Case with an LCD panel worth the extra cost?
Question 
Hello all,

I am not sure what the general consensus is on this, but I was wondering if it is worth getting a case that has an LCD panel on the front.

I am slowly putting together an HTPC build, and I am looking to make a very quiet (if not completely silent) machine using a Zalman case, as I heard they are very quite and proivide good ventilation for passively cooled components. I want to use XBMC LIVE so I am also looking at minimal "fiddle factor" i.e. I don't want to spend 6 months of my life figuring out how to make the LCD work.

Here are the two models I am looking at:

No LCD ~$150.00 (CAD)
Zalman HD-501

With LCD ~ $240.00 (CAD)
Zalman HD-503

The price difference is about 90 dollars (CAD).

What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
marcozd Wrote:I want to use XBMC LIVE so I am also looking at minimal "fiddle factor" i.e. I don't want to spend 6 months of my life figuring out how to make the LCD work.

Then avoid it. Every solution I have seen involving Linux also involves a good bit of command-line hacking. Its not like installing XBMC where you can just add the "LCD Screen" repo and upgrade....

Same LCD as mine except i'm on an antec case. The thing I like best about the LCD is the progress bar which shows how far through / how much you have left to watch. Saves me having to keep pausing and unpausing to find out.

Other than that I could easily live without it and if I was using Linux I probably would be.

Although, the graphic equaliser is kinda pretty.
poofyhairguy Wrote:Then avoid it. Every solution I have seen involving Linux also involves a good bit of command-line hacking. Its not like installing XBMC where you can just add the "LCD Screen" repo and upgrade....

Thanks for your thoughts. I am leaning this way - maybe in future the magical "LCD Screen" repo will be around...Big Grin
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
retro11 Wrote:Same LCD as mine except i'm on an antec case. The thing I like best about the LCD is the progress bar which shows how far through / how much you have left to watch. Saves me having to keep pausing and unpausing to find out.

Other than that I could easily live without it and if I was using Linux I probably would be.

Although, the graphic equaliser is kinda pretty.

Thanks! I can do without an equalizer I think, although the progress bar does sound useful. But I am OK using the pausing method.Wink
I have the HD-501 for my XBMC1 rig. It's a very nice, classy looking case.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Case with an LCD panel worth the extra cost?0