UI performance on ATV2 advice
Question 
Hi,

I have an old xbox running xbmc at the moment. I think the machine is about to die so i am getting something new.

I am leaning towards the ATV2, but am concerned about the UI performance.

Can anyone tell me if the performance would be significantly different from an acer revo? My library is not that big (800 movies, 1200 tv episodes).

Any advice is appreciated.

A
Yes it will be significantly different.
But you will be able to play higher quality movies (720p) that the old Xbox couldn't handle (as stock).

UI performance is being improved.. I'm not sure it will ever be super smooth but in it's current state it is more than impressive if you ask me.

the Skin probably plays a big factor in the speed of the UI, and i'm sure as time goes by, light versions of skins will probably emerge.

I'd say you'd be missing a trick if you didn't buy the ATV2 solely due to the UI performance.
I switched from an old XBOX to the ATV2 for the exact same reason, and I can't say I've regretted it. Sure, it isn't as fully developed as XBMC for XBOX was, but time will change that. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.
I have not encountered a single thing that the ATV2 CANNOT do... wait one, the navigation click sounds do not work. I use the stock Xperience skin with a hardwired ethernet and it is perfect.

Highly recommended...

Oh, yeah 1080... but it is only $99.
I have an Acer Revo R3610 with 4GB RAM, and yes, compared to my ATV2 it is significantly faster.
On ATV2 the GUI is pretty sluggish.
When playing music there are interrupts when I browse through the interface, browsing through file lists is very slow etc.

Let's hope that XBMC for iOS will become faster in the future.

@danmedhurst: Would you mind deleting that big picture from your signature? Unless anyone here is interested in your upload speed :p
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
I went from an xbox to Revo and ATV so I'll add my 2cents here.

My Revo is the 1600 with 2GB of RAM. Installed miniUbuntu according to the howto on the wiki and then Dharma. I'd describe it as just perfect. Fast. Streams everything, including 1080p @23.973 for movies encoded in that format. Just works as perfect as perfect can be.

The ATV2 is much more sluggish. But it decodes most newer h.264 720p movies just fine. I love the fact that it's small, low power and has Netflix and is reasonably priced at $99. We use it everyday in this household and it works fine.

Now, if I were getting the box only for XBMC, then it will be the Revo. Originally purchased it for <$200 so it's double the cost of the ATV2. Not sure what they are going for now, but it does XBMC really well with stock memory/harddisk. But if you want Netflix, and the ability to rent a movie or two from Apple. The ATV2 is a nice solution. And it's only gonna get better. Both in the XBMC software and I suspect in the Apple software. Think app store, etc....

-dazex
I think we need to be fair to the ATV2... the UI will be significantly affected by skin selected. I have Xperience and it does not feel sluggish at all... I use Wall display for my movies. If I do a Page down (new screen with all new thumbnails) when browsing the wall, by the time my eye focuses on the first thumbnail the last thumbnail has already popped up. I feel this is very user friendly and acceptable for a 10 foot device.

You would be lucky finding a new Acer Revo for less than $300... I am jealous of those who bought theirs for under $200...In the $200 range you could go for a Boxee Box if you could stomach that horribly cluttered interface of theirs. I prefer a 720 ATV2 resolution with a clean UI to a 1080 resolution of the Boxee with that visual vomit of an interface.
UI will speed up over time and as we optimize and learn new tricks.

Remember, this is the very 1st XBMC for arm release. There have been two other development ports (beagle and tegra2) and both of these also showed GUI is an area that needs improvement.
I bought an ATV2 as soon as I heard XBMC was working on it to replace my old Xbox1 XBMC Smile

I got it working last night... and replace it it has!

Its just as good, but has HDMI instead of Component and built in Wireless...

No DVD drive, but that never worked very well anyway.

And this one has a hardware H.264 decoder! I couldn't play SD H.264 with the old xbox...

And the fan and hd were getting really really noise...

Buy an ATV2, its 99 bucks, and its great.

I'm contemplating a second.

I'm sure XBMC-ATV2 is going to progress rapidly Smile
Used xbox xbmc for years. Purchased a ATV2 2 weeks ago and I love it. Silent, play all video, streams works great, built in wifi. When Bluecops Hulu plugin worked it was perfect, and I am sure that will be fixed soon. Netflix is an added bonus.
Likewise. Found the UI a bit sluggish to start with compared to the old XBOX but it does so much more, takes up no space, less cabling and is silent. After a bit of tweaking it's all running nicely and I don't regret my decision. Can't play my Tivo files but that's going shortly but handles my Japanese HD stuff with ease. I sold the old XBOX and accessories for £40 so as a £50 upgrade it's perfect and will only get better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UI performance on ATV2 advice0