on initially?

Also how come even on the one station I have to manually right click on the artist, right click music info, right click fanart, browse to where it is in the folder and then select, movie fanart is done automatically, how come music artist fanart can't work like movie fanart? Thanks

The views look really good, it's just a pain to do it all manually, I am missing something, as usual? lol

Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Need details, like are you synchronizing your userdata/Thumbnails directory across all your XBMC instances, and are you using a MySQL centralized setup?
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
bradvido88 Wrote:Need details, like are you synchronizing your userdata/Thumbnails directory across all your XBMC instances, and are you using a MySQL centralized setup?

No I am not syncing the userdata/thumbs, haven't been able to get that up and running.

No on the MySQL centralization either, I am just sharing my media via windows SMB shares, is there a better way?

Thanks
TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
i think i know what you mean. i have the same nagging issue

station 1 has music stored locally in a shared folder;
example: smb://station1 music
xbmc music library on station 1 is set to scan this one folder, library scans and updates as it should, fanart displays as it should. all is fine.

xbmc music library on stations 2 and 3 are setup to get there music from smb://station1 music on station 1. you update your library on stations 2 and 3, music scans and appears correctly but you don't see fanart shown on station 1.

however, you have movies and tv shows setup in the same fashion yet the same fanart shown station 1 appears on stations 2 and 3.

i feel you pain...
If you want to have your fanart images and thumbs be the exact same across all your XBMC instances, you need to use the same path in your sources such as "smb://computername/share/music", and synchronize the userdata/Thumbnails folder across all XBMC instances.

If you are familiar with symbolic links, you can just have all your XBMC instances point to the same Thumbnails folder using symbolic links. I do this with 4 XBMC instances, and it works great. I also synchronize my sources.xml, favourites.xml and playlists folder in the same way with symlinks to keep everything consistent.

A MySQL server set up is not required, but there are many added benefits of using it with a multi-room XBMC setup.
Artist fanart gets placed in the artist folder. XBMC assumes the common folder of all albums (or parent folder in the case of a single album) is the artist folder, so looks for fanart.jpg in there. If present, it'll be detected on scan.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

bradvido88 Wrote:If you want to have your fanart images and thumbs be the exact same across all your XBMC instances, you need to use the same path in your sources such as "smb://computername/share/music", and synchronize the userdata/Thumbnails folder across all XBMC instances.

ok, so if we sync our userdata/thumbnails folder it would get all artist fanart to appear across all the systems. i get it

what i don't get is, why don't we have to sync anything for the movie and tv show fanart to appear from one system to another.
moosenoz Wrote:ok, so if we sync our userdata/thumbnails folder it would get all artist fanart to appear across all the systems. i get it

what i don't get is, why don't we have to sync anything for the movie and tv show fanart to appear from one system to another.

Because you are re-scraping on each system individually as each XBMC finds the new media. This works for movies/tv shows, but may not work for music as jmarshall pointed out above.

If the Thumbnails folder is synchronized, when you re-scrape, XBMC will say, "hey, I already have Fanart for this, i'll use the local copy"
I just dropped a bunch of fanart.jpg's into individual artist folders an rescanned my music library but the new fanart isnt showing up, what gives?

The new fanart only appears if I delete my music source all together and then add it back into XBMC.

TC Sad
tcman47 Wrote:The new fanart only appears if I delete my music source all together and then add it back into XBMC.
I believe this is expected. XBMC doesn't look at your music again once it's scanned in (unless it's name changes or it's removed and re-added).

If you going into the "set content" for your music folder, when you exit you will be prompted to rescan all items, this is one way to force a refresh.
It *SHOULD* work when you rescan. The music scanner is designed to pick up changes in thumbs (unlike the video scanner).

I suspect that it doesn't as you have artist information found for that artist, and the fanart detection code works based on that, rather than being done independently.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

bradvido88 Wrote:I believe this is expected. XBMC doesn't look at your music again once it's scanned in (unless it's name changes or it's removed and re-added).

If you going into the "set content" for your music folder, when you exit you will be prompted to rescan all items, this is one way to force a refresh.

Also, I notice that for whatever reason XBMC sometimes ignores locally stored folder.jpg and fanart.jpg for music. I have to manually go into each artist and browse to the artist folder and set the images. Strange that when I select Thumbs or Fanart, nothing is listed in the Remote/Local list.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How come music fanart doesn't work like movie fanart?0