[ATV2] No sound from XBMC using HDMI to TV.
I've installed XBMC using these instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2

But I'm unable to get any sound. Not even when moving up and down in menus.

In XBMC settings I've chosen HDMI for audio.

Since I get sound when using the Apple TV, without XBMC - it must be something with XBMC that is not working.

Any ideas?

Update: The sound was there all the time. I was just used to the sound when moving in menus - but it seems that this is not currently working in XBMC. When playing music or video - it's all working as expected.
Try setting it to "analogue" it worked for me, when i couldn't get audio in my MKV files.

Don't know if it will help you, but maybe Smile
Nope. Didn't help.
What more can I tell you about my problem? I've searched high and low - but noone else seems to have this problem. Could there be a problem with the installation? Maby I should try to reinstall xbmc (how?).
I've now tried restoring the AppleTV and installed XBMC from the NitoTV menu. But still no success with the sound :-(

Here is my xbmc.log:

http://pastebin.com/URWhTYS3

Any ideas of what could be wrong?

As I said above, the sound is working when I'm in AppleTV.
Have you looked in the Audio Output settings in XBMC? In that window there are two placed to select audio information. I am not sure what they each do exactly but I have both of mine set to HDMI. I am not running an ATV.
I can only find one place in settings. Can you provide more details?
Somewhere under settings there is an audio output window. The top line and the bottom line both have selections for audio settings. I am at work and don't have XBMC on this computer so I can't tell you exactly what the selections say. The top one has selections like HDMI, Analog, etc. The bottom one is like the Audio output selection in System Preferences, HDMI, Line Out, Built in speaker etc.
I've tried both "HDMI" and "analogue" fro the Audio output setting.

The other option, Audio output device, only says "default output device". I'm unable to select something else. Maby that's the problem?
I am brand new to XBMC and Im loving it.
Especially combined with SabNZB, Couchpotato, and Sickbeard.

Im running it off of a Zotac box and not a ATV2 but I also had a couple of HDMI quirks. I dont know the actual menu paths but two things made my audio work through HDMI

First..
There is a Program Addon from an Audio Mixer.
By Default one of the items is on mute. Unmute it and your audio may work.

Second
Under System Settings > Audio settings..
Make sure you dont have the Dolby Device set through or it will be trying to passthrough your audio to a reciever and not your hdmi cable.

sorry I cant be more specific till Im sitting in front of my XBMC setup.
Hopefully this may help
I'm unable go find Audio Mixer. Is there another way to unmute?

Dolby Device and DTS capable receiver isunchecked.
I found Audio Mixer in Programs. I've installed it. But mute was not checked. And I tried fiddling with the options, but they don't stick. Maby Audio Mixer is not for Apple TV?
I've read the digital audio via HDMI in the ATV is often a little glitchy. At least I have heard of similar complaints over on Boxee. I assume the reason you are not just using the ATV's analog stereo out is because you in fact want multi-channel digital audio output. And I'm going to go one step further and assume you want digital audio because the signal eventually goes to a digital reciever.

If so you might try the optical output, as I have had a lot of success using that with my ATV1. I do that because while my digital reciever does have optical ins, my TV is archaic enough to still not have HDMI in.
seand Wrote:I've read the digital audio via HDMI in the ATV is often a little glitchy. At least I have heard of similar complaints over on Boxee. I assume the reason you are not just using the ATV's analog stereo out is because you in fact want multi-channel digital audio output. And I'm going to go one step further and assume you want digital audio because the signal eventually goes to a digital reciever.

If so you might try the optical output, as I have had a lot of success using that with my ATV1. I do that because while my digital reciever does have optical ins, my TV is archaic enough to still not have HDMI in.

All I want is sound. Any sound will do right now Big Grin

I've tried choosing analog, HDMI and optical in the settings. But it doesn't work.

I'm only using my TVs speakers (Panasonic PX80).

The strange thing is that I get audio in Apple TV menu, before entering XBMC.
XBMC does do something different with audio than other programs like iTunes or even EyeTV. You said the audio device is Default audio device. Is there a way to look at what the settings are on the ATV? Maybe the audio output on the ATV is set to something other than HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] No sound from XBMC using HDMI to TV.0