Bit stream PCM audio from Windows (aka iTunes) to XBMC Ubuntu Linux speakers
This solution allows me to use my iTunes music library as usual from my Windows machine while playing bitstream PCM audio output to my nice home theater speakers which are connected to my XBMC Ubuntu Linux machine without using Apple's proprietary AirPlay AirTunes solution.

This is a rough guide based on my individual setup. Please let me know your suggestions for making a more generic or accurate guide. Thanks.

My setup:
Windows 7 with iTunes
Ubuntu Linux 10.10 with XBMC

Install LiveInCode and PuTTY installation package on your Windows machine
* Download and install LiveInCode.
* Download and install the PuTTY installer package.

Set up Windows to record playback which LiveInCode will use as input
* In Windows, right click on your system tray sound icon and select Recording devices.
* Right click on all devices and select Disable.
* Right click on Rec. Playback device and select Enable.
* Right click on Rec. Playback device and select Set as Default Device.
* Right click on Rec. Playback device and select Properties. Navigate to Advanced Tab and select CD Quality as the Default Format.
* Right click on your system tray sound icon and select Playback devices.
* Right click on the Speakers / Headphones device and select Properties. Navigate to Advanced Tab and select CD Quality as the Default Format.

Set up auto SSH login for easy bitstream command
* Launch PuTTYgen.
* Click Generate button and leave this window open when generation is complete.
* Copy "Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file" contents from PuTTYgen window into new ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on your XBMC Linux machine.
* Change directory and file permissions.
Code:
chmod 600 ~/.ssh
chmod 700 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
* Click Save private key button in PuTTYgen and select file location.

Start the PCM bitstream from Windows to Linux
* Plug in an unterminated cable into your headphone jack so you don't have audio playing from your Windows machine and your Linux machine.
* Run the following command (save in .bat file for easy future use). linco.exe is in your LiveInCode directory, plink.exe is in your PuTTY directory, and private.ppk is the private key file you saved from PuTTYgen.
Code:
linco.exe -B 16 -C 2 -R 44100 | plink.exe -i private.ppk user@linuxMachineHost "cat - | aplay -f S16_LE -c2 -r44100"

Now play audio from Windows and enjoy the playback from your home theater speakers connected to your Linux machine! Because the final PCM audio output is the source, any audio enhancements (aka equalizer!) will be in tact.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for post, it worked great for me, I was looking for this kind of solution for some time.

Quote:Right click on Rec. Playback device and select Properties. Navigate to Levels tab and slide Rec. Playback slider to zero (don't mute).

In my case I had to slide to 100.
szymex Wrote:In my case I had to slide to 100.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what impact the recording volume has. For me it works fine at 0 or 100 so I'll remove that part from the guide.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bit stream PCM audio from Windows (aka iTunes) to XBMC Ubuntu Linux speakers0