[WINDOWS] MCE Remote + Event Ghost suddenly broken
Ok so I bought a windows remote (RC118 model) over the weekend and spent Sunday setting it up with XBMC + EventGhost. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

It took some fair old working and I'm a bit hazy on some parts cos there was a lot of following of tutorials but the rough jist was:
- Installed latest XBMC release
- Installed latest EG release
- Installed XBMCRepeat which I found in a forum (although I think it linked to a website where I then downloaded the latest)

I think I was doing stuff in the wrong order and what not but eventually I got to the stage where I was seeing my remote commands appearing in EG. One hurdle I came across was EG had "MCE Remote" and "MCE Remote Win Vista/7" as pre installed plugins. The tutorial said install the first but I ended up having to install the second, sounds obvious but that second options asks to install a service which I happily did. The tutorial is a bit old anyway so I figured it's fine.

Anyway, as it was detecting remote commands I was happy, so I pressed on and set up my remote control buttons to do the various tasks in XBMC, no problems. I even, although I don't know how, managed to stop WMC opening when I pressed the green button Undecided

All was good, I spent hours playing with it cos well, it's a new toy, and it's been fine. Opened it this morning as well, no problem.

Came home at 5 o'clock today with a friend to show it off, only to be left embarrassed when it's all broken. I've looked in the EG log, and my remote button presses now log as things like: "MceRemote.RC6mode6_0_800FB40D".

I tried uninstalling the plugins, uninstalling eHome Infrared Receiver (USBICR) from Device Manager, didn't do XBMC cos I figured the problem exists before commands reach XBMC.

Still absolutely nothing. It's working fine controlling WMC again, so no broken hardware. One thing I did notice, when I very first plugged in the USB receiver (on Sunday) it installed 4 things. Even though I uninstalled the device, it only installs 2 things when I plug in the USB receiver again.

Thanks for listening to my story, if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

Chris
Update: Tried logging into EventGhost as admin and the commands now look like this "MceRemote.Unknown.BF5E7FF2DC17E44BC50". I've had similar before although I can't remember what process I did to fix them.
Well, just for the record, I'm running the latest XBMC build (rev.12e8785-dx) and latest EventGhost (3.7.r1486) and all appears to work well on my rig which is Win7 x64.

You sure you have all the plugins necessary installed to run XBMC and EventGhost?

As I recall, with a Windows MCE remote, you need the following installed:
  • EventGhost
  • XBMC Repeat Plugin
  • Microsoft MCE Remote Vista/Win7 Plugin
  • also you need to install the executable file that comes with Microsoft MCE Remote which is named AlternateMceIrInstaller (there's a 64 and 32 bit version)

Here's a link to the thread for the Microsoft MCE Remote Vista/Win7 Plugin --> http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...261e90c566

Below I posted a screenshot of my EventGhost config, so you could see the XBMC Repeat and Microsoft MCE Remote plugins, which might be helpful.

Thanks xboxbox451,

As far as I can tell I had all that which you've mentioned.

Not to sound defeated but I actually came across a tutorial which offers a different solution, not using EventGhost. It used my exact remote and system so I figured I'd give that a try and sure enough it works perfectly now.

The tutorial in question is the one here: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for your help anyway!

Chris
I wouldn't give up on EventGhost, it's an amazing app. Especially when you get into running macros's and the MultiTap Plugin, there's basically nothing your remote can't do.

Check your remotes batteries and ensure they're good, check the alignment of your receiver to ensure your IR has good line of site.

Also, try another fresh install of EventGhost with the proper plugins. Hopefully you'll get it configured properly.

Make sure you install the AlternateMceIrInstaller application that comes with the MCE Remote Vista/Win7 Plugin. After installation of the AlternateMceIrInstaller, start windows task manager, then goto the "Processes" tab, tick the "Show processes from all users" box, and look for the "AlternateMceIrService.exe" service which should appear under the "Processes" column. If it appears, then you at least know the service is running.

Make sure you're properly adding your remote control events with the XBMC Repeat commands.

Another thing I just saw, it appears the Dev of the XBMC Repeat plugin created a newer version called XBMC2, and the new version is already included in the latest EventGhost package, you just have to add the plugin and add your remote events with the proper commands. I haven't tried the newer plugin, though you may want to try it. here's a link to the new plugin thread for more info --> http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopi...=10&t=1562

Hopefully all will work well. Good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] MCE Remote + Event Ghost suddenly broken0