• 1(current)
HD-Trailers.Net Downloader - New Version
Ok As you may have seen I have created a new version of HD-Trailers.Net downloader. I tried using ClickOnce as a deployment system. If that worked, the application would automatically update it self on a periodic basis. The problem is ClickOnce's security model means that it must never require admin permission. Where this shows up for end users is that it is difficult to schedule a ClickOnce application to run on schedule using Task Scheduler as Task Schedule requires admin permissions. You can get it to run on schedule but the hoops that HD-Trailer.Net and the end user have to jump through make it inconvenient. I will look ar using a more typical setup package the will install the application normally.

The key new features include

-use of an IMDB scrapper to pull down information on the trailers. Use of the Genre field to exclude or include certain genres. For instance you could configure HD-Trailers.Net Downloader to not download trailers for documentaries
- Create XBMC type movie.nfo files

This is the version I am running on my system. It works more my settings but I have not tested the other settings as well. There is still some work to getting the IMDB scraper to work as well as it is supposed to but the key fields (that will be used by XBMC's Home Cinema Experience) are populated.

I would appreciate any feedback on Version 1.4.
Take Care
Star 
Sounds good... liked the last one, but I can only see 1.3 were is 1.4?
PatK Wrote:Sounds good... liked the last one, but I can only see 1.3 were is 1.4?

Click "view all" or http://hdtrailersdler.codeplex.com/releases/view/59137
I just gave it a quick whirl and it looks nice and working flawless Big Grin Thanks for that!

On the other hand I have no use for just new trailers, a option to scan your movie folder for missing trailers and download them would be awesome. Right now I scraping all trailers for my movies by hand which is a pretty boring task.
I am using HD-Trailers.Net RSS feed to access Trailers so at this point, do I don't have the opportunity to request specific trailers.
Any way to let the app run in the background (possibly as a service... or with a tray icon) and set the app to schedule another rss feed pull every so many minutes. This would eliminate the need to schedule the app launch. Right now I'm writing another .Net app to work this way... it basically spawns your app as a process every so often and runs all the time hidden.
Ahh.. I see that this is open source. I'll see what I can do with it.

Edit: Nevermind... C# is not my language of choice. I'll stick with my plan to write a scheduler app.
[REVISED FOR NEW APP]

To allow easy scheduling of ijourneaux's downloader, I created a general purpose app and could be used to schedule launching it (or any application really). If this doesn't run, you may need to install .Net framework 4.

Download AppLauncher version 1.1.2

You no longer need to manually create a settings.ini file to configure AppLauncher, but you can still do so if you choose. Here is how:

Line 1 = Path to application to launch
Line 2 = Command-Line Arguments (normally leave this blank for regular files)
Line 3 = How often to spawn another instance of this application (in seconds)
Line 4 = Maximum amount of time to allow the application to run before terminating it (in seconds). This is used to make sure there aren't two instances of the same application spawned. You will want this to be sometime before the spawn interval (60 minutes in my example). 3480 seconds is equivalent to 58 minutes in this example.
Line 5 (optional) = Run hidden or not (0 = normal mode, 1 = hidden window)

The new interface:

Thanks. Will try it out when I get home. One thing to watch for with ClickOnce applications. When the application gets updated, the actual location of the executable changes as well. Will your scheduler handle that complication?
Anyone know how to get Cinema Experience to "see" the genre and rating in the .nfo files to use them the way it does with the AppleMovie Trailers script?
I just updated my app to add a tray icon, notifications, and a context menu to end the app if needed.

ijourneaux Wrote:Thanks. Will try it out when I get home. One thing to watch for with ClickOnce applications. When the application gets updated, the actual location of the executable changes as well. Will your scheduler handle that complication?

I wasn't aware of that... Sounds like ClickOnce is a real pain in the @ss. Smile I could search for the newest .application file within a folder (and all subfolders if needed) and if the file in the .ini file is missing, I could launch the newer file instead. As long as the new file is still somewhere relative to the original root folder so I can find it programatically.

This was just a quick fix for me to get this working on my server and if it's useful for others cool. I'm more of a VB.NET person than C# (even though I'm familiar with C-based languages as well)... Otherwise, I'd just build this functionality into your source. I can provide the VB.Net source code for you to convert it for your use if you like... It's rather simple.
found a bug with the timing of the scheduler but I already fixed it and uploaded it. If you happened to download the app before now, just re-download and you're all set. Works like a charm for me.
ClickOnce could be a good idea but the whole premise is that it must be installable without admin permissions. One nice thing is that it will automatically update the application if there is a new version available (whther or not to do this can be controlled). It maintains several versions of the program do that the installation can be reversed if needed.

That part works but since scheduling a task requires admin permissions. Since ClickOnce is design to accomplish tasks without admin permissions, the capabiltiy to schedule the ClickOnce apps is not easy.

I will probaby go to a standard installter shortly.
ClickOnce could be a good idea but the whole premise is that it must be installable without admin permissions. One nice thing is that it will automatically update the application if there is a new version available (whther or not to do this can be controlled). It maintains several versions of the program do that the installation can be reversed if needed.

That part works but since scheduling a task requires admin permissions. Since ClickOnce is design to accomplish tasks without admin permissions, the capabiltiy to schedule the ClickOnce apps is not easy.

I will probaby go to a standard installter shortly.
What happens if you try to add the "rundll32.exe dfshim.dll,ShOpenVerbApplication C:\HD-Trailers.application" as a task in Window's task scheduler? That may also work... Didn't think to try that though.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD-Trailers.Net Downloader - New Version3